Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversaton with OG Ramsey Meyers

By: LARRY VAUGHT

When a Kentucky coach describes redshirt freshman lineman Ramsey Myers as aggressive, the Florida native can’t help smiling.

“I have always felt that I was aggressive and could really use that to my benefit, and I do. I don’t think I am struggling but I can get better and have to get better each week,” said Meyers. “I just try to finish blocks. If the guy is one the ground, I am going to keep driving him. I just always try to play aggressive all the time. I love to hit and that’s what it comes down to.”

Meyers was one of four redshirt freshmen — Cole Mosier, Nick Haynes and Kyle Meadows were the others — to play in the offensive line in Saturday’s 36-30 triple overtime loss at Florida.

“We played four redshirt freshmen on the O-line. We played two redshirt freshmen (Meyers and Mosier), one of them a walk-on (Mosier), on every single snap at guards,” said offensive coordinator Neal Brown. “Every single snap. We played Haynes and Meadows a lot at tackles.”

Brown said he was not surprised that the linemen along with true freshmen receivers and freshman running back Boom Williams played so well at Florida.

“That’s why we recruited them. They’re not scared of this moment. It got loud. This was a big-time environment. They never blinked and I’m not surprised one bit. I’m zero surprised. That’s why we recruited them. That’s why a lot of people in the country recruited them. Big-time playmakers and they made a bunch of big plays,” Brown said.

Meyers said he smiles after a big hit because “that shows how much I love it.”

If he knocks a defensive lineman backwards to the ground for a pancake block, there’s nothing better.

“There’s nothing better other than seeing your guy get a touchdown. That’s a big thing, but I would say pancake is pretty close,” Meyers said.

He said that being nasty and aggressive are basically the same for an offensive lineman.

“I don’t think there is too much of a difference. Nasty might just be more of attitude thing but aggressive is more mentality in how you play. But there is not much of a difference. They go hand in hand,” Meyers said.

He says he takes “nasty” as a compliment, but do not call him dirty.

“Dirty is doing unnecessary stuff like penalties. Holding, doing stuff after the whistle. There is really no need for that. But being nasty is doing all you can in between the whistles,” Meyers said.

The whole offensive line could become nasty based on what it has done in three games this year to help sophomore quarterback Patrick Towles revived the UK offense. The group bonded during a summer trip to Gatlinburg.

“We went to a cabin in Gatlinburg and got really close and just had a good bonding experience. We are like more of a family. We are not ever trying to put anyone down. We are all rooting for each other,” he said. “It was a big cabin, so we had fun.”

The group also sometimes bonds at all-you-can-eat buffets.

“We have been to a few and they just always tell the chefs to get ready because we came to eat,” Meyers laughed and said.

Towles even has picked up the bill for the linemen to eat.

“He took us out before the season and the quarterbacks and O-line ate as a team and that was a cool thing just to get closer and build relationship. He picked up the tab,” Meyers said.

Was it a big check?

“I didn’t look at the check, I was just focused on eating,” Meyers said.

Meyers will enjoy an off week with his teammates this week before UK hosts Vanderbilt at noon on Sept. 27 hoping to end a 17-game Southeastern Conference losing streak. That would be a feat Meyers would enjoy, especially if all the attention went to others.

“I just really don’t like ... I am not the type to want attention. I am just kind of like keep my head forward and play football and try to stand out as a player. I am not shy at all. I just kind of do my own thing and stick to myself. I don’t really try to get too much attention,” Meyers said. “If people get attention toward me and see that I am nasty, that’s cool. But I am not trying to get attention. That has never been my thing.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      dan_bgblue -
      In Websters there is a likeness of him next to the listing for offensive lineman. Man I love reading his comments. Thanks a lot for the Q&A
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post