Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with JoJo Kemp

By: LARRY VAUGHT

He was Kentucky’s leading rusher as a freshman in 2013 when he ran 100 times for 482 yards and three scores, a feat that did not overly impress JoJo Kemp after he ran for 1,469 yards and 23 scores as a Florida high school senior when Rivals.com ranked him as the nation’s 10th best multipurpose back.

He suffered through a 2-10 season at UK last year, but the Cats are now 2-0 going into Saturday night’s game at Florida that is close to a homecoming event for Kemp.

Here’s what the talkative, confident UK running back had to say about that game and more:

Question: Are you excited about going to Florida to play?
    Kemp: “Yes, it going to be fun to go and play at home, but it is just going to be another game. Hopefully we come out with a victory. But I am looking forward to it because I am from Florida. But it really is just another game.”

Question: Are you sure this is just another game or did UK officials want to make sure you said that?
    Kemp: “No, man. I am from Kentucky now. I am up here. This is where my heart is at, so we are going to go down there and hopefully win.”

Question: Is this a chance to make a statement about this program?
    Kemp: “Yes. But first we got to do a good job in film and correct all the mistakes we had today because today was not really a clean game. We have to fix the little things and when Saturday comes we will be ready.”

Question: Was there any particular reason you only ran the ball twice in the second half? Any injury issues with you?
    Kemp: “That is just the way the game went. I guess they were just holding me out. That was the coaches’ call. I did pretty good the time I was in there.”

Question: How long before you break a big scoring run like the other backs have been doing?
    Kemp: “Real soon, man. Real soon.”

Question: What do you think of Patrick Towles, a quarterback, have 22 carries counting the five sacks?
    Kemp: “It’s okay. Patrick Towles is a great guy, great player. He is a very dynamic player with the ball in his hands.”

Question: Have we seen everything this offense has to offer yet?
    Kemp: “I don’t think you have seen everything that we have. We still have to fix the little things. There are corrections we can do and we are going to be a lot better as a team as the season progresses.”

Question: Did you like running the Wildcat where you take the direct snap and Towles lines up at receiver?
    Kemp: “Yes. I did that in high school. It is one of the deals where if the coaches need me back there, hopefully we will see a lot more of that as the season goes on.”

Question: Is there more to show in the Wildcat package?
    Kemp: “You all are going to have to see that for yourself. I don’t know what coach (Neal) Brown has planned. He is a very wise guy, so I am pretty sure he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve.”

Question: What do you think of the way Towles is leading the offense?
    Kemp: “Patrick is a great leader on and off the field. I know he will get better as the season progresses.”

Question: Has the offensive line been as good as you expected?
    Kemp: “They are going to continue to get better. Right now they are doing what they are supposed to do. We still have to pick up on little things, but so do the backs and the receivers. Everybody has to get better. As the team progresses and fix mistakes, the bigger things will happen.”

Question: How do the backs react to big plays/runs by other backs on the team?
    Kemp: “It is all love. The coaches have a strategy, so we can’t fault the coaches. We are standing behind them because they know what they are doing. We just have to keep on. Whenever our time to get in, we have to make the best of it. It is just all competition and you have to keep competing out there and at the end of the day we are getting better each and every day.”
    Comments 1 Comment
      dan_bgblue -
      Lots of confidence in the coaching staff from the players. That is wonderful to see
  • KSR Twitter Feed