Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Pat Washington Talks About his Wide Receivers

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Head coach Joker Phillips was asked yesterday what he thought his team would be better at than last year. He said – “I think we’ll be better at throwing the ball. Again throwing and catching, we’ve done a good job here on the practice field but we’ve got to take it to the game field. It’s been a huge emphasis of ours to be better in that part of the game. Not just throw and catch, we’ve got to make some big plays after the catch, too.” Phillips said he feels he has some guys that can do that but, again, they need to do that on game day.

Sometime players get victimized by the urgency of the moment and they happen to not be in the now, there’s a confidence lag that causes them to be shuffled to the bottom of the deck. Phillips brought in new wide receiver coach Pat Washington and often times when there’s a new sheriff in town the deck is turned over. In such a move some players sometimes gain new life.

Washington was asked about Aaron Boyd? “Aaron’s just been consistent,” Washington said. “He has a role for this team and as long as he understands his limitations and his abilities in which he does, he’s going to do things to help us this year” He was asked what that role is and he said as they put the pieces together he’ll have a better answer later on, whose going to be in front, behind, and whose in the same page he’s on. The coach was asked what were Boyd’s strengths and weaknesses. “Well he not very fast but he is a big kid and he is a physical kid and he’s smart. He is a versatile player; he’s kind of a utility-guy who can do a lot of things for us. He does a little bit of everything and he catches the ball. Every practice we have he consistently catches the ball. So I’m pleased with where he is and his progress right now.”

One player E. J Fields, that’s embarking upon his senior year, basically shuffled himself to the bottom of the deck because of a confidence issue. Remember his one shining moment in his UK career was his performance in the U of L game last year. It appeared that he was going to be a productive complement to La’Rod King but took a backward slide. Based on what Washington has seen in practice, Fields could again be inspired by seeing the red and black. Washington introduced the youngster to something referred to as distraction-goggle’s, which was supposed to help him in his focus. Washington said Fields is running #1 in the depth chart and can be a big help at the receiver position. “He’s going to have to be out. He is the fastest receiver on the team. He runs a 4.3 forty. Just this summer a few times when he came by my office and we chatted I noticed his concentration level was improving.”

Washington was asked about a freshman Demarcus Sweat? “He’s fearless,” the coach said. “He’s going to catch the ball over the middle. It doesn’t matter who’s around him. He’s very competitive. He wants to win and usually guys like that turn out to be pretty good football players.

The coach said that A. J. Legree is the same kind of thing. Washington said – “He a kid with very strong hands so he can really make catches contested with people all around him because his hands are so strong. He’s very eager to learn – he’s going to work extremely hard off the field to learn the system.” Washington said he runs very good routes and probably comes out of cuts as well as anybody on the field. He said the only thing for him is that he has to take it from one-on-ones to seven-on-seven to the 11-on-11. When they get in full go, he sometimes drifts in and out of routes because he’s thinking and soon as he learns everything he’s going to be alright.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post