Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Jalen Whitlow's Truth or Consesquences

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Sure I'm dating myself but every year in the war adds something to the repertoire and hopefully the experience of being at Kentucky and playing against SEC competition something has been added to quarterback Jalen Whitlow's repertoire. In expressing the give and takes of his transferring to another school we will dig up the old "Truth or Consequences" Ralph Edwards radio production and later on television.

Truth or - Whitlow is transferring to another to play quarterback at another school.
    Consequences: It is never good to lose a good athlete out of your program.

Truth or - Offensive coordinator Neal Brown said Whitlow was not even close to being the cause for the offenses woes last season.
    Consequences: The coach clearing the air before it becomes nebulously unjustly the decision made by Brown and Mark Stoops.

Truth or - Jalen Whitlow was given a fair shot to win the job.
    Consequences: There may be some people that think he didn't get that fair shot but the coaches were fair to him.

Truth or: Whitlow had a good arm but lacked in consistency.
    Consequences: For the tempo offense which calls for a lot of short passes accuracy had to be a premium.

Truth or: "Disappointed that Jalen decided to transfer," Stoops said.
    Consequences: Whitlow had a conversation with Stoops who told him where they at in the quarterback situation and what his best option is a Wildcat.

Truth or - As per usual the head coach will help Whitlow find the best fit at another school so he can do what makes him happy.
    Consequences: Unfortunate for Whitlow the successes of transfers are in the low percentage range.

Truth or - Stoops said they are narrowing the quarterback race down.
    Consequences: Often times it's addition by subtraction and with Whitlow gone the path to is closing down to one track.

Truth or - Yesterday was the first time the subject was broached with Whitlow.
    Consequences: Given a years collection of performance on Whitlow Saturdays scrimmage was the crowning blow.

Truth or - Neal Brown set the record straight on last season.
    Consequences: He said he want to make it clear that the woeful season was in very small part Whitlow's responsibility.

Truth or - "Jalen made strides," Brown explained.
    Consequences: "But other quarterbacks made bigger strides.

Considering the quality person Jalen Whitlow is his life will have many positive consequences because good things happen to good people.
    Comments 8 Comments
      Jelleyjr -
      Good assessment Lonny!
      cattails -
      Better to let him know now than wait until fall, plus give him the option to play another position. Myself I think he is making a big mistake, he isn't going to be a better QB at some other place, JMO.
      catmanjack -
      The one question he needed to ask himself is can I make the NFL as a QB?
      Can I make the NFL as a Randle Cobb type player?

Wish him well and hope for the best.
      Kacat -
      Nice kid. Wish him the best.
      Darrell KSR -
      My question--shouldn't Jalen have waited a few days before making this decision, and the announcement? Or was it appropriate now, since the staff apparently wanted him to make the change immediately (I assume?)

To me, this is the kind of thing that is a shock to me after playing QB (and being the primary starter) for two years. Give me some time to think about it and allow the shock to wear off, and I may get on board with it.

Perhaps stupidly, for Jalen's sake, I'm sort of hoping that happens while he finishes out the semester at UK. But by making the announcement, it may have sealed the deal (very likely did, I know.)
      catmanjack -
      In all fairness what are his real options, another SEC school I doubt it more like a western or eastern
      Catonahottinroof -
      I doubt he will be at Eastern or Western, likely he will end up back in Alabama where he is from either at UAB or Troy St.
      CatQuick -
      Seems like both sides handled it well enough. I'm guessing it wasn't an impulsive decision to transfer and that the handwriting has been on the wall. I believe it will work out to be a win-win situation.
  • KSR Twitter Feed