Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• More with Devin Booker's dad

By LARRY VAUGHT

Mississippi guard Devin Booker played in two presitgious all-star games — Jordan Brand Classic and McDonald’s All-American Game — where he got to showcase his talents against the nation’s best players, including future Kentucky teammates Tyler Ulis, Karl Towns Jr. and Trey Lyles.

“They went well,” said Melvin Booker, Devin’s father. “Those type games, it’s more the experience of being around other top kids, doing community service. A lot of people just see the games on TV, but the practices are the most important thing because they really go hard. You get more opportunity to show your skills in practice than in games, but he got to go against all the top players.”

The 6-5 Booker, who averaged about 30 points and five rebounds per game last year, spent last weekend in Dallas watching former AAU teammates play as he gets set to arrive at UK in early June to start his collegiate career.

“Devin improved every year in Mississippi he was with me,” Melvin Booker said. “You can always find something to improve. Over the past year we worked more on creating his own shot off the dribble. Watching him practice against the top kids in the nation in those all-star games, he did a great job getting his shot off and creating for others. Those were the things we tried to do all year.

“Devin is not going to wow you, but he does a lot of things really, really good. He shoots it well, his basketball IQ is very good, he’s a great teammate. He just wants to win. Once people see him, they usually say he is a lot better than they thought he was. We have been working on him moving better. His size, too. He’s bigger than a lot of people think he is.

“You have to play hard all the time from start to finish. There’s only one way to play the game and that’s play hard. He does that.”

He’s being touted as one of the best shooters coming into college basketball next season.

“That is his strong point along with his IQ. The good thing about him is that if he does miss a few, he doesn’t lose confidence in his shot. He continues to shoot it.” Melvin Booker said. “It’s not any pressure on him to be known as a great shooter. His form is almost picture perfect. If you know basketball and see a guy shoot you can tell if he is a shooter. Even if he has an off night, you can still tell he is a great shooter.

“I don’t just want him labelled as a great shooter because there is so much more to his game than shooting. But shooting is his strong point. If you can initiate the offense and create for others on top of making shots, then you are a complete player and what is what he tries to be.”

Melvin Booker and another assistant coach had to take over the head coaching duties at Moss Point midway of the season when the head coach resigned. However, Melvin Booker said it was not that hard because the head coach had always asked his advice on various things.

“I always had a voice on the team, so it wasn’t much different,” Melvin Booker, a former Big Eight Player of the Year at Missouri, said.

As assistant or head coach, Melvin Booker enjoyed coaching his son.

“It was a lot of fun to watch him go through the process. I was just out there helping him during the games,” Melvin Booker said. “I worked with him on things I think he needed to work on, but I was a proud Pop sitting there watching him play and it will be the same way watching him at Kentucky.”
    Comments 4 Comments
      jazyd -
      Too many are selling him short, he will get minutes and be a starter as a soph, and will push Aaron hard. Every coach on the coast says he is a great young man. He is much better than people think. Aaron better be working hard
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      Too many are selling him short, he will get minutes and be a starter as a soph, and will push Aaron hard. Every coach on the coast says he is a great young man. He is much better than people think. Aaron better be working hard
      My gosh Skip give it a rest!! He is 6'5" and that is not short. Ulis..........OK I agree.
      jazyd -
      He is a Ms kid, gotta brag on him

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      My gosh Skip give it a rest!! He is 6'5" and that is not short. Ulis..........OK I agree.
      LarryVaught1 -
      I think he's really under appreciated at this point
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post