Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Drew Barker's Growth Emits Hints, Whispers, and Proclimations

How often is it that a true freshman quarterback at a big-conference University draws serious conversation of being a possible starter. Not unusual for a red shirt freshman quarterback taking over the job but this is after a little seasoning. Drew Barker is drawing such conversation.

Perhaps Barker can follow the blueprint of the great Peyton Manning laid down in 1994. But even he didn't accomplish what Barker is attempting to get done. Understandably with the future Hall of Famer. You see, that was during the glory years of Tennessee football and there was more to beat out when they were winning ten-games a year. Manning was a January enrollee same as Barker. At the start of the season Jerry Colquitt was the starter and was hurt the first game and Todd Helton took over as the starter and later got injured which allowed Manning to start the fifth game against Washington State and the rest is history.

The last major scrimmage Barker lit up the faces of onlookers which prompted Mark Stoops to say "Barker looked pretty good today." The Jalen Whitlow transfer came on the heels of a radio proclamation that if they had to play that day Jalen Whitlow would be the starter. We think Stoops was taken out of context. Sure, that day wasn't against UT Martin
    at the opening of the 2014 season. Whitlow was the most seasoned and had the most familiarity with the system, and had been through the SEC.

Now after the scrimmage of Saturday April 12th there is a air of optimism that Barker may be able to beat the wheel of the customary path to getting the starting nod over the field that has been narrowed to three. Brown said of Barker - "If you came out the first day you wouldn't have known he was a true freshman." (hint, hint) Without his spring enrollment he would now be preparing his Prom plans in high school. You could say that Barker's early enrollment is his equivalent to a red shirt year. Brown said he's showing maturity beyond his years. "He make very few mental mistakes."

We know he has good leadership qualities because he was largely responsible for the quality of the 2014 recruiting class. He collaborated with several recruits to set up official visits and they were more than willing to cooperate.

When interviewing a certain UK coach and the line of questioning turn to the subject Whitlow's transfer. The questioner was focusing on Patrick Towles who Stoops said was the most improved quarterback on the team. Post-interview the coach said into my ear, "that Barker looks pretty good."(whisper, whisper).

Could UK have a young phenom on their hands? That we don't know but they are overdue for some luck at the quarterback position that has gone lacking since the 2010 season. Stay tuned for Mister Barker.

Towles still pans to go to California to hook up with quarterback guru George Whitfield. Towles still may still have something to say about the quarterback position coming all the way back for last on the 2013 depth chart.
    Comments 3 Comments
      Terry Blue -
      Any of the 3 qbs there starting would be fine with me. I still doubt a starter will be named till next fall. Will have to watch the development over the next 3-4 mos
      dan_bgblue -
      Thanks Lonny. It is good to know that his high school rep may transform into an SEC rep sooner than many expect.
      CatQuick -
      I still hope that Towles wins the job to let Drew ease into the lineup not only like Manning but I think Stafford was similar in that he started about the 4th game. Once Drew is starting he is cemented there and I think that bodes well for our turnaround.
  • KSR Twitter Feed