Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Special Teams to the Rescue

By: LONNY DEMAREE

On days like today coaches don't have anything good to say about their team, it's special-teams to the rescue. And that's a literal statement because that phase of the overall football team is lightly regarded by the average fan. But not coaches because it is 1/3 of the team and often-times wins games for them. Stoops perked up when this writer couched a question about special-teams.

What about special teams - "Yeah they're getting there," in a more positive tone Stoops said. "Kickers are doing a good job. Austin's (MacGinnis) really kicking the ball good." Stoops was asked about Ryan Timmons in the return game. "There's a bunch of guys there taking reps right now, but Ryan is looking good."

Special teams coach Craig Naivar talked about his special teams. He said he is working with a lot of guys who he expects to form a special group, no pun intended. "We are going to travel a lot of those guys. He too had some glowing things to say about Ryan Timmons and what his future holds on the return unit. In addition to MacGinnis, Naivar said he liked the punting of Landon Foster.
    Comments 3 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      Special teams is the key to our success this year. I was disappointed when Joker disassembled what we had in place for special teams. I like the fact that they are building a bond with the players on special teams. Hopefully something really good comes from that.
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks Lonny. It is really good to hear about the development of a cohesive unit. As Mick said that unit is critical for UK to take the next step.
      Jimcats -
      Some of the most exciting plays of the game are great kick/punt returns (by our guys) and long punts that set the opponent back deep with no option for a return. Speed is essential to make both of these work for you and I believe our speed is improved as much as any other aspect has with our stronger recruiting of the last couple of years.

Excitement time, folks!
  • KSR Twitter Feed