Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Damien Harris Unquestionably the Real Deal

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Over the last four decades this writer has seen a number of outstanding running backs but Harris rates in the top three seen in the state of Kentucky. The other two were Shaun Alexander and Alfred “Sonny” Collins who is the all-time leading rusher in the history of University of Kentucky football.

In what turned out to be somewhat of a shootout game at Lexington Paul Dunbar Harris put on a show for thousands of fans. Madison Southern prevailed 49-35. The last time this many fans turned out to see a superstar was on a Saturday afternoon at Lexington Henry Clay High School to see Alexander. Alexander played his college football at Alabama. Tim Couch's Leslie county at Tates Creek drew a huge crowd, too. Harris piled up over 400-hundred all purpose yards and seven touchdowns.

Sometimes during the game while it's no mystery what he's going to do when he touches the ball, it became the biggest mystery when they don't give him the ball. “We're moving him around some in the formation and using him as a decoy,” said the Madison Southern head coach Jon Clark. He said they have some other people that can do some things, too. He no doubt is trying to prepare his team for the stretch run.

It's as though they have to throw the ball to keep from running the score up. “I've actually taken some heat for throwing the ball,” the coach said. “You're up by forty – what are you doing throwing the football? I explained you want me to run the ball when we are up by forty?” He's trying to put them on alert that if he gives the ball to Harris it could be another touchdown.

We ask the coach what he can do to get Harris even better? Clark said - “He's got some things to work on. Kids at this age when they run as much as him they tend to let down a little bit. He needs to continue to get in better shape. His pass blocking is a big emphasis and it's actually getting better. There's always something to work on.”

Harris said that the recruiting process sometimes gets a bit tiring but that's a part of it. “God's blessed me with a great talent and I'm truly humble and appreciative for it,” Harris said. “I try not to complain and I try to take in everything in a positive manner. It does get stressful sometimes but I wouldn't have it any other way.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      Doc -
      The guy had SEVEN touchdowns? In this game? Why would you use him as a DECOY? Give him the effin ball!
      ebarbaau -
      reminds me of the old hooiser movie, the old decoy play still in the playbook . I suggest shelving this play until next year
      dtalbersjr -
      I think he's our version of Marcus Lattimore. Hometown kid who you simply can't let get away. Kids who can affect our program like he can don't come along very often in Kentucky.
      Padukacat -
      I'd say after 7 td and 400 all purpose yds he may have needed some wind so I can see the decoy part
  • KSR Twitter Feed