Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Where are the Cats in the SEC Pecking Order?

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Aside from the exceptionally hard hitting the spring practice was a success. The response of the fans is starting to look like what we see in the rest of the SEC as it relates to spring-game attendance. This is a huge help in recruiting. “I was pleased with the gains we made in the spring,” offensive coordinator Neal Brown said. “After looking at the film of the game I saw some good things.” He said he was glad to see Patrick Towles play well but he honestly said they are a year away.

What does that mean? Being competitive with the teams at the top rung of the ladder or being able to defeat the rest of the SEC team on the schedule?

Let’s use a couple of models of former also-ran teams Vanderbilt University and the University of Missouri. Over the first decade of the 2000’s including 2010 UK had an 8-3 edge on Vandy. Since the arrival of Coach James Franklin UK is 0-3 against the Commodores. Granted his talent was better when he arrived at Vandy than when Stoops arrived at UK. Running back Zack Stacy was just shy of a 1000-yards last season playing only ten games in the NFL. But Franklin went to an unprecedented three straight bowls winning two of them. He fashioned records of 6-7, 9-4, and 9-4 while defeating Tennessee back to back and Florida something UK hasn’t done in over two-decade and a half. Wide receiver Jordan Matthews was as good a playmaking receiver as there was in the SEC going down the stretch of 2013.

Having said that UK has some catching up to do but the point is if Vandy can do it why can’t the Cats? One thing the previous coaches before Franklin were able to do and that was to establish a good base of red shirts. Robbie Caldwell went 2-10 in 2010.

In 2012 Missouri was winless in the SEC. But their quarterback James Franklin was out the entire season and young quarterback Maty Mauck got valuable experience. In 2013 Franklin missed a good bit of the season again but Mauck was ready. The Tiger’s only SEC regular season loss was to LSU in overtime 24-27. Again their base was strong on both sides on the football. The offense was anchored by receivers sophomore Dorial Green-Beckham who has since been dismissed from the team and L’Damian Washington. The defense was anchored by defensive ends Michael Sam and Kory Ealy both of who could play in the NFL. Running back Henry Josey is back for his senior season.

Where does UK fall in those aforementioned examples? A SIX PACK OF QUESTIONS:
    1) Is the Wildcats talent now comparable to what James Franklin inherited at Vanderbilt?
    2) Can Mark Stoops motivate to the level of the aforementioned?
    3) Can Neal Browns offense come up with the wide receiver playmakers of Vandy and Missouri?
    4) Can UK do what Vandy was able to accomplish and break the long losing streak to Florida?
    5) Who will be the quarterback be and will he make plays unlike something the quarterbacks haven’t been able to do in the last three years?
    6) Can UK take advantage of a rebuilding Tennessee Vol team?

Stay tuned these questions will be answered sooner rather than later.
    Comments 11 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Good questions, and I would like to add one more....

7. Will the Wildcat defense be able to get off the field on 3rd downs more often than not?
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Good questions, and I would like to add one more....

7. Will the Wildcat defense be able to get off the field on 3rd downs more often than not?
      Defense has been the question mark. At some point on that side of the ball we must become bigger, faster, or just better than the competition in some areas in order to win.

Been a long while since I've seen anything near that on an SEC level.

We can field a pretty good offense with an exceptional player or two and a semi-solid O-line.

But without being able to physically and mentally compete on defense across the line up, SEC offenses will exploit our weak spots ferociously...and at critical times.
      anderwt -
      I think we start with a SEC win...it ain't happened in awhile..baby steps
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      I think we start with a SEC win...it ain't happened in awhile..baby steps
      Starting the SEC East race with a win over Florida in Gainesville would be huge, and it would get the attention of everyone else in the SEC, not to mention the rest of the nation too. What better way to start the 2014 SEC season?
      Jimcats -
      It's a sad truth of our hunger when we hope for a single conference win.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      It's a sad truth of our hunger when we hope for a single conference win.
      Good observation.
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      Starting the SEC East race with a win over Florida in Gainesville would be huge, and it would get the attention of everyone else in the SEC, not to mention the rest of the nation too. What better way to start the 2014 SEC season?
      That's a potential program trajectory changing game
      uk-4-the-win -
      I just want to get to the point we can beat good teams. Back to the way we were those years under Rich Brooks. If we can just get back to that I'd be happy for a while.
      anderwt -
      Quote Originally Posted by uk-4-the-win View Post
      I just want to get to the point we can beat good teams. Back to the way we were those years under Rich Brooks. If we can just get back to that I'd be happy for a while.
      This..I would love going to tailgating, feeling that there was a chance UK could win the game..
      suncat05 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      That's a potential program trajectory changing game
      And I say, "Why Not? And if not now, when?"

It IS going to happen.........it's just a matter of when everything finally comes together........
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      And I say, "Why Not?
      Why Not Indeed!!
  • KSR Twitter Feed