Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with Willis' high school coach, Willis' comments from NCAA

By LARRY VAUGHT

During a conversation with Kentucky freshman Derek Willis during the NCAA Tournament, he said “without a doubt for sure” when asked if he had become a better player during his first year with UK. He also stressed he already knew what he had to do during the offseason.

“I am just going to dedicate myself more to basketball. I have been the kind of kid that in season I would work really hard and do what I could, but in the offseason I would just want to hang out with my friends because during the basketball season you don’t get to do stuff like that. I just have to dedicate myself if I want to play more,” said Willis.

An honest answer from a player who played in just 39 minutes in 14 games last season when he had 16 points and eight rebounds for the season — less than he had in most games during his prep career at Bullitt East.

“It has just been a learning experience definitely,” Wilis said. “But I am enjoying all the experiences I can with the trips and stuff and practice. I have learned everything from concentration to how to defend someone to how to play offensively. Just a lot of stuff.

“I probably didn’t play more because of the way my body is built. I am not the strongest player on the team without question. That is something I am going to be working on and eventually it will happen.”

Yet some are now speculating that Willis is unhappy with his spot at Kentucky now that Willie Cauley-Stein, Alex Poythress, Dakari Johnson, Marcus Lee, Andrew Harrison and Aaron Harrison have all decided to stay at UK another season rather than leave for the NBA. Plus, UK has four more McDonald’s All-Americans — Karl Towns Jr., Trey Lyles, Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis — in its signing class.

Reports surfaced that Willis was contemplating a transfer — a rumor that Troy Barr, Willis’ high school coach, vehemently denied Sunday.

“I have been in contact with Derek and talked to his dad several times. The only thing they have expressed to me is that he is committed to staying at Kentucky,” Barr said. “People are assuming that because other people stayed it will make Derek rethink staying at UK. It doesn’t take a lot of intelligence to know there is a lot of talent there and maybe a kid like Derek could get frustrated and leave. In this day and age assumption can turn to rumor and rumor turn to fact pretty quick on social media. It gets crazy.

“Derek has met with Cal (John Calipari). He understands where he fits in. He has not told me word for word how the conversation went, but everything Derek told me and others have told me is there will be an opportunity to get minutes at the 3 (small forward) if he develops. They feel like a year of experience could help him be part of the playing rotation.”

Barr says Willis “seems motivated” to work harder and get stronger.

“The biggest thing has always been his diet. He likes to eat candy and has never dedicated himself to gaining weight,” Barr said.

Barr watched UK practice last season and noted when Willis was on the floor, he “fit in” with the top players.

“It’s not like he looked like a walk-on. He is 6-9 with skills. He can shoot and score,” Barr said. “The thing that stood out is that he did not yet have the body weight to hang with those guys. I think he feels improved as a player and knows he has to add weight and strength. He knows he can shoot, pass, handle the ball. But to play in the SEC and play the schedule UK does, you’ve got to be physical.

“He knows all that and he wants to work to get better and show he can get on the floor and play at Kentucky. Nothing about being there has surprised him. He knew the talent there and he believes he can play with that talent and I know he can. So people can speculate all they want, but from all he’s told me he’s going to be back at Kentucky.”
    Comments 12 Comments
      Padukacat -
      Kevin Durants body doesn't look very strong, I bet he could play at this level. Weight shouldn't be an issue if he's playing the three, more like quickness and handle. I don't know if Willis can guard a 3 can he? I mean most are 6'5" that he will see. Not sure it will matter if he can guard though...
      CitizenBBN -
      Great stuff Larry. Great to have a guy you can depend on to get the story right and be a journalist.
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Great stuff Larry. Great to have a guy you can depend on to get the story right and be a journalist.
      So what you're telling me is its a good idea to interview the party involved to get a story...hmm great idea never thought about that
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      So what you're telling me is its a good idea to interview the party involved to get a story...hmm great idea never thought about that
      Crazy huh? Larry may be setting a real trend here, a whole new concept in information delivery. talk to people, quote them, ask questions, and provide that direct info to interested followers without trying to embellish it or re-interpret it to suit an agenda. It needs a snappy name where you don't just talk about innuendo or make stuff up, something like "journalism" maybe.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Crazy huh? Larry may be setting a real trend here, a whole new concept in information delivery. talk to people, quote them, ask questions, and provide that direct info to interested followers without trying to embellish it or re-interpret it to suit an agenda. It needs a snappy name where you don't just talk about innuendo or make stuff up, something like "journalism" maybe.
      I doubt it. That require work, people skills, and contacts. Most, today, shun the first, have none of the 2nd, and for number 3, they have contacts, but it is mostly each other.

Thanks for the effort Larry V. Good to know Willis knows what he needs to do to improve and get PT. Hope he follows thru and is truly committed. I think he can be a special player in time.
      bigsky -
      Nice to hear him acknowledge exactly what I said he needed to do. Now if only my sons would do that...
      LarryVaught1 -
      Just old and old fashioned. LIke to have sources that are willing to be quoted on stories
      CitizenBBN -
      Larry you have a journalist's balance between "on record" and "sources" and how to report each in its proper place. You know all too well that's a lost art in a world where we all know people are just making stuff up or reporting a "rumor" from a "source" that is just some other guy with no real sources, putting it out on twitter or a blog with no sense of ethics. It's even worse when for reasons I can't completely fathom (other than web views) they are given the credibility of putting it on ESPN or CBS or SI's site.

There was a time "reporting" was separated from "editorial". These days I'm not sure this "done deal" stuff is either, it's just yellow journalism that would do Hearst proud. If one of these guys reported Cuba attacked a US navy vessel I wouldn't be surprised. You've always handled those distinctions like a true journalist, we all know what you are reporting as fact and on record and what you feel or have heard. Those others don't even see that distinction.
      Darrell KSR -
      Great piece, Larry.

via mobile app
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Padukacat View Post
      Kevin Durants body doesn't look very strong, I bet he could play at this level. Weight shouldn't be an issue if he's playing the three, more like quickness and handle. I don't know if Willis can guard a 3 can he? I mean most are 6'5" that he will see. Not sure it will matter if he can guard though...
      You can reverse this, how many 3's can guard a 6'9" 3? He should be able to post up about any 3 "if he get the weight and gets stronger". I saw plenty of handle and he is not slow. And how many Kevin Durants are in the NBA??
      anderwt -
      I think coach cal knows he can score, but can he defend and rebound the way he needs to at 6'9?? WEIGHT ROOM
      jazyd -
      It's why I pass any info I get to Larry, he investigates it and if true passes it on when appropriate and w/O me as a source which is the way I want it. Allows me more info which is hard to come by. It's why I trust him

PQUOTE=CitizenBBN;187161]Larry you have a journalist's balance between "on record" and "sources" and how to report each in its proper place. You know all too well that's a lost art in a world where we all know people are just making stuff up or reporting a "rumor" from a "source" that is just some other guy with no real sources, putting it out on twitter or a blog with no sense of ethics. It's even worse when for reasons I can't completely fathom (other than web views) they are given the credibility of putting it on ESPN or CBS or SI's site.

There was a time "reporting" was separated from "editorial". These days I'm not sure this "done deal" stuff is either, it's just yellow journalism that would do Hearst proud. If one of these guys reported Cuba attacked a US navy vessel I wouldn't be surprised. You've always handled those distinctions like a true journalist, we all know what you are reporting as fact and on record and what you feel or have heard. Those others don't even see that distinction.[/QUOTE]
  • KSR Twitter Feed