Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• How appealing is the UK football student section (to students)?

By: ASHLEY SCOBY

As a UK student and sports fan, one of my favorite experiences from my freshman year in Lexington was the time I spent in the student sections of UK sporting events. Basketball, football, volleyball – each student section has its own atmosphere completely separate from the rest of the crowd. It’s an experience like no other, and one of the best parts about going to a Division-I (and SEC) school.

Some students, however, don’t revere the experience as much as I, and many of my classmates, do. Larry tipped me off to this comment on a Scout message board a couple weeks ago:

“I heard UK wanted to start some classes in explosives and were going to use the student section during football games for testing b/c that way they'd be sure no one would be in the immediate vicinity. I'm not sure we could get students to UK games with free beer. Not just this year, pretty much every year. Not just football either. Wait till we see how empty it is with the bball home games too. They're always half empty in the upper deck for no-name teams, and football is worse.”

And this person makes a fair point – on a personal level, I was pretty disappointed with the student section at football games last year. Admittedly, the Cats weren’t a bowl-caliber team last year, and frustration was running high. But I’m one of those people that sticks it out no matter the weather, no matter the score, until there are triple 0’s on the game clock. That doesn’t make me a better fan; it just makes me a different one.
    What is the motivation to be in the student section for a UK football game? What’s the motivation to skip out on the stadium experience and just watch on a big screen?

Sometimes it’s the team on the field that affects someone’s decision to go to Commonwealth. Wes Henderson, a UK senior who has traditionally been a regular in the student section of various UK sporting events, said that he hasn’t bought season tickets for UK football this year.

“I love my school, but I’m tired of the product,” he said. “We are back to the same team we were before Rich Brooks got here…Just because I don’t like wasting my day at the stadium doesn’t mean I don’t support them. I have better stuff to be doing. I’ll probably have the game on for the games I don’t attend.”

Henderson makes a fair point: going to an SEC football game is quite the undertaking for your Saturday, especially if you have student tickets. You’ve got the tailgating portion of the day obviously, and you have to get to the student section a good hour or two before kickoff so that you have a good spot in the bleachers (since the student section is now general admission). Then there’s the actual game, which goes on for hours. By the time you blink, your whole Saturday is consumed with football. It’s hard for some students, such as Henderson who is pre-med, to commit an entire day to UK football, especially when they are not as successful as they have been in recent years.

For others, skipping out on being at UK football games doesn’t have anything to do with how good or bad Kentucky is. Kendall Huddleston, a sophomore at UK, says that her disappointment with the student section at football games has more to do with the kinds of fans that are there.

“I just don’t think the people who come to the football games are there to actually watch the game,” she said. “Most of the people there are ‘drunk sorority girls’ and guys trying to hit on them. It’s more about tailgating to most people than the actual game.”

Another fair point, and one that I can especially sympathize with. There’s nothing worse than trying to watch a football game while there is a girl behind you vomiting and being carried out of the stadium because she’s so intoxicated (true story). College kids will be college kids, and that is their own personal choice. But their antics don’t make the student section any more enjoyable for those trying to watch and analyze the game.

Regardless of some of the negatives of cheering from the student section (as there inevitably will be in any section of any stadium in the country), it’s an experience that many wouldn’t trade for anything.

“Just being in a stadium with thousands of people with the same thoughts and purpose is just exciting,” said Kaci Mercer, a sophomore at UK, about going to basketball and football games at UK. “I mainly go for the experience. It's something that could only happen once in a lifetime for some people... but as a student we have the opportunity to do almost every game. Why not take advantage of it?”

This football season will be a true test for UK students: With negativity swirling around the program, and with the predictions of a hard season ahead, will they show up at GA3, collect their free shakers and stay until the final seconds tick off the clock? It’s hard to say.

I know that I would be there for every second of every single game, as I was last year, if it weren’t for my being credentialed at Commonwealth this year. I just hope my classmates will feel the same way, regardless of how successful the season will be. And even if they don’t, it’s clear that the team’s success (or lack thereof) is not the only factor keeping some students out of the student section.

Let’s not start testing explosives there just yet.
    Comments 5 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Article is getting me fired up about football!

Good read, Ashley.
      jazyd -
      Good job young lady and good valid points. And so others here also had valid points.

I don't think students get into games for schools that just aren't that good for the most part unless football is a huge part of the school life. Ole Miss hasn't been really good for years and yet they always have a good student section. Ala, LSU, UGA, UF, winning programs have great student sections. UK does not have tradition in football, a good seaon here or there is really jsut 7 wins, not something to really brag about.

But back to that stone age deal, when I was at UK never missed a football or basketball game and weren't good in either. I think we got beat homecoming by about 60 pts, in football now. But we were there, we had fun, and we stayed. Then on to Murray and we also had a bad football team and I went to every one of those, every basketball game and many baseball games. Ashley, i think part of it is you have to have some type of love for sports, most want to be part of a winning program. If you are not a sports person, or your family wasn't into sports and your school has a weak program in any sport and there isnt much of a tradition, it takes a long time to get students to fill their sections.
      CitizenBBN -
      Jazy no doubt it's changed a lot. My dad drug my mom to UK basketball games an hour before the freshman game for seats on the very last row of Memorial. Students just don't have that attachment to it now.

Even in the 80s there wasn't a broad passion for it on campus, and now there seems to be even less.

I agree with your point about the culture and the key of being winning, but for our students to line up for UL and UNC but then totally no show for the tune up games is just poor to me, even adjusting for the rest. Just to watch this last year's team on the court was worth it.

However it is nation wide and that's that. Still, just own up to it. Don't give me the "they aren't good enough games" excuses.
      LarryVaught1 -
      Told you guys that you were going to love Ashley
      dan_bgblue -
      Very good report on the state of student affairs.

It would help matters if the sports marketing department would help give them an extra reason to be in the stands. They could give away 2 paid reservations to a nice hotel somewhere in FL for spring break to a lucky winner every game. Drawing is 45 mins before game time and person has to be present to win and claim gift certificate within 20 mins of announcement. Have a free 30 or 45 minute concert done by a good local band before the team takes the field for warmups. 25% student discount on concessions and merchandise at games. Each student section seat comes with a free tee shirt, or blue wig, or heck anything they come up with.

Get them in the stands having a good time before the game and they should hang around til at least half time, and if the game is a good one they will be there at the end. It is easy to blame the apathy solely on the students, but dang it the UK promotions department shares in the blame imo.
  • KSR Twitter Feed