Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Andy Murray, Freddie Maggard on UK reaching out to former players

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Former Kentucky football players have been invited to not only attend Saturday’s scrimmage at Commonwealth Stadium, but also have lunch with the players after the scrimmage. Spouses and children are also invited.
    Former players can make arrangements to also attend other practices, but coach Joker Phillips set up Saturday’s event specifically for former Cats to have a chance to meet and spend time with the current players.
    Freddie Maggard and Andy Murray are two former Wildcats who remain Kentucky fans and regularly attend games. Maggard, who lettered from 1989-1991, lives in Lawrenceburg and Murray, who lettered from 1986-1989, in Independence.

They shared their thoughts on this move by UK to reach out to football alumni.

Question: What do you think of the offer for former players to come have lunch with current players after practice Saturday?

Murray: “I think it is great for the program to reach out to its history and let the current team know and understand that there are still a lot of guys out there that would love to have one more shot in Commonwealth. I also think Joker has done a much better job of reaching out to us than past coaches.”

Maggard: “I appreciate the opportunity. I hope to see a many old friends at the luncheon. Joker’s done more for alumni re-connection than any other coach I can remember. I truly think it’s very important to him as well as it should be. Former players are the program’s best ambassadors; I’ve never understood why we’ve not been engaged more in the past. But, from the Captain’s Breakfast to this, Joker’s vision of a strong alumni base has been evident; I’d like to see that vision supported. I see this is a step in that direction.”

Question: Is this something you would like to see become a tradition at Kentucky?

Murray: “I think that anytime you talk about traditions, you think of established powers in their given sport. Joker is trying to establish his mark, or stamp, on this program and that starts with its history and his knowledge of our history and how hard it has been to establish something of substance. This process of inviting players back is not costly … but I think it can be very beneficial in the long run if we can make everyone feel welcome.”

Maggard: “Absolutely, and more opportunities like this can only strengthen the UK football family. Quite honestly, some guys graduate, leave, and don’t want to come back regardless of where they went to school. That’s understandable, but there are also folks like me that are UK fanatics that side more with being a fan than being a part of the organization if that makes sense. For me personally, I love the alumni events. I get to meet players that I looked up to as a kid and still have the game programs with their autographs on the cover. I remember the 1977 team. My dad gave me a dollar every time I could name all 22 starters before listening to the away games with Cawood (Ledford) at the call. Missing a home game was not an option. Being 10 years old and being the first vehicle in parking lot waiting on the bus to get a high five from Derrick Ramsey. That’s what UK football means to me. We have season tickets, go to away games, and I leave no doubt in the conversation that I’m a UK guy. This is a start, it would do more damage than good if this is not sustained or built upon in the future than not addressing the issue at all.”

Question: Do you see this as a step to maybe make former players feel more a part of the program than many seem to now?

Murray: “I think the former players feel a connection to Joker and these kids and will always feel connected based on the sacrifices we made during our time in Lexington.”

Maggard: “I would like to hope so. Like I said earlier, Joker Phillips has stressed former player re-connection more than any other coach I can remember. But, Joker is the head coach. His responsibilities don’t allow him to coordinate the events, stuff invitation envelopes, send email invites, or work the grill. He is and should be focused on the big picture.

“It’s paramount that his vision is supported from within the program, alumni organizations, and from the University. These groups require synchronization to enact a successful alumni program. Somebody may ask why this is so important. It must be significant; many SEC programs have a person on staff just for Alumni Relations. Alumni functions are not accidental and require in-depth planning and organization. But more importantly, it takes passion.

“I’m excited to see Jeremy Jarmon in his new role and would like to see former players of all generations welcomed, not just pocketed tenures. We don’t need separate Brooks’ guys, Mumme’s guys, or even Claiborne’s guys. We need UK Men. We don’t have to look far to see a successful example. The family environment atmosphere is one thing that is universally praised in Rupp Arena. ’d like to see that same ‘welcome home passion to former football players as well. That’s a win-win for all things UK.”

Question: What could this mean to the current players to have a chance to meet former players such as yourself?

Maggard: “I’m not sure I bring much to the table there, but I think it’s very important that current players meet alumnus like Lt. Col. Travis Powers, a former walk-on quarterback from Middlesboro that ended up as a long-snapper and special teams’ captain that battled through knee surgeries to contribute to the program he dearly loves. Travis is now a Marine Corp Aviator. So is Major Jeff Speedy. I bet most players on the team and sadly some fans have never heard of Wilbur Hackett who was a courageous SEC pioneer in the 60’s. To say it was an honor to meet him would be a tremendous understatement.

“Those are just a few examples of how former Wildcats have developed leadership at the University that have real-world ramifications. I know Lt. Col. Powers and Mr. Hackett have both attended our Captain’s Breakfast in the past. Those stories should and must be shared within the program and with our fans. I’ve always said UK football fans are the best in the SEC. I’d like to even see a fan appreciation day. Certainly they’ve earned that reward.”

Question: What things would you tell current players that might help them?

Murray: “I think the best advice is to believe in your teammates and coaches and not let the outside noise get to you. I also told them (the captains) in the captains’ breakfast this year that they need to take some ownership in this thing as well. They need to be the example for all of this new young talent coming into our program.”

‘“These new players will learn how to practice and prepare themselves based on the veterans work habits. I asked the captains if they were leading in a positive way, or were they just trying to make it through the process. When you talk about winning and tradition, that is why the great programs have success year in and year out. Someone, at some point, taught everyone involved in the program how to work and how to win. They established a mark/bar that you never wanted to find yourself below. Finding yourself below that mark meant you did not sustain the winning ways. When we get that from the older members of this team, we will win.”

Maggard: “That they are not alone, names on the back of the jerseys may change, but the stories are generationally common. Take Morgan Newton, I had the same shoulder surgery my junior year and had to deal with the rehab and pain to fight back. I understand what he’s going through. Take advantage of the C.A.T.S Center and the resources available to earn their degree which is a must in today’s environment. Choose a post-football career that you are passionate about. A career is for a life-time and much different than having a job for 30 years.”
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Andy Murray, Freddie Maggard on UK reaching out to former players started by LarryVaught1 View original post
  • KSR Twitter Feed