Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Spurrier on South Carolina-Clemson rivalry

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky and Louisville fans are not the only ones who value a win over the in-state rival more than anything. South Carolina football coach Steve Spurrier says it is the same way with his fan base when it comes to in-state rival Clemson.

“What I've also learned at South Carolina, our fans realize there's more to life than winning the SEC championship. They really do,” Spurrier said. “We're in a state with Clemson. Clemson used to pretty much own South Carolina in football, no question about it. We have a state championship trophy. If you ask our fans at South Carolina, I can assure you a majority would say, ‘We would rather beat Clemson than win the SEC.’ That is how big it is to them, that one game.

“Personally I'd rather win the SEC. I don't mind saying that. Personally that's the bigger trophy. But if we're not quite good enough, if it doesn't work out, we're not going to hang our hat and say, ‘We're not going to win the SEC.’ But there's other things out there.

“I've also learned over the last several years when you win that bowl game, life is a lot more comfortable in the off‑season. Whoever wins that bowl game, you get ranked in the top 10. We were never in the top 10 till the last three years. Done that every year since we started winning the bowl games.

“Hopefully we can add an SEC championship. I can assure you, I tell those recruits, If you come here, hopefully you'll be on the first‑ever SEC championship team ever. That's still our goal. We haven't quite done it. I think we've been close but not close enough.”
    Comments 2 Comments
      millsforthree -
      Like him or not, there isn't a better coach in the SEC. SOS has done it at schools with lesser amounts of tradition and without five star players at every position....most importantly he has continually changed his style in order to win. Give me Saban as a recruiter, but there is no better game planner or X&O guy on Saturday than SOS.
      Jimcats -
      Half a century ago I lived in upstate S.C., Greenville and Spartanburg. In those days Clemson was THE state team and their key opponent was Ga.Tech. Old Frank Howard would get us all riled up and expecting to beat Tech every year, but more often losing in a lopsided score. I believe Tech was still in the SEC in those days. I don't recall USC having anything much in football back then! but coming over into the SEC from the ACC has certainly been good for them.
  • KSR Twitter Feed