Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with Matt Elam

Both Kentucky coach Mark Stoops and defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot are not prone to be overly complimentary of players, especially incoming freshmen in the preseason.

However, defensive lineman Matt Elam — who picked UK over Alabama — has had both coaches talking.

"He's so big, but he's so athletic for his size. He's a very unique player," said Stoops. "Guys like that don't come around all the time. He's got a bright future because he picks up on things well. He's extremely athletic for his size.He needs to continue to work to get into shape so he can play at a high level in this conference. No matter what position you're playing, that's hard to do as a freshman, but I really like where he's at, and I anticipate him playing in the first game and being ready to go."

Eliot said just to "imagine a big train going fast down the track" to visualize what Elam's impact could be. He's listed at 6-7, 375 pounds on the UK roster.

"When you see someone that big, you just don't expect to see an explosion and something so quick off the ball, and he has that," Eliot said. "He definitely has a natural talent, but he had some good high school coaches (at John Hardin), and he went through a good program."

Eliot says he's never been around a player so big.

"He's probably the biggest player I've ever been associated with. Coach Stoops and I were at Florida State together. We were at Miami together, and we had some good defensive tackles, but never one that big," Eliot said.

Offensive coordinator Neal Brown has noticed Elam's play.

"He's getting better. He's a load up front. We try to run him side to side and then maybe hit him up the middle. He's really big. Got a lot of football savvy, too," Brown said. "People look at his size, and that's the first thing they talk about. He's got a lot of football savviness about him."

Defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh laughed when told that Elam said he often "irritate" him with his persistence during the recruiting process.

"A lot of times it does happen. You have to get those young men to believe in you and get them to understand you are doing something for them and not to them. That’s the whole process right there," Brumbaugh said. "His personality helps him a lot. He is just the kind of guy who is different. He’s very vocal. But a big lovable guy and that’s the best thing about him."

Elam is also a media favorite because of his wit and charm. However, after being interviewed regularly in high school, he was off limits to the media from his arrival at UK until June until the team's Media Day. He is not available for interviews again until after UK plays its opening game Aug. 30.

"It was kind of relaxing for the football part (not doing interviews). Had something else to take over. But I did miss it a little bit. I kind of like being in the spotlight and kind of having my name out there. I kind of like doing this stuff. A lot of players are shy, but I like this," Elam admitted on Media Day.

"I think it (media) does motivate him. He understands the importance of it and doesn’t let all the pressure get to him. Sometimes guys let pressure get to them and it hurts them, but he is the kind of guy who can handle it," Brumbaugh said.

Elam has seen photo-shopped pictures of him to where he is bigger than the UK library or he's on a train.

"I think it is funny. The players laugh. I don’t take it serious," he said.

He offered his insights on a variety of other things during his Media Day availability.

Question: Are you ready for this season?

Elam: “I would say that I am definitely getting ready. This is a big transition from high school. Not just the physical things, but the mental. The tempo and things, you have to learn so much, so quick. You have to learn everything boom, boom, boom. Man I am like, ‘I just learned that and now I have to learn this.’ If you don’t learn it, you are going to miss it and not just be good on that and that looks bad in the coach’s eyes. I want to be 100 percent in everything I do.”

Question: Did it surprise you at Media Day when Stoops said you would definitely play in the first game?

Elam: “I saw it on Twitter when I was laying down. That’s nice that he thinks I can get in there and play right away. I know that he has ths big like about redshirting people. A lot of people look at it like it is bad, but it definitely a good thing for you. You have a year to learn stuff. That is one of the big things just to learn technique and stuff. He don’t want you to go out there and be on somebody’s highlight tape (for getting beat). That is not a good look if you are out there and not ready and that’s going to look bad on him. He definitely wants players to be ready. I think that means he thinks I am ready and I am proud of that.”

Question: Do you think you are ready to play in the first game?

Elam: “I wouldn’t say I am ready right now but I am definitely learning a lot and I have made a big jump already, so I will be way better. So definitely will be better.”

Question: How are you better now than when you got to UK in June?

Elam: “I was just bull rushing people and using my power. Now I am using my speed and more technique to beat people. Back in high school, there were smaller players and I just overpowered them and get to the ball. Now there is so much technique and everything. People are big and strong too, so you just can’t overpower them every play. Learning all that is making me better.”

Question: Did you have a welcome to college moment where the bull rush didn’t work?

Elam: “It was against Zach Meyers I think. I tried to bull rush him and it worked for a couple of steps and then he anchored down. I was like, ‘This has never happened before.’ You know what I am saying. The coaches said, ‘I told you. You have to use technique.’ Definitely a lot you have to learn and I am learning.”

Question: How do you get along with Brumbaugh?

Elam: “In the recruiting process, he kind of got on my nerves a little bit. I know that he was just trying to get a good player. I enjoy him a lot now because I know he is just trying to help me and be there for me. He is on me about everything, but I definitely need somebody like that in my life. He doesn’t want me to just be like a player that plays here and then goes back to the city. He definitely wants me to improve and be a better player and be above and beyond. So he is definitely helping me be a way better player learning all these different aspects of the game that I have not really learned at the high school. I appreciate him a lot and he’s a good man and knows what he is talking about.”

Question: How did he get on your nerves?

Elam: “Just in the recruiting process every day somebody is calling me. In school people would come see you. It’s not like a bad thing I am talking about him. Just personal. Just lot of coaches when you are highly recruited bug you. But I never took it as a bad thing. That is something you should be humbled about. There are kids who would beg for that type of thing. I was taking it in a positive light. Now he is on me about different things. In there he is like, ‘Man I need you here. You will be a better player under me.’ I definitely realize what he was saying. I kind of like it that he didn’t lie to me in the process. Everything that he told me I would be going through now has helped me be a better player. So I respect him for that.”

Question: How much has senior end Za’Darius Smith helped you?

Elam: “He has helped me a lot. When you come in, you got lot of old players who might not care if you learn. But he wants me ... if I am not there and not doing my job, they will block him and get more pressure on him. But if you have two players on the same side that you have to scout and look over, it is hard because you don’t know who is going to come where or what is going to happen. He is definitely trying to help me and I am going to help him.”

Question: Is the 375 pounds listed for you on the roster accurate?

Elam: “I would say it is about 370, 373. I came in about 390. I lost a lot of weight and got down to 350 range, but I have been building that up because we do a lot of work. Just getting better weight.”

Question: What did the coaches want you to weigh?

Elam: “They wanted me to be around 370, 360 where I can move well. If you are 380, 390, you are not going to be able to move. I feel like they would have redshirted me then, so I took it off on my own and had to get my own weight down. I tried to work hard on that.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Really great comments from him. He seems to be very dedicated to being the best he can be. Going to be a real treat to watch him progress
      kingcat -
      Great stuff. Thanks Larry.
      cattails -
      I think he is a game changer and a good start on building the program that has been awful.
      Darrell KSR -
      Really a special, special player from everybody I trust.

Thanks, Larry--outstanding interview.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post