Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Q&A with John Conner at CHAMP Camp

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Question: Why do you make time again to attend the C.H.A.M.P. Camp?

Conner: "I am just here to help the younger generation and give back and give them what I have been through and give them some knowledge. Hopefully, I can also inspire a few of them. I like what Champ is doing. It's all about the kids and giving back and I am all for that. It is all about inspiring the younger generation to hopefully work hard and also get an education. I like that."

Question: Is this a break for you now?

Conner: "We just finished minicamp Thursday and I flew back into town and shot down here to help out."

Question: Is your high school coach, Larry Cox, right when he says the lack of job security never bothers you because you always believe you can win a job?

Conner: "That is how it is, especially at my position as a fullback. You have to compete every year. The NFL is a business and they are looking for somebody every year and you have to accept that challenge. That is nothing I am not used to after being a walk-on in college. I have had to actually earn everything I have worked for."

Question: Does that attitude/background give you an edge in training camp over players who maybe have not always faced those same challenges?

Conner: "I would definitely like to think so. I have earned where I am at today and I like to keep that same attitude. Even though I have made the next level, I want to keep that same attitude."

Question: What do you think of the improvements you see facility-wise for Kentucky football?

Conner: "It's exciting. I am glad to see where the program is headed and support for the stadium. That is going to help out recruiting and coaching and everything. I am excited to see where they are headed."

Question: What does back to back top 25 recruiting classes for Mark Stoops say to you about the future of Kentucky football?

Conner: "I am just excited and really pumped up when I see that stuff. I know they have been young in the past but I see a great future ahead of them."

Question: Why do you think it took Kentucky so long to start focusing on Ohio in recruiting like it is now?

Conner: "I was asking the same question. Me being an Ohio guy I am torn. I think Ohio has some of the best football players. I think you can't really go wrong with Ohio football."

Question: Do you ever talk to running back Mikel Horton or lineman Kyle Meadows who came from your high school to Kentucky?

Conner: "Every once in a while. I talk to Mikel more often. He seems settled in and real excited. I think we might have another guy coming (in the future). I talk to those guys and see where they are and give them my blessing. My school has good players. Coach Cox is a good coach. He gets the best out of his players. He turns maybe a two-star player into a five-star guy, or four-star. He does a good job demanding the best of his players. Going through the whole system with him, he has a good influence on his players. He wants them to get their education. He wants the total athlete, the person and the player."

Question: Despite going 2-10 the last two years, do you sense the overall perception of Kentucky football has changed?

Conner: "I definitely see the support has gone up. The fans are really supporting the team and Stoops is bringing in the winning attitude. He comes from a winning program and he's bringing in that winning attitude you need. Hopefully that can translate over to the guys."

Question: Who inspired you when you were young like the kids at the C.H.A.M.P. Camp?

Conner: "There were a lot of people. Anybody that was in the NFL I would look up to. I don't care who you were or what position you played. If a NFL player showed up at a camp like this, I would be happy to listen."

Question: Has your success surprised you or did you always believe you could do what you have?

Conner: "I would like to say I believed what happened would happen. I knew it was something I would have to work for, but every once in a while I still have to pinch myself and say, 'Wow. I actually made it.' There were times I didn't think I would do it. Going through injuries and non-scholarship situations and things like that. Just looking back on that makes it even better."

Question: Do you like it when NFL people describe you as tough, dependable, never complains?

Conner: "That is the kind of player I like to be. I don't like to talk about it too much, boast about it. I just like to work hard and go out and get it done."

Question: Are you glad social media was not quite like this when you were at Kentucky?

Conner: "It can be good and bad. When people are talking good about you, it's good. But you have the people that are talking bad a lot. You just have to accept everybody has an opinion. It's more for the fans to keep up with what is going on, so it is not all bad even now."
    Comments 3 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Refresh my memory, who is the hs teammate of Mikel Horton, who may come to UK?
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks very much for that piece Larry V. Lots of fun for me, a dyed in the wool John Conner fan, to read those quotes. Top five blocking fullback of all time anywhere, and if you need 2 or 3 yards just hand him the ball and get out of his way.
      UKFlounder -
      George Asafo-Adjei

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Refresh my memory, who is the hs teammate of Mikel Horton, who may come to UK?
  • KSR Twitter Feed