Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Timmons show how Stoops is making Wildcats tougher, more physical

By: LARRY VAUGHT

If you want proof of how coach Mark Stoops is changing the mentality for Kentucky football players, check the difference in freshman receiver Ryan Timmons.

He was one of Stoop's marquee recruits in his first signing class. Kentucky was not really in the race for the versatile Franklin County speedster until Stoops took over and then he jumped at a chance to play in Neal Brown's offene

Now Timmons is trying to become a much more physical player.

"We are just being physical and trying to be better on the perimeter and be tougher," Timmons said recently. "I think guys are being more physical that weren’t last year. We have to help out more.

"I have got stronger. Blocking was one of the biggest things that I focused on this year. I think me learning to block better will open the offense more and make it better for me. I think I have gotten way better at that."

He said "blocking was not the first thing" he did at Franklin County.

"That was not the first thing I was thinking about when I was not getting the ball, but I am here now and in the biggest and best league in the country, so I have to do that. I have got to be able to block and be tougher," Timmons said.

He needed offseason shoulder surgery — "my surgery went well, the shoulder is doing fine" but then "tweaked" his other shoulder during spring practice. But it was not a typical tweak. Instead, it came in a practice skirmish.

"I think it was me trying to be more physical out on the perimeter with our defensive backs, but it wasn’t nothing personal. It was just football. Two guys going hard and frustration set it. But we are fine now. It was just practice," Timmons said. "Last year we didn’t see a lot of the scuffles. Not just fights, but guys being physical after the whistle.

"That is something coach Stoops was emphasizing about being more physical on the perimeter with the wide receivers, so that is one thing we are trying to focus on more.”
    Comments 13 Comments
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      This is why we're seeing UK in on so many 6"3" two hundred pound receivers.
      CitizenBBN -
      That description reminds me of the scene in North Dallas Forty when two guys go at it in practice and the coaches smile at each other.
      Terry Blue -
      With the stable of running backs we have, it is very important that our receivers do a good job blocking so our runners can "take it to the house"
      suncat05 -
      WR's blocking downfield has been a big problem for Kentucky, and especially after Derek Abney graduated. I can't remember the name of the d-back from LSU, but I vividly remember the block that Abney laid on him when Kentucky beat #1 ranked LSU in Lexington. Abney hit him so hard that he lifted the guy off the ground AND split his chin open too! Great block, one of the better blocks I've ever seen any Kentucky WR ever make.
      Terry Blue -
      That wasn't Derek Abney it was Dicky Lyons Jr
      suncat05 -
      Okay, I thought it was Abney, but now that you mention it, you're correct. It was Dickey Lyons Jr. Great block though, and IIRC the guy from LSU was one of the better d-backs in the SEC at that time.
      LakeCat -
      The foundation for winning football is being laid by CMS block by block. If we can keep him at least five years you will have seen a competitive SEC football team built from the ground up.
      Terry Blue -
      There's no reason we can't be a destination job and have heard Stoops say such. If we get where we're winning 7-9 games a year and contending for an SEC Championship we'll be able to pay him as much as any school. We'll be able to expand Commonwealth by then. If we can draw 40,000 to a Spring Game now, just think what we'll be able to draw then. Stoops is close to his Mother and brother in Ohio. Let's say a Florida State or a traditional power does lure him away, we'd have Neal Brown ready to step in
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      Okay, I thought it was Abney, but now that you mention it, you're correct. It was Dickey Lyons Jr. Great block though, and IIRC the guy from LSU was one of the better d-backs in the SEC at that time.
      Funny story. I knew Dicky's grandfather a bit from when he would come to the games. We stayed at the same hotel in Lexington. As I was checking out on Sunday morning, I saw the Grandfather walk through the lobby. I said, "Hey Thibideaux, did you see that lick Dicky gave that fella in yesterday's game?" He came right over next to me and in that Louisiana accent said, "HooBoy!! Richard has been lookin' for that boy for a long time!" He went on to explain that they played against each other several time in high school and Steltzer's team had knocked Holy Cross out of the playoffs. Didn't sit to well with Dicky, Jr. To say his grandfather was still pumped the next day is an understatement.
      Terry Blue -
      Dicky Jr remains one of my favorite players. I think if not for his smallish size he'd be in the NFL now. Will never forget his prediction we'd beat Miss.St after getting blown out by LSU and with the Ole Man's job possibly on the line he had one of this greatest games and we won on their field
      suncat05 -
      Yes, I always liked Dickey Jr. IIRC correctly, he had various injury issues, didn't he? I also remember that sometimes the coaching staff would be a little irritated with him because he was such a 'free spirit' in the way he would approach football related preparations. But he was certainly a good player for us. That lick on Steltz was classic!
      LarryVaught1 -
      remember you telling me that story Mick and still love it
  • KSR Twitter Feed