Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Patrick Towles’ Work Ethic goes the Extra Mile all the way to the Left Coast

It’s well documented Towles’ plight since he became a Wildcat. He hasn’t always had the work ethic for SEC success. Suddenly (Drew Barker’s arrival) he did a 180-degrees. How much maturity have you gained since you’ve been here? ”A ton,” Towles quickly responded. It’s one thing being 6-foot-five, 230-pounds at Ft. Thomas Highlands High School and being able to have your way against their typical competition and ‘wallah’ the highest competition in college football. Mechanics become vitally important to achieve success. High school coaches generally don’t mess with success.

So Towles has made it a point to dedicate his time and natural talents to hone at a razors edge for his Wildcats and personal success. It’s nice when he and his family made the commitment monetarily to hone those talents. He spent a week in California with quarterback’s guru George Whitfield Jr. who has a great reputation of working with some of the best quarterback talent in the country i.e.…Ben Roethlisberger, Andrew Luck, Cameron Newton, and the latest prospect Johnny Football to get him ready for the pro draft. The list is much longer.

Whitfield Jr. calls his clinic “Black Ops” training. This highlights chaos and conflict situations on the field. “Statically all called passing plays result in the quarterback scrambling or some type of pocket improvising,” GWJ said. He doesn’t want to undo anything that Neal Brown did in spring practice. “They (GWJ) worked with him on techniques to increase his burst out of the pocket and squaring his shoulders to throw,” pointed out Terry Towles father of Patrick. “They also worked on a ton of scrambling drills and keeping his head downfield.”

They worked on the mental approach to the game. QWJ said – “It’s being competitive. Being line first for everything and it doesn’t make any difference what it is.” Terry Towles said much of what Neal brown was doing in the spring they did in California.

Whitfield Jr.’s methods are quirky and unorthodox. He had drills that required Patrick Towles to be blindfolded. He took him to the Pacific Ocean one day and in the sand to create resistance and develop more quickness in the feet.

“Patrick showed a lot of tools and he’s committed to refine them,” George Whitfield Jr. pointed out.
    Comments 5 Comments
      BigBlue92 -
      Thanks, Lonny. I am not sure I agree that he did not have a work ethic, or that Barker's arrival was the catalyst for changing it - but I am not at practice. It certainly seems he is dedicated and working hard now, whenever and for whatever reason that is. I am excited to see his progress on the field!
      suncat05 -
      I have to believe that it's a combination of natural maturation and the arrival of Barker that has brought these changes about. And both are good things. Maturity and a sense of purpose is good, as well as good competition for the QB position.
      It doesn't matter "who" the QB is, as long as he is able to lead the team and help produce wins. We're going to be fine, it's just is going to take some time for us to get there. But the journey is going to be fun, finally, I believe, for a change.

At least that is my hope.
      Jimcats -
      Any member of the BBN has to be thrilled to see Patrick growing up and (possibly) into the QB job. And to feel that either he or Barker can get the job done. I'm proud of both!
      Terry Blue -
      Heard yesterday that all 4 QBs looked good throwing yesterday including Max Smith!
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Heard yesterday that all 4 QBs looked good throwing yesterday including Max Smith!
      Just hope we have improvement from a couple of them, one primarily, and I'll be happy.
  • KSR Twitter Feed