Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with 2016 Arkansas guard Malik Monk

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Malik Monk says any Division I scholarship offer is special. That’s why he doesn’t want to over emphasize the offer he got from Kentucky and coach John Calipari recently.

“The offer from Kentucky is big because it helps get your name out and more people probably do look at that as a big deal,” said Monk, a junior who is trying to earn a spot on the USA under 17 team that will play in the 2014 FIBA World Championship For Men Aug. 8-16 hosted by Dubai, United Arab Emirates. “But every school recruiting me likes the way I get up and down the court and play above the rim and defend.

“I do like the way coach (John) Calipari just tells you the truth. It might hurt, but that is how you get better. He recruits great players to play with and he gets pros to the league. I am striving to be a one-and-done player (in college), and he’s shown he can do that for you.”

Monk, a five-star shooting guard is ranked as the sixth best player in the class of 2016 by Rivals.com and fourth best by ESPN.com. He has offers from a bevvy of schools, including home-state Arkansas, Kansas, Indiana, Florida, Memphis and Baylor.

“I am really open to any college but Kentucky is definitely special,” he said.

The 6-4 Monk, who is from Bentonville, plays for the same AAU team that former UK guard Archie Goodwin did.

“I really have not been able to hang around him that much, but we know each other,” Monk said during a practice break Friday in Colorado Springs, Colo. “He is a NBA player and is doing pretty good right now.”

Monk says having a chance to play for his country is “huge” for him.

“We can show the world that the USA is not lacking when it comes to sports. It’s a huge opportunity for me just to be here. I have never done anything like this before. But it’s just basketball and I love doing it. Playing ball is what I love to do. This is just at a higher level,” he said.

His brother, Marcus Monk, is a former football and basketball player at the University of Arkansas. He is overseeing his younger brother’s recruitment.

“My brother is a big factor in my recruiting. He’s been through it all and knows how to handle things,” Monk said. “Him going to Arkansas is not a big deal. He wants me to go where is best for me.

“This has been a good summer for me. I’ve got a lot of attention and a lot of media. But being here gives you a chance to show the world and the college coaches how good you are. I am trying to get better every day. That’s my goal.”

Monk has established himself as one of the premier scorers in the 2016 recruiting class. He had 59 points in one summer league game when he hit 10 3-point shots. Analysts like the way he can attack the rim and finish but also score from long range.

“I would say my strengths are my athletic ability and ability to knock down shots,” Monk said. “I think my shooting is kind of underestimated. I consider myself a good 3-point shooter.

“But going against this high level competition is how you judge yourself. I have not taken a break at all this summer. I love playing basketball.”

He says recruiting does not get overwhelming for him because of his brother.

“Recruiting never stops, but if it gets bad for me, my brother puts a stop to everything,” Monk said. “That’s why I don’t really pay attention to it that much. That’s why I also love being around all these great players. We can just be ourselves and play ball.”

Monk is one of three guards in the 2016 class to have an offer from Kentucky along with St. Louis shooting guard Jayson Tatum and Las Vegas point guard Derryck Thornton. Tatum is also in Colorado Springs and is Taylor County standout Quentin Goodin, who has been recruited by UK but does not have a scholarship offer yet.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post