Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Past SEC Football Media Days Re-Visited

By: LONNY DEMAREE

The SEC Media Days are always kind of a primer for the upcoming football season. Because at at the conclusion the opening of football practice is right around the corner. The meetings are less less than a month away from occurring in Hoover, Alabama at the, what was the Wynfrey Hotel when I first started attending, and now the Hyatt Regency-Wynfrey Hotel. The meeting always present a media circus and several interesting happenings in and around the site. We want to mention a few from down through the years.

• Commissioner Mike Slive the God Father of Commissioners always opens the meetings with a state of the SEC type of dissertation. Though small in stature but his aura is superiority is huge. It was interesting that when Lane Kiffin was the head coach at Tennessee that the commissioner seemed to minimize secondary violations.

• After a couple years it became clear that staying in the hotel of the events was out of my budget rage. The hotel I settled in is a stones from the Wynfrey.

• Ironically my hotel is right next door to some in the best barbeque (Jim and Nicks) in the south.

• Steve Spurrier is always good for some entertaining quips and he started calling for players to get some form of pay as far back as three-years ago.

• In 2010 Vanderbilt Head coach Robbie Caldwell was an absolute hoot. He had the main media workroom howling in laughter talking about his turkey farm among other things. He proved far from a formidable head coach but with a sponsor and comedy writer he could’ve beat the Cable Guy to the punch as a standup comedian.

• Speaking of the main media room 2012 taught me to always pack a long-sleeve shirt. That year you could’ve hung meat in the room. In the adjoining mall I was driven to Belk clothing store to purchase a long-sleeve shirt.

• It’s not hard to envision why James Franklin is where he is now because in 2011 at the meetings it was very clear of all the SEC coaches during the meetings he was the most impressive coach there. His charisma was infectious and it turned out he knew a little something about coaching and motivating.

• Last July at the meetings Nick Saban as well as Arkansas Head coach Bret Bielema were leading a campaign to minimize the effectiveness of the tempo offense. They wanted a ten-second delay after the ball was put down and the offense snapping the ball to allow defensive substitutions. Ironically the two 2013 losses that Saban suffered came at the hands of the tempo offense ran by the Auburn Tigers and the Oklahoma Sooners… haha.

• Being up close and personal the gruffy Nick Saban is college’s version of Bill Belichick.

• Butch Jones came across as impressive last year and is recruiting at a very high level at Tennessee. Could it be that UK has missed their window to get the upper hand on The Vols. Vandy defeated them the last two seasons.

And lastly why is it possible to get a strawberry sundae at McDonald’s in Alabama
    and not in Lexington, Kentucky. The strawberry sundae was eliminated in Lexington three years ago and now you can only get caramel and chocolate sundaes and I don’t like chocolate. Yeah, I know that‘s weird.
    Comments 2 Comments
      LarryVaught1 -
      Great memories my man
      MickintheHam -
      Mayor you are right on with the comments about Jim and Nick's. You need to remember that Tuesday is fish taco night. You can have fish one night and BBQ the next. I avoided the Fish tacos for a long time, but after trying them once, I am a fan.
  • KSR Twitter Feed