Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Peach Jam Report

Let me start with a standard warning that you might read several reports by several people watching the same games and get totally different reports. These "evaluations" are opinions and opinions only. Different people look for different things based on their experience level and expectations. No one persons opinion is superior to another's so while my evaluation might be different from somebody else's it is by no means meant to devalue any opinion that they have. The reader should take each post for what it says and place their own value on it based on how comfortable you are with the authors previous posts.

Antonio Blakeney- if you saw this kid at the park and were looking for a pick up game, I'm not sure he would be the first kid you would grab. If you didn't and your opponent did, odds are you would be sitting next game! He looks frail but looks can deceive. His shot isn't a classic smooth stoke but the results more than make up. His release point is at the absolute apex of his jump. He can really get up and throw down solid dunk. He isn't a slasher to the basket but has phenomenal range. When he does go to the rim he gets up quick but his game is the perimeter jumper. He can put up points quick, and put up a bunch. Based on who was watching his games, UK is clearly interested

Chiek Diallo-I'm convinced I caught him on a bad game followed by a bad game. I love his energy but he is raw and no way is he a top tier player. Last night he was the third best big man on the floor in the game, behind teammate Thomas Bryant and Michigan State commit Deyonta Davis. No doubt he gets from end to end as well as anybody but offensively he is limited. I was disappointed to say the least

Tyus Battle- I liked him quite a bit. Solid SF, strong build and can mix it up a bit. He lit it up yesterday (6 of 7 and 3 of 4 from long range). I'd like to watch more of him tonight

Stephen Zimmerman - A player I'm not all in on yet. I've seen him play way better than he did today. He isn't raw like Diallo so I don't think his ceilling is were Chiek's is nor does he have the energy but he does have far more range and control of the game. Zimmerman is more rounded and versatile so there are more options.

Harry Giles-it would be amazing to see him on a team that utilized him. He showed all his skills except pass catching because he never had one thrown to him. I'll leave it at that. He is one of those players who always looks in control, where everything is easy and there is no panic or frantic to his game.

Jayson Tatum- Wow is all I can say. This kid can play the 2,3 or 4 and is a legit 6'8". He can shoot with range or use his length on the drive. Has great body control and uses it, especially with his arm extension in the lane. He seems to be the best player I've seen here.

Heading back for the night sessions but like Malik Monk who I've seen several times over the years, and Melvin Frazier. Also impressed with Ben Simmons who I wasn't a fan of. He has stepped up his game more than I expected.
    Comments 63 Comments
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Thanks Doc….Downer on Diallo who is supposed to be UK-bound - Doc, what about his motor? Isn't it Chuck Hayes-like?
      Doc -
      Way more active than chuck. He is like Mitch McGary from Michigan... or the swag kid below on speed
      Krank -
      Always interesting and informative, Docta.

Thanks (and you get special props for your AAA experience... I had one of those in Chicago that lasted WAY longer, so I felt your pain reading about your "adventure")!

BTW, please feel free to devalue any of my opinions at your leisure.
      Doc -
      Diallo, three bad games?

Tyus Battle is the real deal. Is the perfect 3 for Cal in my opinion. I really focused on him tonight more than previously (he plays on the same team as Diallo) and am much more enticed by what I saw. I'd love a class of him, Blakeney, Mathews and Bragg. That assumes Lee, Lyles, Townes, Booker and Ulis return

ETA--Battle is 2016, not 2015 the above class can't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Darryl -
      [QUOTE=Doc;199488]Diallo, three bad games?

Tyus Battle is the real deal. Is the perfect 3 for Cal in my opinion. I really focused on him tonight more than previously (he plays on the same team as Diallo) and am much more enticed by what I saw. I'd love a class of him, Blakeney, Mathews and Bragg. That assumes Lee, Lyles, Townes, Booker and Ulis return

Doc, Tyus Battle is 2016 but many think he is a UK lean.

Darryl
      Padukacat -
      Exactly what I thought when I watched diallo, way too raw, at the time we weren't on him and I thought I knew why. Good athlete and hops w long arms but his instincts weren't very good and he was shorter than expected.
      Doc -
      [QUOTE=Darryl;199489]
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
      Diallo, three bad games?

Doc, Tyus Battle is 2016 but many think he is a UK lean.

Darryl
      Yeah, my mistake. Lack of sleep getting to me. He is a 2016 kid, not 2015.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Exactly what I thought when I watched diallo, way too raw, at the time we weren't on him and I thought I knew why. Good athlete and hops w long arms but his instincts weren't very good and he was shorter than expected.
      Might be a good kid to bring in on a multi-year plan like WCS. It'll be hard for all our bigs to go pro after this season, and we need depth.
      Hoss -
      Diallo is a great fit for our system. Not everyone needs to worry about offense. We'll have plenty wings who can fill it up!
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      Might be a good kid to bring in on a multi-year plan like WCS. It'll be hard for all our bigs to go pro after this season, and we need depth.
      I won't disagree with that but anybody who see him as a game changing post player next year is sadly mistaken. Right now he is an average player at best, at the high school level.

UKRxman93 -
      I won't disagree with that but anybody who see him as a game changing post player next year is sadly mistaken. Right now he is an average player at best, at the high school level.

Quite surprising given his various rankings. Some as high as #3 overall.
      dan_bgblue -
      Doc, what areas do you see as Diallo's upside? Does he have quick feet? Is he a quick leaper? Has good timing and positioning on rebounds? Did you see him shoot a foul shot? Those are just some things I would like to know, but you certainly do not have to answer anything specifically. Just looking for areas that he is good at now that might tell us he "could" be a better player a couple years down the road.

Thanks
      CitizenBBN -
      I imagine he's in that WCS mode, raw but the staff likes something about him they think can grow and be a lot more, and he becomes a multi-year guy. WCS was very raw as well when he got here, 4* ranking, very little basketball experience. But he was big, fast, had great timing just didn't know when to time what.

Lee is another example. VERY raw offensively but a great guy to have here a few years, work on his game and get better. You're pulling a big time athlete off the bench in a pinch like Lee in the tourney this year, and in time he can be a big factor.

If Diallo has that I imagine that's what the staff sees, a guy who can fill that role as WCS leaves and Lee develops into a rotation player.
      Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Doc, what areas do you see as Diallo's upside? Does he have quick feet? Is he a quick leaper? Has good timing and positioning on rebounds? Did you see him shoot a foul shot? Those are just some things I would like to know, but you certainly do not have to answer anything specifically. Just looking for areas that he is good at now that might tell us he "could" be a better player a couple years down the road.

Thanks
      He runs the floor very well, as well as anybody I've seen. His energy is great. Leaping great. Has no range and is shorter than expected. His foul shooting, likely a mid 50's percentage. As he matures these things could/should improve but to have him ranked in the top 10, or even top 50 is hard for me to see

Doc -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      I imagine he's in that WCS mode, raw but the staff likes something about him they think can grow and be a lot more, and he becomes a multi-year guy. WCS was very raw as well when he got here, 4* ranking, very little basketball experience. But he was big, fast, had great timing just didn't know when to time what.

Lee is another example. VERY raw offensively but a great guy to have here a few years, work on his game and get better. You're pulling a big time athlete off the bench in a pinch like Lee in the tourney this year, and in time he can be a big factor.

If Diallo has that I imagine that's what the staff sees, a guy who can fill that role as WCS leaves and Lee develops into a rotation player.
      Yes but WCS wasn't a top 10 recruit. He came in as a project. Plus he was a 7 footer who was athletic and coordinated. Diallo isn't 7 feet. He isn't close

If UK get Chiek, great. Will be fun to watch him develop. I only caution folks who expect him to come in and contribute anything right away, you will be greatly disappointed

Doc -
      Great morning for Blakeney. Folks like compare players and it's effective to do so. If that is your thing then think BRANDON KNIGHT. Actually a great analogy. Knight a bit taller but Blakeney a better leaper and .... wait for it ...... shooter. Yes, I take Antonio's jumper especially with a defender over BK. Knight might have a slightly better handle but not much. Their builds are similar as are their games.

Kacat -
      But there have been other camps where CD has dominated so something isn't adding up.
      CitizenBBN -
      Yes but WCS wasn't a top 10 recruit. He came in as a project. Plus he was a 7 footer who was athletic and coordinated. Diallo isn't 7 feet. He isn't close

If UK get Chiek, great. Will be fun to watch him develop. I only caution folks who expect him to come in and contribute anything right away, you will be greatly disappointed

Oh I agree, based on your assessment I think he has to go in the multi-year project category. He sounds a good bit like Lee to me, even more than WCS.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      But there have been other camps where CD has dominated so something isn't adding up.
      Not to doubt Doc, but multiple other scouts have Diallo as one of the best players out there. I hope we get him.

Darryl
      GhettoBird -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      Not to doubt Doc, but multiple other scouts have Diallo as one of the best players out there. I hope we get him.

Darryl
      TJ from Rivals absolutely raves about Diallo. Seems to have the skill set Cal loves. Bouncy, defends the rim, and runs like a deer.

Thanks for the reports DOC.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post