Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Stoops says UK has SEC talent/depth at just two spots

To judge what kind of rebuilding task Mark Stoops still faces at Kentucky, consider that he says he only has athletes at two positions — defensive end and running back — that have legitimate Southeastern Conference talent and depth.

His two best defensive players — Bud Dupree and Za’Darius Smith — both play defensive end. They are backed up by sophomore Jason Hatcher, one of UK’s top 2013 recruits.

At running back, Kentucky has Nebraska transfer Braylon Heard and sophomore JoJo Kemp, UK’s best runner last year despite being slowed by bone spurs, at the top of the depth chart with veteran Josh Clemons and true freshmen Boom Williams and Mikel Horton also both expected to play this year.

“I would say D-end and running back I feel good about,” said Stoops Wednesday on the Southeastern Conference coaches teleconference. “Outside of that, we are not there yet.

“It is not fun to be thin at any position. It hurts you in so many ways with how long you can practice, how physical you can be in practice. It slows the development of your program when not deep enough.”

That’s why any progress UK makes this year after back-to-back 2-10 seasons might be a result of Dupree and Smith turning down a chance to enter the NFL draft after last year to return to Kentucky.

“It’s really important for those two to come back. As I said a lot through the off‑season, leadership is the first thing that jumps out at you. But also confidence. Our players see those guys out there, they make plays, are consistent, they’re always there. They’re great to have,” Stoops said.

“I’m pretty tight with my compliments. You know that over the course of the year and a half. I’m really conservative when it comes to complimenting guys until they’ve proved it and earned it. I probably haven’t complimented those guys enough, to be honest with you. They are tremendous football players, great leaders. They’re going to be great pros.

“I’d be very shocked if Bud was not a first‑round draft pick. He’s got to play his way into it, have the opportunity to be a high pick. I truly believe that. I’ve been around a lot of great ones. A lot of linebackers recently at Florida State. Za’Darius the same thing. He could have gone a year ago, a little lower, but has a chance to play himself up into a high draft pick. First couple rounds. They’re both very talented. But Bud is special. He has that ability to play standing up. Put his hand in the dirt. He’s a pass‑rusher. He’s got instincts. With everybody going to a lot of the 3‑4 things, outside backers, versatility, he’s a very good player.”

Stoops said he often doesn’t praise Dupree enough because the senior doesn’t need the praise.

“He comes to work every day. He loves being here. If he was worried about that, he would have left a year ago. He wanted to come back, play himself up into a high pick. He wanted to lead this team. He had unfinished business. I love everything about him, the way he goes about his business. He’s not worried about anything except getting better this year,” Stoops said.
    Comments 13 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Jeff Drummond tweeted out otherwise positive comments though from Stoops:"This off season, this camp, has put us in position to win". "Wide receiver much improved". We'll start with a 5 man rotation at DTouglass and Lewis starting with Johnson, Elam, and Meant coming off bench
      dan_bgblue -
      I think we will see, as the season progresses, that UK is improved, the players are improved, but his comments quoted by Larry are dead on. I truly hope that Towles is a true SEC caliber QB by half way thru the season.
      CitizenBBN -
      There's a man who

a) speaks the truth

b) knows this game and this league.

He's got some SEC talent at the other positions, but not SEC depth. That's just how it is with just 2 classes under his belt, only one he got the full cycle to recruit, inheriting a roster that would have been lucky to win out in a mid major league (and wouldn't have).

He'll get there though. Just need to show enough improvement this year to get another good class, then we're off to the races.
      dan_bgblue -
      If the Cats win 3 or more SEC contests this year, we can all say he was sandbagging.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      If the Cats win 3 or more SEC contests this year, we can all say he was sandbagging.
      We can also say he's the coach of the year.
      Padukacat -
      I've always hoped he wouldn't lose perspective of what it takes to be at the top, that's the only way he can take us there. Sometimes when you're surrounded by a heap of crap you forget what Great looks like.
      jazyd -
      Whether it's the truth or not I wish he would not have said it days before opening the season. If I am a player such as Towles, Barker or Phillips or any number of players I am not happy hearing my coach say I am not good enough for the SEC
      LakeCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Whether it's the truth or not I wish he would not have said it days before opening the season. If I am a player such as Towles, Barker or Phillips or any number of players I am not happy hearing my coach say I am not good enough for the SEC
      Agree it probably was a statement that needed to be said only on the recruiting trail.
      dan_bgblue -
      Motivation jazy. Towles and others that have not proven themselves to be SEC caliber talent should take it that way. If they prove him wrong, they will be bathed in his praise, but they have not done that to date. jmho

The SEC is covered up in 4 and 5 star talent and UK is not
      Terry Blue -
      The way I took what Stoops said is "We have SEC depth at only two positions". I didn't hear him say anything about talent, although could have missed it. That was code for we don't have "experienced" depth at the other positions
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      I didn't take it that way. He didn't say they weren't SEC talent. he said he didn't have SEC depth at any position other than those, it doesn't mean he doesn't have any SEC talent at the positions, just not enough to be toe to toe competitive.

I think they know that, esp. when he's been saying the same thing since he was hired. Doesn't mean Towles and Barker aren't SEC talent, but I think they will be the first to say they aren't SEC hardened. We're starting a babe in the woods in the toughest league football has ever seen. They may be sEC talent, but I'd say it's fair to say that's not SEC depth.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      I wouldn't get my hopes up on 3 SEC wins, 1 would be a start.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      I wouldn't get my hopes up on 3 SEC wins, 1 would be a start.
      Then we can say he was not sandbagging.

I am hoping for more but truly expect only one.
  • KSR Twitter Feed