Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Patrick Towles Wins

This is the day that Patrick Towles has worked for since coming to UK as a highly touted quarterback from Fort Thomas Highlands High School. He is the most experienced of the quarterback competitors having played in five games as a true freshman. His first career drive was against Mississippi State in which he completed 5-of-5 passes for 71 yards capped by a thirty-two touchdown pass. He was then red-shirted in 2013. In the interim he used the time to work on his game.

He sought out some extra help and a gentleman by the name of Donnie Walker popped up. Walker was previously a high school coach. “He's been awesome,” Towles said on Media Day. “He's a huge part of where I am right now.”

Prior to spring practice Towles was scheduled to go to California to work with a quarterback guru named George Whitfield Jr. Whitfield's reputation is well deserved having worked with Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, and Johnny “Football” Manziel to name a few. Whitfield was solidly booked which delayed Towles' visit until after spring practice. Whitfield publicly stated he didn't want to undo anything the youngster had been taught. “He knows what he is talking about,” Towles said. “I definitely learned a lot. It was good to get out there and work out some. He's (Whitfield) got a backdoor approach.”

Towles won the competition between himself, true freshman Drew Barker, junior Maxwell Smith, and red-shirt freshman Reese Phillips. Neal Brown said all the quarterbacks have done a lot of good and some bad but he feels like at the present Towles gives them the best chance to win. He had previously stated that whoever they put under center they can win with. Reese Phillips stated on Media Day - “Whoever starts the team will be in good hands.”

Brown said it was a bittersweet day for the other quarterbacks but they took it well. “It's good because the team needs to know,” Brown said. The coaches (Stoops and Brown) said it was very close but contrary to that statement Towles had separated himself from the pack.

Aside from the outside help what made Towles the top guy? Brown said - “The biggest thing he did was he looked himself in the mirror. Like a lot of kids today it's always somebody else s fault. He said 'what I'm doing on the field isn't enough. He grew up and matured. He made football a top priority in his life.” Brown said he was the most productive in live scrimmages. The coach said he made it clear to Towles that this is just a start and that he needed to take advantage of the opponent.

“I'm am proud of Patrick,” Stoops said. “He worked extremely hard. I'm proud of his work ethic and it wasn't any one thing that won him the job. A lot of people year ago when he was told he wasn't in the mix would’ve put their head down. They quit, they could have transferred but he faced it and got better.”

Mark Stoops would not name a backup. Some of the assets Towles possesses is he is sneaky fast. “He's not fleet of foot and he has a big arm.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      Padukacat -
      Thanks Lonny, I could sense last year the kid just needed a chance to show what he can do with everyone behind him, and he's going to get that now. If he has improved as much as people say, he should be sufficient enough this year to carry us to a few more wins than last year wouldn't you think? QB play last year was a disaster, enough so that we didn't even really run much of the offense this staff came here to run.
      Terry Blue -
      Neal said Maxwell needs to get his arm strength back after his off season surgery
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post