Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Some Stoops tidbits from today

Darrian Miller, who played in all 36 games his first three seasons at Kentucky and started every game in 2012 and 2013, has been suspended for Kentucky’s opening game Saturday against UT-Martin.
    Redshirt freshman Kyle Meadows will start at right tackle while Jordan Swindle moves from right tackle to left tackle in Miller’s place.
    Kentucky coach Mark Stoops briefly touched on Miller’s status during Monday’s press conference.
    “He is going to have to sit one game for a violation of team rules. He will be back game two,” Stoops said.
    Stoops said it was disappointing to have a veteran leader like Miller miss a game for this reason.
    “It happened some time ago. We addressed the siuation and he will be back in good standing,” Stoops said.
    He also feels that Meadows is ready to go.
    “I feel good about Kyle. He has worked hard. It will be good to get him out there and see what he can do,” Stoops said.
    Kentucky will be without three receivers in Saturday’s opening game.
    Sophomores Jeff Badet and Alex Montgomery are not ready becasue of injuries while Rashad Cunningham also will miss the game for a violation of team rules.
    Cunningham played in six games as a redshirt freshman in 2012 but missed all of last season with academic issues. He was being counted on to add experience and depth. He made eight catches for 80 yards and a touchdown in the Blue-White Spring Game and often offensive coordinator Neal Brown had talked about the need for him to become a key player this season with the Cats having to play five true freshmen receivers.
    Kentucky will have senior receiver Demarco Robinson available Saturday and he’s listed as one of the starters.
    He was suspended for the final two games last season, but he has played in 29 games — more than any other UK receiver — and has 53 career catches for 527 yards and two scores. Last year he had 20 catches for 213 yards, including five for 69 yards against Western, and two touchdowns before he was suspended.
    Robinson has been UK’s primary punt returner the last two years (11 returns for 114 yards in 2013) and is listed as one of two punt returners on UK’s depth chart along with sophomore Ryan Timmons.
    "We’re still grooming Timmons. As I said before, I think you’ll see both of them in the first game. Demarco has done it for a while, has experience. He’s comfortable catching the ball. His decision making is better than most just from experience. We’ll continue to get Timmons involved as well," Stoops said.
    Stoops also likes the decisions Robinson has made since his suspension.
    “Demarco is in good standing. He paid his price. He was suspended the last two games of last season. He met the obligations he needed to. He’s back in good standing and will be back in game one,” Stoops said.
    Stoops won't guarantee that redshirt freshman quarterback Reese Phillips will play Saturday, but he said Monday he hopes to play Phillips.
    Phillips and true freshman Drew Barker, who UK hopes to redshirt, are listed as the backup to Patrick Towles.
    "We’ll get into that honestly as we get through this week. I think I’d love to play him. Off the top of my head, I’d love to play him," Stoops said.
    "But you know and I know Patrick needs the reps. We’ve got to get out there, get better, move this program forward. We’ll see how that goes. But to answer your question, I’d be very disappointed if he didn’t play in this game."
    Comments 9 Comments
      CatQuick -
      Thanks Larry! I'm getting football fever and hope the Cats can surprise some folks this year.
      MickintheHam -
      "Kentucky will be without 3 Receivers in Saturday's opening game"

Hell, Larry we have been without ANY receivers for three years!!!
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post

lol. It's funny because it's true.

Times are changing.
      LarryVaught1 -
      Mick, you are the best. Hope you and Katie invite me to your tailgate
      ajp40505 -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post

I disagree. What we've been without is a QB. Without a SEC quality QB, nothing will work.
      suncat05 -
      My question is this: the players know the rules, so how in blue Hades can they not follow them like they're supposed to??

I guess as I'm getting a little older I am just having issues with a dumb@$$ that cannot or will not follow the rules.
      Kacat -
      They know the rules but they are college males doing stuff what a lot of college age kids do. Which is to say they make dumb decisions from time to time. Every school has similar issues so it isn't like this is unique to KY. It's just goes with having a football team.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      They know the rules but they are college males doing stuff what a lot of college age kids do. Which is to say they make dumb decisions from time to time. Every school has similar issues so it isn't like this is unique to KY. It's just goes with having a football team.
      One other thing I think is kinda important.

It happened "some time ago." In other words, this wasn't like the week before game week. They broke curfew, or did something they weren't supposed to do--Stoops has already shown that if it's serious, they'll be given an exit ticket out--and appropriate discipline was established.

Some of the best kids run into discipline issues like that. I remember Erik Daniels and Gerald Fitch being foolish just after Tubby Smith announced a no tolerance policy, believe two weeks before. Broke curfew, used fake id to get into bar underage. It happens. If it happens more than once, it's an issue. JMO.
      Padukacat -
      I like stoops wording of being in good standing, he talks about it like he's running a business which is great!
  • KSR Twitter Feed