Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with Alex Poythress' father about player's future

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Antoine Poythress thought it was “crazy” that coach John Calipari and his staff had to start talking about NBA draft possibilities with players hours after Kentucky lost to Connecticut in the national title game, but he also knew the time frame for making future decisions made that a necessity.

“You have zero time and it’s hard to evaluate all this so quickly,” said Poythress, the father of UK sophomore Alex Poythress. “I have been trying to get some feedback of my own. Trying to go through this so quickly is a nightmare. It’s just difficult with such a short period of time.

“For Alex, it’s even worse because it is not very clear. Last year (making a decision about the draft) looked like a cake walk compared to this year. It is so muddy and convoluted this year.”

Poythress averaged 5.9 points, 4.5 rebounds and 18.4 minutes per game this year. He shot 49.7 percent from the field (88 of 177), but was just 8-for-33 (24.2) percent from 3-point range. He also had only 17 assists and 12 steals in 40 games.

“You can file with the NCAA to give you something back (feedback-wise), but they are so conservative it is not very realistic if you are not in the top five or six guys,” Poythress said. “I guess they don’t want to steer you wrong, so they are conservative to a fault. They just basically give you the worst case scenario and throw everybody in to the mid to late second round.

“You can’t talk to any teams directly as a parent. You can’t sign with an agent to get information if you want to keep the option of staying in school open. So you are just getting information from whoever volunteers to help and some guys might give you nothing but BS. You have got to have a friend or someone who can help and even then they can all tell you is hypotheticals. The school can talk to them (NBA personnel) more than I can or Alex can. So we have to work through the school to get feedback.”

Poythress had some of his best moments in NCAA play. He scored six points in the final 4 1/2 minutes of the comeback win over Louisville. He had eight points in the Elite Eight win over Michigan. He had six points against previously unbeaten Wichita State. More importantly, he showcased the athleticism and talent that made many project him as a high NBA lottery pick before he played his first game at Kentucky.

One NBA scout offered this on Poythress (NBA scouts cannot be quoted on the record about specific players who are draft eligible): “As good as Alex looked at times during the tournament, I just don't see how he could sneak into the first round in such a deep draft,” the scout said.

Poythress has until April 27th to decide if he wants to declare for the draft or return to Kentucky for his junior season.

“We will let Alex make the decision. Technically, his decision might not be my decision, but he has to live it and go through it all,” Poythress adi. “From my perspective, I don’t have to dribble and go through all this. I just give him my recommendation. He has to make a decision on what he needs to do. I just try to help and gather information the best I can. It’s never my decision. It is always his decision to make.

“I couldn’t imagine him being able to get the same set of information that I can get with him just being a college kid. People will tell him anything to influence him, especially with the evaluation being tougher than last year.”

Alex Poythress would be close to finishing his degree if he decides to stay at UK for another year. His father said his son changed his major to accounting and has several accounting courses he would have to take in the next year to finish his degree.

“If he doesn’t get it done, he would be close. He has been in summer school both years and takes a very good class load,” Antoine Poythress said.

While finishing his degree will have “some impact” on the UK sophomore’s decision, where he would likely fall in the draft will naturally have the biggest impact.

“Where he is projected and the risk associated with it is what Alex has to weigh,” his father said. “The second round is risky. There’s no guaranteed money, no guarantee of anything in the second round. It’s really taking a big risk. A lot will tell you if you have to go as a second round pick, why bother doing. Other factors could lead to your stock going down as the draft approached. It is not an exact science.

“Kids that go early in the second round are probably okay, but if you go 40th or later, you just taking a risk that you will even make a team. You get not guaranteed contract and a team is really not vested in you.”

He noted that a team like the Philadelphia 76ers “has a ton of second round picks” and isn’t likely to keep all those draft choices on the roster. He also said the Developmental League “is not a very good life” for young players who fail to land on a NBA roster.

“That would not be an option to leave school early to end up there,” Poythress said about his son. “He played great the last few weeks and great in the tournament. He was relaxed and played great down the stretch. He made big plays at the right time when they really needed them. He played big, played good defense down the stretch in about every game and played well against different styles coming at him.

“Then again, his stat line not very good. He averaged less than six points per game. Field goal attempts and all were down (from last year) and points per minute were down cause he did not shoot as much.

“He just has a tough decision to make. He’s got to weigh a lot of things. He enjoys school. He enjoys the environment and being at Kentucky. It’s just a mater of getting minutes to show all he can do in longer stretches. That would be ideal for him. He just has to sit down and think and decide (about what to do) before he runs out of time.”

Antoine Poythress said the good thing is that his son is not being forced to make a bad decision because he can return to UK and be the most veteran player — and likely team leader — on another talented team.

“You don’t want to make a bad decision. That’s the most important thing,” Antoine Poythress said. “He can always come back. He’s not out there on a ledge with no options. He just has a decision to make versus having a decision made for him.”
    Comments 22 Comments
      Bakert -
      Reading between the lines - Tommy likey!!
      WoodstockCat -
      Thanks as always Larry for great in-depth quotes. Transparent talk there from a parent especially about D-League life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      CitizenBBN -
      incredibly insightful article Larry. Tells you a lot not just about Alex but about the process and why the kids like Cal so much and what he does for them.

If the parents can't really talk to the pros and the kids can't much either the school/coach becomes the gatekeeper for all that info. It's easier to see how K or Pitino can filter that info to influence a player to return and why the kids like Cal so much for being so honest with them from start to finish. Kids aren't dumb, they know, and they know Cal is telling them the truth. He calls them with the kid in the room listening at least some of the time, that has to go a long way.

As for Alex he needs to return. Absurdly deep draft this year, and he's just now finding his game rhythm. If he follows up tourney play with the same relaxed but aggressive balance he had in those games he's a definite first round pick next year. He needed to find his game, to get that feel for when to do what, it looks like he may be getting there. Show that he is and he's in great shape for a long pro career.
      anderwt -
      AP can absolutely re-boost his stock by performing like he did those last weekends...Consistency would be the break through...we see it, coaches see it in practice, now go do it
      GhettoBird -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      AP can absolutely re-boost his stock by performing like he did those last weekends...Consistency would be the break through...we see it, coaches see it in practice, now go do it
      I believe he will come back and be a first round pick, and leave with a college degree.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      Agree, it's absolutely the key for him.

IMO Alex is very talented and a good guy, he's just struggled to find that song in his head. there's a rhythm to games, a beat, and he's struggled to turn what he's learned into an instinctual level way of knowing what to do and when. it often takes big men longer in general for some reason, nothing good or bad in it, everyone finds it in their own time. he's just finding that from what we saw in the tourney. come back and show it's there every game now and he's in like Flynn.
      bigsky -
      Accountants rock
      Philly Cat -
      Alex can be the Darius Miller next year-- not the same role on the court, but the steadying influence on the court in temperment and the unquestioned leader off the court.
      Terry Blue -
      Needs to return, no brainer. Harrison's need to also, but may not
      KeithKSR -
      One thing this group of players has going for it are parents who don't get wrapped up in the situation and forget that you gotta look at the forest along with the trees.
      Padukacat -
      great article larry, that says a lot right ther!
      LarryVaught1 -
      Parents the last few years have been great. Untold part of the UK story how these parents want best, on and off court, for kids and do value education and want their kids to learn and grow under Cal
      TonyRay -
      If Alex would just realize that he has the athletic ability to dominate he would. He made some plays that made you drop your jaw, wow!
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      Parents the last few years have been great. Untold part of the UK story how these parents want best, on and off court, for kids and do value education and want their kids to learn and grow under Cal
      I think that is another positive when a coach recruits high character kids. High character kids tend to be the products of high character parenting.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by LarryVaught1 View Post
      High character kids coming from high character parents. Wish that would be the national story at UK.

via mobile app
      LarryVaught1 -
      Feeling even better tonight that Alex will be back
      anderwt -
      Good to hear Larry..like cak has stated, you are not a failure if you need to be in school more than a year heck 2..guys like Willie and Alex see that I think..comes from having a good home life probably and not surrounding yourself with moochers
      jazyd -
      I think that is what has shocked me about Cal, the character and academics of players he has signed.

QUOTE=LarryVaught1;182343]Parents the last few years have been great. Untold part of the UK story how these parents want best, on and off court, for kids and do value education and want their kids to learn and grow under Cal[/QUOTE]
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      I think that is what has shocked me about Cal, the character and academics of players he has signed.

QUOTE=LarryVaught1;182343]Parents the last few years have been great. Untold part of the UK story how these parents want best, on and off court, for kids and do value education and want their kids to learn and grow under Cal
      [/QUOTE]

Me, too. The kids don't have to be academic stars and boy scouts, but I admit, it is fun to root for them when their character is as high as they own. And I did not expect it... no offense intended to Cal, just thought the supply of that type is so limited.

via mobile app
      UKHistory -
      You have to applaud Cal for the type of young men he has recruited and how they have behaved in a highly scrutinized world and performed in the class and on the court.
  • KSR Twitter Feed