Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with Carlton Bragg's coach -- and team is coming back to Kentucky

By LARRY VAUGHT

From all that Villa Angela-St. Joseph coach Babe Kwasniak can tell, Carlton Bragg has had a “solid summer” and continued to impress college coaches.

“I worked the Seph Curry Select Camp for the top 20 guards. All the ESPN recruiting guys were there and so was (Scout.com recruiting analyst) Evan Daniels. I know I am biased, but he got really good reviews.”

Kwasniak noted how at the NBPA Top 100 camp, Bragg had “one of the most explosive games” any player had all summer. He scored 36 points on 14-for-16 shooting from the field and grabbed 14 rebounds.

“He does play on a loaded AAU team. His high school team is probably more talented, and that is rare. But that’s the kind of kid he is. It’s good for him because it forces him to carry the load for his team. I know we wanted him to focus on handling the ball better, and he has.”

Bragg, a top 10 prospect in the 2015 recruiting class, expects to narrow his list of schools to five in early September. Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, Ohio State, Louisville and Illinois have all made hard pushes for the power forward. He has indicated that Illinois, Kentucky and Kansas are the only locks to make the final list. He has scheduled a visit to Big Blue Madness in mid-October, but he’s also indicated he will visit Louisville.

Bragg got his UK scholarship offer not long after he played two impressive games in the Mustang Classic in McCracken County, including one against incoming UK freshman Trey Lyles and Arsenal Tech.

“If there ever was a high school game made for ESPN, our game with Arsenal Tech would have been one,” Kwasniak said.

He’ll bring Bragg and his teammates back to Kentucky again this season for the Marshall County Hoop Fest Dec. 5-6 because of the way promoter Dan Hudson and tournament officials treated him and his team.

“I am a man of my word. I said last year if everything was as good as Dan said, I would consider bringing my team back. Then he exceeded our expectations,” Kwasniak, who feels he has three or maybe four Division I prospects, said. “It was an incredible experience. Our kids had a great time. It’s a long bus trip (from Cleveland), but the event was so impressive and we were treated so great. It’s not just that Cal (Kentucky coach John Calipari) was there, but every restaurant we went to was great. The crowds were awesome.”

They likely will be this year, too, if a game with Archbishop Carroll of Philadelphia is finalized as expected. Archbishop features 6-6 Derrick Jones, a top 30 player in the 2015 recruiting class. He has a scholarship offer from Kentucky along with other schools such as Arizona, Syracuse and Kansas along with many others.

Kwasniak is friends with Archbishop coach Paul Romanczuk, who played at Penn when Kwasniak played at Army. Their wives also played college basketball.

“I know Dan is going to make it happen,” Kwasniak said.

Kwasniak knows Kentucky fans would welcome Bragg back, but the coach also is intent on making sure his star player stays focused on more than just basketball.

“We want to make sure his core academics are solid. Get him with tutors, make sure he continues to do all he has been doing,” the coach said.

Kwasniak says “my gut says no” about Bragg making his college choice during the early signing period in November.

“He wants to take visits and has even invited me to go, including Big Blue Madness,” Kwasniak said. “They are going to let this process play out and make an educated decision.

“But I have heard plenty about Big Blue Madness and hope to go. This will be my 15th year reunion at West Point, so I don’t want to miss that and I hope it does not work out to be the same weekend.”
    Comments 5 Comments
      KeithKSR -
      Kentucky fans don't seem to mention Bragg much, but the Cats appear to be in good shape with him.
      Doc -
      Yet another player I'm very high on. Love this kids skill set
      Hoss -
      Me too! I think he has a VERY high ceiling!
      Critter -
      Would love to have this kid.
      Padukacat -
      He's at the top of my wish list of the guys I've seen, much more so than diallo. I'd place him ahead of thon maker if they were in the same class.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post