Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Big Blue Football 2014 Review

By: LONNY DEMAREE

The 2-10 2013 season is wrapped in a neat explanatory package; not enough offensive plays, big plays given up by the defense, time of possession, opponents third down conversion rate, and turnover margin.

We need not go any further back than the Tennessee game which was the last game of the 2013 season and won by the Vols 27-14. The Wildcats accumulated 23 first-downs to UT’s 22. They had 71 plays to 63 by Tennessee. Only 24-yards difference in the total yardage than the Vols. So what was the reason for the Cats to lose the game by a 13-pooint margin?

Offensive big plays by the Volunteers. They score touchdowns on three big plays of forty yards or more. Their defense registered five sacks on Kentucky’s Maxwell Smith, one of them coming on the UK five-yard line and an easy touchdown. Senior defensive end Corey Miller had a season high 4.5 sacks including the previous one alluded to. A 43-yard touchdown pass was scored by UT’s Jason Croom after a double-bobble of an interception attempt by true freshman Jaleel Hytche. The Wildcats gave up six big scoring plays during last season of 35-yards or more.

Most of the big-play makers on the UK side were first year players and first year junior college players. What can the Cats look forward to in the 2014 season? Not to create any false hope but the bread needed to stay in the oven a little longer. And perhaps Patrick Towles will grow into the quarterback he was expected to be when he arrived at UK. Big-play makers need someone to get the ball to them and the Cats are expected to have some of those this season then perhaps they can pull the bread out of the oven.

As in the aforementioned the categories needed to win in the tough SEC the Cats need to make a big leap in the coming season. Offensively the Cats weren’t too bad when they had possession of the football. The thing that was sorely missing was big plays and anemic production in the return game on special teams. The Wildcats had the ball only and average of 56-plays a game to the opponent’s 68-plays a game. Offensive coordinator Neal Brown said having seventy offensive plays a game he considers a success.

Though the offensive line helped the Cats to 4.8-yards rushing per game the time of possession was thirteenth in the league. On several occasions offensive coordinator Neal Brown lamented the weakness up the middle in the offensive line. Having negative plays plagued the Cats last season. This year with red shirt freshman Ramsey Meyers stepping in for Kevin Mitchell at right guard and the most improved player on offense center red shirt sophomore Jon Toth who started eleven games last season should bolster that line. Offensive coach John Schlarman is very high on Meyers. It goes without saying that the five sacks given up against Tennessee has haunted Schlarman a many a night. In the spring the o-line showed promise and with more depth than usual.

The defensive line is expected to be much improved with depth. It will feature all-star Alvin “Bud” Dupree with a second year junior college transfer Za’Darius Smith anchoring the other side. That group has a long way to come but could improve off their 44-percent opponent’s third down conversion rate which was 14th in the SEC.

Losing Avery Williamson from the linebacking corps is a big loss and the defensive coordinator and linebacker coach D. J. Eliot this spring was searching around for a replacement. But expressed some hope in some prospects base on spring practice. Josh Forrest continued to build on his 2013 late season play. He is big and has some athleticism. Travaughn Pascal started eight games last season and had some good moments – an injury prevented him playing against Georgia or Tennessee plus practice in the spring. Head Coach Mark Stoops is far more tight-lipped about the team’s injuries that the two previous head coaches so we don’t know the nature of Pascal’s injury but he is expected back for his senior year. Last season Eliot said Pascal 6-foot-3, 250-pounds is the fastest linebacker on the team. Other players expected to bolster the linebacking corps are junior Khalid Henderson, senior Miles Simpson, and true junior Daron Blaylock. Blaylock had a very good spring game for this having been his first time playing linebacker. He is a player with a lot of ability but the coaches have been trying him at different positions on the defense to get him on the field. These guys make up the corps group that have to improve a turnover margin that was 13th in the league last season. Expect an incoming freshman and or a first year player to contribute significantly.

The defensive minded Mark Stoops is not going to stand still for the type of stats the defense put up last season, ala the toughest, most physical spring practice the veterans have ever experienced.
    Comments 9 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks Lonny. I firmly believe this squad still has a long way to go to be competitive in conference play. I do not think the bread is ready to come out of the oven yet. I am hoping next year they will be able to see over the top of the rim of the hole they are trying to climb out of. I still see too many holes that need a quality peg to fill them.
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Thanks Lonny. I firmly believe this squad still has a long way to go to be competitive in conference play. I do not think the bread is ready to come out of the oven yet. I am hoping next year they will be able to see over the top of the rim of the hole they are trying to climb out of. I still see too many holes that need a quality peg to fill them.
      Well, I hope Lonny is right and you are wrong. Probably not really a right/wrong situation because you both have valid points. One day I'm with Lonny, next day I'm with Dan. But I am positive more days than not. We were largely our own undoing in several games last year. Just eliminating most of that shooting ourselves in the foot could gain us 2 or 3 games. Our running game will once again be strong but we'll have a much improved passing game to assist in scoring a few more points, couple of TDs/game perhaps. Too, it seems that our DBs should be improved over last year's, may even get an intercept or two.

True, we can't gain on the top echelon of the SEC when they are all recruiting top ten classes, but we can beat a couple of SEC teams w/o it being major upsets. It will take 6 wins to get folks attention and our staff knows this. They won't say it out loud, but IMO that is their goal for the 2014 team. I fear we win only 4, hope we win 5, pray for 6, and dream of 7.
      Terry Blue -
      If we keep getting top 25 recruiting classes, we'll have good enough talent to beat the elite of a given day, especially when we get the Air Raid offense going full bore. Remember too, that rankings are far from perfect, and there's often a thin line between the very elite players and the very good player
      catmanjack -
      4 wins max, those hoping for 6 will be disappointed and not
      see that UK football is heading in the right direction
      under Stoops.
      Kacat -
      I think we just have to wait and see. We have to have a QB that can run the offense which we haven't had. But keep in mind KY has TWO former 4 star top 11 QBs on its roster. That is a good place to start. We will have 3 4 star running backs joining Kemp and Clemons. We can put 3 four star WRs on the field along with a number of other highly recruited WRs. We have much more depth on the OL and return 4 starters. We have two legit NFL caliber DEs who are backed up by two 4 star DEs. We add a 5 star DT and a 4 star JUCO DT with a lot of good looking prospects along the DL. The most depth we have had there in years. We have questions at LB but also more highly recruited athletes then we have had there in some time. In the defensive backfield we add more 4 star talent. So while we are very young we have a lot more talent then we have had in the past. Can they execute and find ways to win games? Only time will tell but don't count me in the group that isn't expecting this team to make significant strides forward. Cap the wins if you want but to me it's worthless to try and limit expectations at this time of year.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      If we keep getting top 25 recruiting classes, we'll have good enough talent to beat the elite of a given day, especially when we get the Air Raid offense going full bore. Remember too, that rankings are far from perfect, and there's often a thin line between the very elite players and the very good player
      Definitely!
      millsforthree -
      We have enough talent to run the ball if our OL plays better than last year. If a QB separates himself and we can make some plays at wide out we will score some points. On defense we have to be able to win first down and manage second down to get teams into third and passing---that's when we bring in our QB stoppers at DE and let them play in the backfield. Our LBs and secondary look sketchy, especially at MLB. We should be okay on the edges against the run, but I am scared to death teams are going to ram it up the middle on us. We have to be better at breaking up passes, and making plays in the secondary---if our secondary only have 3 INTs again this season, it is going to be a long season. We are a year away from having some 'experienced' depth to compete with the rest of the conference every night. Hopefully we can steal a game on the road at UT and UL. I can see anywhere from 3-6 wins on the schedule, and if its on the low end (ie. 2 or 3) we are going to have some restless natives.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by millsforthree View Post
      Hopefully we can steal a game on the road at UT and UL. I can see anywhere from 3-6 wins on the schedule, and if its on the low end (ie. 2 or 3) we are going to have some restless natives.
      I'd love to steal 1-2 and end up with 5-6 wins, and I agree if we're on the low end there may be some rumbling, but I will be fine. My only concern last year and this year with our record is it's impact on our recruiting. If they can bring the kids in through a 2-3 win season this year I don't care too much about the record.

These first two years are gravy if we win something, it's year three when the classes start to pay off, IF we can just get one more big class on campus through this season. Win enough to do that and I'm very happy. Ecstatic in fact.
      kingcat -
      If we are in our SEC games and competitive until the horn sounds we can win. If we are not talented enough to play within two touchdowns of anyone on the schedule, six wins are a long time off.
      The SEC is super tough, but I haven't felt like we were terribly outclassed since year before last.

Can Mark Stoops drag the potential out of some of these young men? That is the question imo. We need some players to explode...and a handful is all it takes to get a few extra victories.
      Then hopefully big mo takes over and we challenge for a division title.
  • KSR Twitter Feed