Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Barnhart responds to Chapman tweet/Calipari rumor

By: LARRY VAUGHT

ARLINGTON — Both Kentucky coach John Calipari and UK athletics director Mitch Barnhart denied a rumor started by former Kentucky star Rex Chapman that Calipari leaving to coach the Los Angeles Lakers was a “done deal.”

That’s the message Chapman posted on Twitter before UK lost 60-54 to Connecticut here Monday night in the national championship game.

“The Lakers have a basketball coach. Kentucky has a basketball coach. I got the best job in the country. I'm not going to even dignify that stuff,” said Calipari during his postgame press conference.

The Lakers also denied having any conversations with Calipari, who coached the New Jersey Nets before he was fired early in his third season. Los Angeles coach Mike D’Antoni has another year left on his contract with the Lakers.

Barnhart said he “for sure” expected Calipari back coaching at UK next season.

“He and I are tied at the hip sort of contractually. We both have the same number of years left (on contracts at UK). We are both 55 and we will sort of see how it goes but I certainly anticipate that,” Barnhart said. “I don’t have much reaction (to rumors). I have been at it to react.

“I want him to know I love him. I certainly want him to be our coach at Kentucky. He knows how special he is to this program at Kentucky. The fans certainly have let him know he is a special part of Kentucky history.”

"You go day-to-day with people and you trust what they do. I've been with Cal five years now. I think I know him fairly well, and if there's anything I need to be concerned about, we'd have those conversations. And we haven't had those conversations."

Calipari has taken UK to three Final Fours in the last four years and four Elite Eights in his five years at UK. He won the national title in 2012.

“It has been incredibly special. A lot of special moments in his five years and I don’t expect it to end,” Barnhart said. “We have more players coming in next year. We have some guys that will come back and be part of this program that will continue to grow.

“Kentucky is a very special place and we all know that. There are very few places like it pro or college in the deal. We are very, very proud to be part of the program and very proud that he is our coach.”

Barnhart admitted the timing of Chapman’s information was a bit disconcerting, especially since he is a former UK player and even worked the special “homer” telecast on TNT of UK’s semifinal game with Wisconsin Saturday with WKYT-TV’s Rob Bromley and Dave Baker.

“I think timing is difficult. I am thankful that I don’t think the players caught wind ... yeah, it is just something that was probably not the time or place. But it is what it is and in the world of social media, those things happen,” Barnhart said. “I am happy for our team and would rather focus on that tonight.

“Again, I am really proud of their effort and very, very proud of Cal for what he did to get us to this spot. We were pretty close. Six points away, or seven points away, from a championship. It was an exciting run for our guys.”

Kentucky players did confirm what Barnhart thought when they said they had not heard the rumors.

“I don’t know anything about that,” James Young said.

"People are always going to have rumors about this team and people are always saying stuff, but it doesn't really affect us,” Andrew Harrison said.
    Comments 33 Comments
      TheFabFueder -
      Don't think and certainly hope he's not going, but can't help but think of Roy William "I don't give a s**t about Carolina" at just about the same time.
      KeithKSR -
      I doubt a pay cut and an expanded schedule is that appealing to a 55-year old.
      UKHistory -
      What was not by Barnhart in quotes is the most important part of the article. Even if Rex is correct, and I hope he is not, the timing of this ill advised decision makes me not want him to have a chance to work with UK directly on anything. Not another broadcast. Not one penny from me and I hope any UK fans.
      Doc -
      Rex gave lots of fans a real reason to not like Rex. I'm one of those homers who pretty much support any former cat, from Daniel Norton to Sam Bowie to Chris Gettlefinger. What Rex did really makes me rethink that, at least as far as he goes.
      Carolinawildcats -
      Has Rex gone into hiding? I have not seen a response from him since his initial text.

Peace

Richard (CW)
      UKHistory -
      He has laughed off quite a bit of the stuff. Rex's behavior pre and post tweet demonstrates his feeling towards Kentucky fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinawildcats View Post
      Has Rex gone into hiding? I have not seen a response from him since his initial text.

Peace

Richard (CW)
      Locusthillcat -
      Looks like he's tweeted most of the night and is very unapologetic. "People just but hurt after a loss" per Chapman. I'm done with him.
      bigsky -
      Lotta guys on twitter lining up to, well, er, at the bar I'd put it differently, eh, well, um, how should I say? be overly obsequious to Rex. So he's oblivious.
      badrose -
      There are those who are incapable of empathizing. There's a name for it. Rex may be one of them.
      anderwt -
      It sounds crazy, but he made it almost impossible for me to get re-excited about the National Championship game last night..He knocked the wind out my sails pretty hard. Its pissed me off to no end. It shouldn't have me this wound up, but it does....damn you rex
      bigsky -
      Quote Originally Posted by anderwt View Post
      It sounds crazy, but he made it almost impossible for me to get re-excited about the National Championship game last night..He knocked the wind out my sails pretty hard. Its pissed me off to no end. It shouldn't have me this wound up, but it does....damn you rex
      lots of people in that boat with you
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by Locusthillcat View Post
      Looks like he's tweeted most of the night and is very unapologetic. "People just but hurt after a loss" per Chapman. I'm done with him.
      There are only two former Cats I don't particularly care to have associated with the program. Rex is # 1 without serious competition. I hope the folks kissing his a$$ after Saturday night step back and take a real look. Mike Pratt is not without fault, but Chapman can't hold a candle to him.
      UKHistory -
      Ander many people feel the same way. It was like a horrible omen prior to the game. It left many of us unsettled. The message and the messenger.

By appearing on UK's broadcast Saturday Rex was also kind of an official spokesperson for UK. Throw in he is a former player and this the disappointment we get.
      WoodstockCat -
      Quote Originally Posted by MickintheHam View Post
      There are only two former Cats I don't particularly care to have associated with the program. Rex is # 1 without serious competition. I hope the folks kissing his a$$ after Saturday night step back and take a real look. Mike Pratt is not without fault, but Chapman can't hold a candle to him.
      Last night has certainly made me take another look.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockCat View Post
      Last night has certainly made me take another look.
      The guy is trouble.
      jazyd -
      I never have really like him, last night finished it. And while texting during the game with a friend who asked about the rumor I responded how I felt about Rex. His response back was Rex told Kennt Payne to not come to UK. I know KP was ours until Joe B retired unexpectedly...Kenny really likes Joe...and sutton made a late pitch that went nowhere but I didn't know about Rex until last night.

Rex needs to be banned at all things UK and Cal needs to tell WWW to stay clear of Rex
      ETWNAPPEL -
      I am done with him. Last night removes all benefit of doubt. There is no doubt left.
      Darryl -
      Skip, do you remember when "King Rex" went on ESPN (Dan Patrick IIRC) and told the nation how racist the UK administration was when he was in school dating an African American girl? The national media just LOVED that...a former UK star reinforcing the widely held belief we are the most racist University in the land.

I said it in 1987 after he practically apologized to UL when we beat them by 35 at Freedom Hall...the Hell with him.

Darryl
      Carolinawildcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      Skip, do you remember when "King Rex" went on ESPN (Dan Patrick IIRC) and told the nation how racist the UK administration was when he was in school dating an African American girl? The national media just LOVED that...a former UK star reinforcing the widely held belief we are the most racist University in the land.

I said it in 1987 after he practically apologized to UL when we beat them by 35 at Freedom Hall...the Hell with him.

Darryl
      Remember this BS all too well ! Rex found is way back in to may UK fans hearts recently. He is now finding a way to exist those same hearts that gave him a second chance!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      anderwt -
      He just went on the DPSHOW and said he thinks Cal is staying at UK...My hatred has grown
  • KSR Twitter Feed