Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• SEC Basketball Summer Teleconference

I'm on the call; will have some tidbits from time to time (will edit this post, so keep checking back.

All times Central (local)

10:11 a.m. - Kevin Stallings basically said he'd love to have Kentucky as a permanent opponent. "Everybody" would love to have Kentucky.

10:18 a.m. - Billy Donovan still an impressive speaker. Talked about coaching the national team, was asked about a player that didn't make the team, but said he really couldn't talk about individual players.

10:21 a.m. - Frank Martin is "sick and tired" of the myth that the SEC is no good.

Quote of the day, "My pleasure, always great to give you three minutes." (Evidently Martin was a little irritated that there wasn't that much interest for the SC coach.)

[NOTE--John Calipari is scheduled for 10:35, but they've been a little behind. Trying to catch up, as evidenced by the 3 great minutes Frank Martin gave, instead of the scheduled 7]

10:25 a.m. - UGA Mark Fox greatly concerned about the alarming number of transfers in college basketball. Says national coaches association is also.

Fox says age 20 would help quality of college basketball & NBA. Welcomes Silver's possible change in the NBA rule. Doesn't know if he could get it done with the Players' Association, though.

[Johnny Jones, LSU up next, followed by John Calipari]

10:34 a.m. - Johnny Jones - Brian Bridgewater has cleared all NCAA hurdles. They are "hopeful" that he will have 4 seasons to play 4, but it might be 4 seasons to play 3. Background - was not able to practice with the team last year, but could attend, be tutored, etc. He is a 6'5 scorer type, played a lot inside in high school, won state championship in Louisiana, etc. I think issues related to transferring to another high school his senior year, but I'm not completely sure of it. I know LSU folks are very high on the kid.

10:43 a.m. - John Calipari. "For the first time, I've had players return that had opportunities to put their names in the draft."

Jerry Tipton with first question about trip to the Bahamas.

"We're doing a little different than most teams. (Most teams don't care who they play). This is going to be different. We will travel with 12, 10 will play. We have teams come with us."

Basically, says teams will be older, players that almost made the country's national teams. Players are older, and Calipari likes that.

Tipton asks 2nd question about Rupp Arena renovation -- Cal says he wasn't involved, wasn't in town, just hopes everybody does the right thing for the university and the city.

Cal - doesn't mind the knock on him that he;s not developing players, as long as they keep getting drafted and thriving in the NBA.

Cal - we have to be on the side of the players. On the side of the students. That (age 20/rule) is between the players association and the NBA. "I've said to the NBA, don't make it a 4-year contract, make it a 3-year contract so they don't get hurt by staying in school an extra year, and they can get to the big money contracts at the same time."

Cal - our kids sign 4 year deals. If they leave before 4 years, their scholarships are still waiting on them. We have a 3.11 GPA. We've had (great?) APR, 10 kids have graduated. Everybody doing what they are supposed to do.
    Comments 11 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Calipari up now.
      Darrell KSR -
      10:43 a.m. - John Calipari. "For the first time, I've had players return that had opportunities to put their names in the draft."

Jerry Tipton with first question about trip to the Bahamas.

"We're doing a little different than most teams. (Most teams don't care who they play). This is going to be different. We will travel with 12, 10 will play. We have teams come with us."

Basically, says teams will be older, players that almost made the country's national teams. Players are older, and Calipari likes that.

Tipton asks 2nd question about Rupp Arena renovation -- Cal says he wasn't involved, wasn't in town, just hopes everybody does the right thing for the university and the city.

Cal - doesn't mind the knock on him that he;s not developing players, as long as they keep getting drafted and thriving in the NBA.

Cal - we have to be on the side of the players. On the side of the students. That (age 20/rule) is between the players association and the NBA. "I've said to the NBA, don't make it a 4-year contract, make it a 3-year contract so they don't get hurt by staying in school an extra year, and they can get to the big money contracts at the same time."

Cal - our kids sign 4 year deals. If they leave before 4 years, their scholarships are still waiting on them. We have a 3.11 GPA. We've had (great?) APR, 10 kids have graduated. Everybody doing what they are supposed to do.

If they're ok with being the 18th or 20th pick, I'm good with it. I give the kids the information and the downside. I spend 5 minutes with it. They don't get a brainwashing session with me.

I thought Willie was leaving. I congratulated him after the NCAA tournament, and he came into my office and told me he wanted to return.

Willie told me-

1 - I am having a ball.
      2 - I am not ready for that league to do what I want to do
      3 - I want to win a chip.
      Darrell KSR -
      Editor note here -- I don't think it's any coincidence that the two most impressive speakers; most positive guys, are John Calipari and Billy Donovan. They really are.
      UKFlounder -

Terrance Jones and Doron Lamb, end of 2011 season, say "Hi, Cal"
      UKHistory -
      Communication is key to running any organization. The ability to teach, motivate, recruit all rely heavily on effective communication skills. There is more to it. But the ability to relay your message effectively helps put you in position to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      Editor note here -- I don't think it's any coincidence that the two most impressive speakers; most positive guys, are John Calipari and Billy Donovan. They really are.
      Darrell KSR -
      10:55 a.m. - Donnie Tyndall, Tennessee. Experiences at Morehead State help shape him on philosophy. Will do some things the same, and others he has learned from and grown from.

11:06 a.m. - Mike Anderson. Obviously wants Kentucky as permanent opponent, "always want to play the best," but thinks schools won't have much impact on that decision.

Not next year, but SEC is going to go to 3 permanent opponents in basketball, rather than 1, which is why all the questions are being asked about Kentucky being a permanent opponent. Everybody wants Kentucky.
      Darrell KSR -
      11:12 a.m. - Anthony Grant asked if it is important to program and in recruiting to have players drafted in the NBA, "you know, the Nick Saban model."

Bama Magazine asked the question.

Side note - would media sources please invest in headphones with a microphone, about $20, for their reporters who ask questions so we don't hear them slurping, banging at their keyboards, etc. while the coach is responding to your question? Or would the reporters please tap the mute button after asking the question? Is that too much to ask?

11:18 - Bruce Pearl. Having some cell phone issues, hope he hangs in there.

Discussed physical nature; no coincidence the three most physical teams in the league - Kentucky, Florida and Tennessee - were the 3 that went to the NCAA tournament last year.

Age 20 NBA rule "would be the perfect rule." Too many kids go a year early, not prepared, don't get the big money on the 2nd contract. Would make NBA game better.

Exposure is an issue, so Brannon Jennings issue really wouldn't happen. Can't get the exposure in Europe or NBDL. There might be a player or two that would not be able to handle or had no desire to handle academic load that might do that, but wouldn't be the money.
      UKHistory -
      In terms of scheduling we are seeing the limits of conference expansion at this point. For football and certainly it is becoming too many teams. Conference affiliation won't mean anything soon.

Is Donovan getting that question or are coaches mentioning Florida in the same breath? Secondarily? At all? Speaks volumes after the year they had.
      Darrell KSR -
      Most coaches seem to be getting that question about permanent opponents. Haven't heard Florida's name specifically mentioned in connection with their responses; although Mike Anderson answered a question about Kentucky (from non-UK media) with the response that you always wanted to play the best.
      Darrell KSR -
      Have to drop off for awhile; may pick it up later.

Andy Kennedy on the clock now.
      CitizenBBN -
      Appreciate the posts D, very interesting.

10:25 a.m. - UGA Mark Fox greatly concerned about the alarming number of transfers in college basketball. Says national coaches association is also.

Yeah, we can't have these kids voting with their feet, having the ability to play where they are happy and leave where they are not. how will the coaches coach if they have to actually sell and persuade too? lol.

I'd make a whole lot more money if whenever I hired someone they had to sit out from working for a year if they quit me and had no power to negotiate their pay or role in the business. How much do FBS school coaches make again? Coincidence?
  • KSR Twitter Feed