Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats Will Get no Favors in the Swamp

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Not that this writer is predicting an upset in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium but so often when one does occur cynics will say aw, they were looking past the Wildcats. After the Wildcats the Gator’s next opponent is Alabama in Tuscaloosa. If that unlikely upset did occur, in this case a good case for that theory could be made. But herein lies the rub on such a belief – the Cats haven’t won against the Gators in twenty-seven years creating a mindset that they don’t to be the team Kentucky breaks the streak on. And from a Gator’s standpoint UK is not supposed to win for obvious reasons.

It’s going to be a tall order for the Cats to pull it off especially with the young offensive unit it has. What makes this season somewhat different for the Kentucky Wildcats is they are not going to the Swamp completely unarmed for battle.

• One of the keys is going to be taking care of the football and granted the competition will be significantly stronger but the Cats have not turned the ball over this season.

• For the first time since 2011 UK has what looks like a quality quarterback and that element is essential to win in the SEC against everybody, not just Florida.

• This season the receivers are catching the football. Can they continue their performance on the road in the SEC? Offensive coordinator Neal Brown said they have been putting a lot of emphasis on what they do when the ball is not in their hands. That’s being physical and blocking. The rub there can be, again, we are talking young receivers on the road. That’s going to make the older receivers very important in these types of situations.

• Players like Demarco Robinson, Javess Blue if he plays, Ryan Timmons, and Rashad Cunningham who Tommy Mainord said will have a roll in this game. Sure only Robinson has been to the Swamp but the all of them have at least gotten a look at Florida’s speed.

• As far as the young Dorian Baker is concerned Brown said he is matured beyond his years. “He like a bull in a china shop,” Mainord said. “He’s going to block anything that gets in his way.” This type of blocking often springs long runs by running backs.

• “We have a lot of Florida kids eager to get back home,” Brown said. Some of them such Jojo Kemp is expected to have as many as fifty-family and friends in the stadium. Defensive tackle Regie Meant said he will have as many as 28 there. “We owe it to or fans to go down there and get a win,” said Meant.

• Brown said this game is going to be a measuring stick as to where they are as a program.

• The Gators obviously present some defensive problems. Vernon Hargreaves is perhaps the best defensive back in the country. Brown said defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. gave them a lot of trouble last year. Of linebacker Antonio Morrison Brown said – “He comes up and really hits.”

• Towles said he went down to the Swamp when Morgan (Newton) played. “It was hot but maybe it won’t be as hot in this night game,” Towles said. He said he has talked to Newton this week to get some pointers on playing in the Swamp.

The Gators are always expected to be tough to beat and they scored an impressive 65-points against Eastern Illinois. But Eastern Illinois gave up 40 or more point in nine of their twelve games in last year’s 2-10 season. How discipline are the Gators? They registered 100-yards in penalties in Eastern Illinois. Let’s tee it up and see what happens.
    Comments 10 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Phil Steele has us a 3 touchdown underdog. Ugh! I still believe it will be a much closer game. It all depends on our offensive playmakers.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by LonnyDemaree View Post

• Players like Demarco Robinson, Javess Blue if he plays, Ryan Timmons, and Rashad Cunningham who Tommy Mainord said will have a role in this game. Sure only Robinson has been to the Swamp but the all of them have at least gotten a look at Florida’s speed.

The Gators are always expected to be tough to beat and they scored an impressive 65-points against Eastern Illinois. But Eastern Illinois gave up 40 or more point in nine of their twelve games in last year’s 2-10 season. How discipline are the Gators? They registered 100-yards in penalties in Eastern Illinois. Let’s tee it up and see what happens.
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      Phil Steele has us a 3 touchdown underdog. Ugh! I still believe it will be a much closer game. It all depends on our offensive playmakers.
      Anytime you have speed in your skill folks, you have a shot at putting up points. Will that be enough? Maybe Phil and the rest of the nation were fooled a bit (me included, i hope) with the 65-point outburst against a team that regularly gave up more than 40 last year. That's a very interesting statistic.
      Terry Blue -
      I could see us in a close game but I can also see us getting blown out
      catmanjack -
      If the O plays like it did against Ohio it will get Ugly and fast.
      The big game is the Vandy one next week, that is a must win in my book.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      I expect a win! of course!
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Anytime you have speed in your skill folks, you have a shot at putting up points. Will that be enough? Maybe Phil and the rest of the nation were fooled a bit (me included, i hope) with the 65-point outburst against a team that regularly gave up more than 40 last year. That's a very interesting statistic.
      Phil acknowledged that UK was much improved. He believes the Florida D and the Ken Roper offense make the difference. It's time for our guys to step it up.
      Terry Blue -
      It helps that we have Heard and Blue (That Javess and not Terry)
      ajp40505 -
      For the first time since 2011 it looks like UK has a quality QB???

Who was the QB in 2011? I think Hartline was gone by then.

Surely Lonny isn't referring to Morgan Newton??????
      Darrell KSR -
      Typo. 2010.
      suncat05 -
      I still feel bad for Mike Hartline. He was thrust into playing QB before he was truly ready because of the follies of Curtis Pulley, had all kinds of injury problems because his O-line could not adequately protect him, and except for Randall Cobb, his WR'S were terrible, at best. Hartline did the best he could under some very difficult circumstances during his time playing for Kentucky.
  • KSR Twitter Feed