Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops jokes: "I'm a dumbass"

Kentucky coach Mark Stoops has not had many chances to show his sense of humor with the media here because of the rebuilding task he's faced.

However, he got to do a bit of that after Saturday's 59-14 win over UT-Martin.

Junior college transfer A.J. Stamps had an impressive debut at safety with eight tackles, including one for loss, and a one-handed, leaping interception.

'It was important. It was good. It was good to see," Stoops said about Stamps' play. "You know, I got very creative there when we designed a very fancy defense and went out there and made that play (interception) I did. I taught them how to go at one hand and grab that. That's how we drew it up."

That brought a bunch of laughter from media members. So I shot out the obvious follow-up question to him: Why didn't you teach that last year (when UK had only one interception)?

Stoops looked, laughed and shook his head.

"That's good," he said while laughing.

Then he added, "I'm a dumbass."

No, he's far from that but he's honest and for his first time at UK got to enjoy a win where both the offense and defense made plays, the fans left feeling good and he got to show the sense of humor I've heard so much about.
    Comments 1 Comment
      CitizenBBN -
      I got to meet Coach Stoops a few weeks ago. I came away hugely impressed with him and the staff. Great bunch of guys, very real, very smart. He seemed to have a good sense of humor as well, nice that he got to show it.

Also a great comment on the game today b/c it was obvious in every way that the key to winning is recruiting and better players will make a coach look a lot smarter.

Five first half TDs, 4 from new guys. Also clear what Stoops was saying about SEC depth. they got some SEC quality guys in this last class, had a few here already, but not nearly enough to go toe to toe yet.

last - great comeback Larry. Very funny followup. I'm sure Stoops did get a good laugh from it, probably will later too.
  • KSR Twitter Feed