Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• What will be the Satifaction Level of the Playoff System?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Executive Director of the BCS playoff system Bill Hancock said they have signed a television contract for ten years. Those ten years will employ four teams playing in semi-final games and the winners advancing to the championship game. The Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, and Peach Bowl will rotate as host for the semifinal games.

For year there was moaning and groaning for a playoff system and now how long will it be until there will be screaming for more teams in the playoff? Hancock said they are locked into the 2014 format until 2025. Reason being they do not was to cheapen the regular season. Nor do they want to erode the bowl system from top to Bottom.

I suspect the call for change will last as long as the contract calls for. It took fifteen years to get a playoff and it will take another fifteen to alter it.
    Comments 8 Comments
      MickintheHam -
      I believe this playoff system is ripe for disaster. I haven't liked it since it was first proposed. 5 conferences and 4 slots. SEC could have 3 of the 4 best teams in the country and only land one in the playoff. Whichever conference this year doesn't land a team in the field is going to howl, particularly if tOSU qualifies with their simple schedule. When you have people involved in the selection, the solution is always a compromise. I was happy with the computer generated and poll selections.
      millsforthree -
      I was happy with the computer generated format as well. Look at basketball and teams like duke always end up seeded higher than deserved. I think they should have kept the bcs rankings and if only using 4 teams in the semis, I would have preferred a "plus one," format where the winners of the top bcs bowls advanced to the finals. Bowls would be more preserved that way, and the regular season games do not lose importance
      MickintheHam -
      Agreed!
      UKHistory -
      For any football fan pushing for a playoff, they forget the angst of the NCAA tournament. And that is with 64 teams. There is a lot more disagreement when you are selecting 4 teams. There would still be disagreement if we went to an Elite 8 playoff allowing 5 conference champs and 3 at large bids of the next best teams.

What seems to be forgotten is that in the present system of a title game and 32 bowls that means there 64 teams that get to play in the post season and 33 of them end the season on a winning note.

A play off takes a lot of that away. In a play off three teams end the year on a down note on only leaves happy. That will put more pressure on coaches and players.
      UKFlounder -
      But all those bowl games still exist and there will still be 30+ teams ending their season with a win. Many of those will be 7 or 8 win teams who knew they had no business in a playoff anyway, but still will be glad to play in a bowl. (And even in the old system the bowl losers would be unhappy, so that is not changing with the playoffs - the team that wins is happy, those that don't are not. Same as now.)

Of course, there will be some teams unhappy not to make the 4 team playoff, but some things are unavoidable. If we have 5 unbeaten teams (or 5 or more all with 1 loss) it will be controversial but some things can't be avoided. Maybe it will expand to 8, but no matter what they do, somebody will complain about something (see SMU complaining about not being n the top 68 last year). You're never going to make everybody happy and should not try to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by UKHistory View Post
      For any football fan pushing for a playoff, they forget the angst of the NCAA tournament. And that is with 64 teams. There is a lot more disagreement when you are selecting 4 teams. There would still be disagreement if we went to an Elite 8 playoff allowing 5 conference champs and 3 at large bids of the next best teams.

What seems to be forgotten is that in the present system of a title game and 32 bowls that means there 64 teams that get to play in the post season and 33 of them end the season on a winning note.

A play off takes a lot of that away. In a play off three teams end the year on a down note on only leaves happy. That will put more pressure on coaches and players.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I think it penalizes the SEC somewhat. The SEC east will rise again and we could easily see undefeated teams from both divisions, clearly among the best four in the country , who is essence knock one of themselves out of the playoff several years in the SEC championship.
      KSRBEvans -
      They say they're locked into this format until the mid 20s, but they were locked into the BCS format until there was a change. If everybody agrees they're going to go to 6 or 8 teams, guess what? They will.

A 4-team playoff is better than the BCS, and an 8-team playoff would be better than 4. The BCS was a horrible idea--worse even than the old bowl system and then a vote for a MNC--and I'm glad it's gone.
      UKHistory -
      Make no mistake the Big 10, ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12 all want this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      I think it penalizes the SEC somewhat. The SEC east will rise again and we could easily see undefeated teams from both divisions, clearly among the best four in the country , who is essence knock one of themselves out of the playoff several years in the SEC championship.
  • KSR Twitter Feed