Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Booker's dad thinks having Harrison twins back will help his son

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Andrew Harrison

Melvin Booker has never doubted how his son, guard Devin Booker, would fit in at Kentucky after he picked the Wildcats over Missouri — the school where Melvin Booker was Big Eight Player of the Year in 1994.

“It is going to be a great fit for him. I was proud of the decision he made and the style of play fits his style. Devin shoots the ball extremely well, so I think he can play in any system but he’s really excited to play for Kentucky,” said Melvin Booker.

That feeling never wavered even as UK has its share of ups and downs last season before going on its remarkable postseason run.

“It was a great run. In my (NCAA Tournament) bracket, I had them to go to the Final Four like they did,” Melvin Booker said. “I really did. Devin and I went to the SEC Tournament and I knew coming out of that they were playing like one of the top teams in the country and I felt they could make a run. I thought the seeding especially worked out for them with who they had to play. They can rebound the hell out of the basketball and that gave the teams they played real problems.”

He’s also glad that his son will be playing with twins Andrew and Aaron Harrison next year after the freshman guards decided to stay at UK rather than leave for the NBA after their freshmen season ended with UK losing the national title game to Connecticut. Now they will be there to help guide Devin Booker and incoming freshman point guard Tyler Ulis.

“I am really excited with the fact those guys all came back. I kind of expected Julius (Randle) and James (Young) to be gone. We were anticipating the twins not being there before the season because they are so talented. But I did not want Devin and Tyler to be the young guys with all that pressure on them as freshmen.

“This is going to work out fine with the situation they have. They will be two-deep in every position. Practices might be better than games. I am very excited about the next season for Devin. I can’t wait to come watch practices. I just want to see kids competing, and they will all be competing.

“He will be in a situation without a lot of pressure on him and he can just play hard and get better. He can also learn from the older guys. When I was in college, I learned from older guys. On the road you don’t know things as simple as where the visiting locker room is. There a lot of little things he can learn as a freshman from those older guys that will make it a great season for him.”
    Comments 12 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Really liked his comments. He obviously understands how this could play out for the best for his son. Thanks for the interview.
      Padukacat -
      Well well a dad that seems to understand!
      anderwt -
      These 4 coming in get it....
      LarryVaught1 -
      they more than get it. just talked to Karl Towns Jr and Sr. Lot to come when I have time with them
      cattails -
      Very good article Larry and Mr. Booker seems to be a great fit as he seems to understands what is best for his son.
      GhettoBird -
      Good stuff LV. Thanks.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Thanks Larry!
      UKHistory -
      Looking forward to reading those comments. It does sound like a solid, mentally tough group. I think this freshmen class will really push our returning sophomores and juniors to bring out their best. This class is fundamentally sound and will be fun to watch for *maybe* a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      they more than get it. just talked to Karl Towns Jr and Sr. Lot to come when I have time with them
      CatQuick -
      Great stuff Larry. It always helps when the parents get it and are not a part of the "clutter."
      LarryVaught1 -
      All four of freshmen have great parents, just like kids last year did too
      CitizenBBN -
      Getting very excited Larry.
      Philly Cat -
      This group of freshmen is surprisingly mature and unified in their attitudes. That is going to be some serious, positive peer pressure injected into the team. And I also don't get the impression from them that there will be any leadership struggles (i.e., freshmen trying to be "the man"). It won't shock me if the freshmen lead by example, but I don't see them having any problem deferring publicly to Alex, Willie, and the Harrisons.
  • KSR Twitter Feed