Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Dad shares what Karl Towns' biggest adjustment at UK will be

By: LARRY VAUGHT

What will be the biggest adjustment for 7-footer Karl Towns Jr., one of the nation’s top-ranked high school seniors, when he gets to Kentucky?

He’ll be facing older, more experienced teammates. He’ll be playing more game. He’ll be coached by John Calipari and staff like he never has been before and pushed to daily limits he probably can’t even grasp yet. Plus, he’ll be under the daily Big Blue microscope.

Yet his father, Karl Towns Sr., thinks his toughest adjustment will come off the court in a special way.

“The hardest thing is going to be having to wash his own clothes. Now that is going to be a transition for him,” said Karl Towns Sr. “He’s going to have to learn to fend for himself. There will nobody there to do all that kind of stuff for him. That will be the hardest thing for him to adjust to. The basketball, physical fitness, maturity, he’ll be fine with all that. But the laundry, I just don’t know.”

Karl Towns Jr. has played for John Calipari on the Dominican National team. He’s played against NBA players, including some of the leagues top stars.

“He’s been through it all,” his father said. “He’s played with pros and battled NBA men. Nothing on the court is really going to bother Karl. The best thing for him is that there will be no more double or triple teams (like he faced in high school in New Jersey). He’ll get to go one-on-one and with his skill set and ability to shoot from the 3-point line, that will be fun.

“He’ll be a challenge for a lot of teams. They will have to pick their poison. He can handle (the ball). He can play the block. He can pass. That’s why he won’t be intimidated going down there. He knows what Cal expects and that part will be fine.”
    Comments 8 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      “The hardest thing is going to be having to wash his own clothes. Now that is going to be a transition for him,”
      Love that comment. That is a big step for a large portion of the college student population.
      LarryVaught1 -
      It overwhelmed me
      CitizenBBN -
      How dare he go and remind us these are kids going off to college and leaving home on an extended basis for the first time in their lives. College sports is largely built on a foundation of not relating to them when we went off like that at that age and had to figure it all out for ourselves.

besides, we have student managers for a reason.
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      The realization that clothes don't magically wash themselves comes as a huge surprise to most kids. That's why they'll wear a pair of jeans for two hours while never budgiing an inch and then throw them in the hamper. Or on the floor with the ones that are actually dirty.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by ShoesSwayedBlue View Post
      The realization that clothes don't magically wash themselves comes as a huge surprise to most kids. That's why they'll wear a pair of jeans for two hours while never budgiing an inch and then throw them in the hamper. Or on the floor with the ones that are actually dirty.
      As opposed to college, where I threw mine in a suitcase and brought them home when i came back for the weekend.

That's not completely true. I took the pants and shirts to the dry cleaners. I can live on rice and potatoes and popcorn but I don't like using community washers and dryers. lol
      VirginiaCat -
      I threw mine in a garbage bag and visited mom just because I missed her.....God that woman is and was a saint...

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      As opposed to college, where I threw mine in a suitcase and brought them home when i came back for the weekend.

That's not completely true. I took the pants and shirts to the dry cleaners. I can live on rice and potatoes and popcorn but I don't like using community washers and dryers. lol
      Rock Hard Ten -
      Thanks Larry….down to earth real life stuff!!!
      suncat05 -
      College kids wash their clothes? Who knew?

I think that college kids coming home with dirty clothes is a ritual among American families for eons now. It always amazed me how many dirty clothes my daughter would cart home from Gainesville with during her four years at Florida. I think that this is one of those little things in life that helps some with the maturation process and helps them learn time management too. Life's lessons.
  • KSR Twitter Feed