Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Dennis Johnson on Landon Young, Russ Yeast

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Former Wildcat defensive end Dennis Johnson is the offensive line coach at Lafayette High School in Lexington and says he could have the “best offensive line in the state” this season that will feature junior Landon Young, a Kentucky commit.

“I tell kids that people who are truly driven are the ones who become successful,” Johnson said. “Now I am focused on becoming a better coach and eventually a head coach and winning titles. For a few days it was time to reflect back on maybe you did have a decent career and do things a lot of people didn’t do, but at the same time I am so driven that I want more. It was that way in college and then in the pros every day was a grind to keep your foot in the door. That’s why I tell kids you have to always be working.”

That includes Young, who verbally committed to UK last summer. He's a 6-6, 320-pound offensive lineman.

“Landon is looking good. We are finally getting him in the weight room more with the other commitments he also has,” Johnson said. “I told him I played three sports and lifted weights at 6 a.m. But he is a freakish athlete and works hard. I just want to get him to that extra tough level not for high school, but for the next level when he will really need that mean streak.

"We are going to have a line that will average about 300 pounds (per player) and three or four guys that could go Division I. We should have the top line in the state if the coach does his job. But I am going to push them, and especially Landon just like my dad did me every day. He still has two years to improve, but I tell him until you sign that scholarship, any school could withdraw the offer if you don't keep working and getting better. They want to see improvement and he is motivated daily by that.

Johnson likes what UK coach Mark Stoops is doing with the program despite last year's 2-10 record.

"I am a hard-core, old school guy and that's how Stoops is," Johnson said. "But if you don't have the players, you can't compete. The more players he can keep getting in, the quicker the turnaround will come. I think they are another year away from being really good. If they win five games this year that would be doing good, but I think we might see a vast improvement the next year."

Kentucky offensive line coach John Schlarman and Johnson have kids that play basketball against each other and Johnson tries to talk to Schlarman and UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown, a former high school star at Boyle County, all he can.

"From what I hear and see, they are getting better. They have got some talent. They just have to nurture it and get more," Johnson said.

That might eventually mean adding Russ Yeast, the son of former Harrodsburg and UK star Craig Yeast. He's a receiver in the 2017 recruiting class.

"That is family," Johnson said. "Russ played for me as seventh-grader at Jesse Clark (Middle School in Lexington). Landon was an eighth-grader that same year. I knew the potential Russ had then. He has his dad's skills and he's already bigger than Craig. His dad has honed his skills and I think it was a good move for UK to offer him early. We are not a national power yet, so you have to get on young kids before others do."
    Comments 12 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks Larry V. It sounds like Young will have solid coaching and incentive to prepare at a high level. Good news for the Cats in future years
      Jimcats -
      We are getting better players. BUT we are still way down toward the bottom of the SEC team's classes. Assuming that about all the league coaches are good, given the talented players, how does UK do better than about 5 wins even a couple of years from now. If we win 3 out of conference games, we still have to break even in conference games to do much better than the 5 wins Johnson mentions as a possibility this coming season.

I'm not meaning to say that we can't make it into the upper echelon along with teams like Bama, Ga., Fla., LSU, but they have well proven staffs and are recruiting at a substantially higher level than our UK staff is. How do we gain on them?

I'm a big time fan of the wide open game, the hurry-up offense. I enjoyed the game that Mumme brought in. But that isn't news any more. It is fun to watch and it would help us win games against teams where other factors are about even, BUT there won't be many of those in the foreseeable future.

I am right up there with the strongest hopers, but any long-time UK football fan knows, hope doesn't help a whole lot.

I'd love to see some feedback that'd help me hope better. :-)
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      We are getting better players. BUT we are still way down toward the bottom of the SEC team's classes. Assuming that about all the league coaches are good, given the talented players, how does UK do better than about 5 wins even a couple of years from now. If we win 3 out of conference games, we still have to break even in conference games to do much better than the 5 wins Johnson mentions as a possibility this coming season.

I'm not meaning to say that we can't make it into the upper echelon along with teams like Bama, Ga., Fla., LSU, but they have well proven staffs and are recruiting at a substantially higher level than our UK staff is. How do we gain on them?

I'm a big time fan of the wide open game, the hurry-up offense. I enjoyed the game that Mumme brought in. But that isn't news any more. It is fun to watch and it would help us win games against teams where other factors are about even, BUT there won't be many of those in the foreseeable future.

I am right up there with the strongest hopers, but any long-time UK football fan knows, hope doesn't help a whole lot.

Giving an honest answer, a good season is when we beat a couple of teams we didn't expect to beat in the SEC and have 6,7 or even 8 wins. That is the highest expectations I have and is a reality check.
      Terry Blue -
      I don't agree at all. The star systems aren't perfect and our recruiting even on those the last 3 years is close enough to the top teams that we should be competitive if we keep recruiting at the rate we are now. Hopefully when we can fully implement Neal's offensive system that will give us even more of a chance to upset the power programs, helping offset any slight deficiency in talent. Stoops and Elliott have coached defenses and been successful on the highest level also.
      jazyd -
      You don't agree with what? Johnson? I fyou don't agree with him, well I won't say it.

Great interview larry, would love to see Dennis on staff at UK, love his attitude and what he is teaching his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I don't agree at all. The star systems aren't perfect and our recruiting even on those the last 3 years is close enough to the top teams that we should be competitive if we keep recruiting at the rate we are now. Hopefully when we can fully implement Neal's offensive system that will give us even more of a chance to upset the power programs, helping offset any slight deficiency in talent. Stoops and Elliott have coached defenses and been successful on the highest level also.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      If we win 3 out of conference games, we still have to break even in conference games to do much better than the 5 wins Johnson mentions as a possibility this coming season

Well, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with your math. But to get to the 5 wins he describes, you need--

3 out of conference wins.
      +
      2-6 conference record.

To do better than the 5 wins, and get to a bowl game, you still don't need anything more than a losing conference record.

3 out of conference wins
      +
      3-5 conference record.

Is 6 wins and bowl game much better than the 5 he mentions (and frankly, I think people should receive as a success this year, anyway?)

I'm not sure what you expect in year 2 after consecutive 2-10 seasons, but I think a 5-7 mark would be a great showing and substantial improvement headed to much better things in the future. That's what most of we "strongest hopers" hope for.
      Darrell KSR -
      Oh--and if you mean in year 3, year 4, year 5, etc.--well, I think you have to take a much closer look at the recruiting.

Last year Kentucky ranked 9th in the SEC in recruiting, ahead of South Carolina, ahead of Missouri, ahead of Arkansas, ahead of Mississippi State, and ahead of Vanderbilt. Moreover, Kentucky had more 3* and 4* players than 6 teams ranked **ahead** of them in the SEC rankings.

While I disagree with Terry about the import of star rankings--they are very important, and more important than he concedes, with the exceptions he sometimes uses helping define the rule, rather than be the rule--I also vehemently disagree with those who misuse, and misunderstand the star rankings.

The ordinal ranking within the conference in one of the most useless statistics imaginable. I'll take 13th every year, if I'm ranked in the top 25 every year. And for darn sure I'll take 9th, ranked # 21 in the country.

That makes the team competitive with just about anybody. While no, it may not make you beat teams in the top 5--and the SEC will have that, every year--it will give you a shot at those teams, and will allow other factors to come into play when you play the non-top 5 teams.

Factors such as--

* You're only going to play about 44-ish kids in the game. Half of the star rankings will be on the sidelines. Those half don't matter. The half that do matter are on the field. If you have 3*, 4* and up players that match up with the other team, it doesn't matter about the kids not playing.

* You'll have things like skill players sometimes being more important than non-skill players. Give me a 5* running back and a couple of 4* OL, and you can have five 4* WRs/TEs, and I'll take my chances against you, even though your "rankings" will be ahead of mine. Rankings are a tool, not the end result. If I've said that once, I've said it a hundred times.

* You have things like home field/away games that come into play. How much of a factor does it play? Some. Not all. Every computer service on the planet gives some points to the home team. There's a reason for that.

* You have things like injuries, like suspensions, like attrition, like development of these players. While it is very important, and I defend the ranking system, to bring those players into the program--it is also important to keep them healthy, eligibile, non-transferred, and develop them as well.

* You have things like coaching schemes and motivation and plays and belief systems that impact a team. Vanderbilt did a really good job with that under their coach. Other teams have done a poor job with that (Florida, for one) that impact where you are.

There are many more factors there, too.

It starts with bringing the players in. It does not end there, however. That's just the beginning. And that works both ways--while most of us are excited about the future of UK football because of the recruits brought in, that alone won't get it done. We'll have to see the Stoops magic in motivation, schemes, and coaching and developing the players to get where we want to be.

Most of us give the Stoops name a lot of credit in coaching circles, and frankly, when he was hired, I thought that was his strength, rather than recruiting. I still believe that. That is what makes me most optimistic about coaching. I think you can give our coach the same players as Coach "Y," and he'll beat Coach "Y." The recruiting is a bonus.
      Terry Blue -
      I don't agree with some of you pessimists that say we can never win the SEC and should settle for 6-7 wins on a regular basis. The only limits we have are in are own little minds. Just like many said we could never get top players out of Ohio. Right now, 6-7 wins sounds great but I have said by 2018 we'll be in the SEC title game. We're recruiting at a top 25 type rate now, how do you think that will be when we start winning 6-7 games. I will tell you, it will only get better
      jazyd -
      I don't think anyone is settling for 6-7 wins but to say we will win the title in 4 years is uh, well, do you actually think everyone else is going to recruit less quality players so we can 'catch' up? its a pipe dream to think we are suddenly going to pass UF, UT, USC, UGA, Missouri, Ala, LSU, Ark, TAM in the next 4 years and they all will recruit less quality players. While Stoops appears to be a good coach, the rest have good staffs also. Its like saying, well AU has hired a good basketball coach so he is going to pass UK and win the title, and all the other teams are recruiting better so they are going to beat UK out.

How about Terry we see how we do this year before you claim UK will win the SEC and play in the NC game in 2018. Even Dennis says we may only win 5 games this year, think he is a stooge also?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      I don't agree with some of you pessimists that say we can never win the SEC and should settle for 6-7 wins on a regular basis. The only limits we have are in are own little minds. Just like many said we could never get top players out of Ohio. Right now, 6-7 wins sounds great but I have said by 2018 we'll be in the SEC title game. We're recruiting at a top 25 type rate now, how do you think that will be when we start winning 6-7 games. I will tell you, it will only get better
      Terry Blue -
      I say we only win 4-6 this year myself, this is 2014, we've got 4 years until 2018. Vandy can somehow win 9 games and we've got to settle for 6-8. That's what I call pessimism. We've got lots more avenues for potential and upside than Vandy does. I can't guarantee a title game appearance but I am predicting it. You've got to visualize it, before it can happen, and many UK fans cannot visualize it. I bet our coaches and players do.
      Kacat -
      I think landing top 20 level classes puts you in position to beat anyone. Even in the SEC. There is a difference between competing with and without SEC level talent along with some potential pros. KY has landed legit SEC talent the last two years and will again this year. Add in an innovative top level S&C program and yea you have players god enough to get the job done but it does take some time to let them develop. The coaches have to prove themselves at KY but Stoops and Brown have certainly proved themselves capable of putting high end offenses and defenses on the field so I think you have to at least give them the benifit of the doubt.
      Kacat -
      I don't see the point in making predictions in June. So many unknown factors for everyone it's kinda just throwing paint against the wall. Heck I say we win a NC and go 14-0 just to break up the trend. Certainly my prediction is about as well thought out as any of the others we are gonna see right now. I mean we don't even have a starting QB yet so how can we make serious predictions until we see what we have on the field? Sept can't get here soon enough.
  • KSR Twitter Feed