Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Cats not ready for NBA question yet

By LARRY VAUGHT

ARLINGTON — Kentucky’s players were still trying to come to grips when their 60-54 loss to Connecticut in Monday’s national championship game when they started getting the question — would they be back at UK or head to the NBA.

“I don’t even know. I am not thinking about that right now. I am just thinking about this game,” said freshman center Dakari Johnson.

Next he got asked if that meant it was too early to say he would definitely be back at UK.

“I don’t know. I am still trying to deal with this loss,” Johnson said.

That’s basically what twins Aaron and Andrew Harrison said except they added they would have to discuss it with their family. Ditto for James Young. Julius Randle, considered the player that would be drafted the highest, dodged the question, too, as he softly answered question while trying to handle the disappointment of Monday’s loss.

Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein, who was injured and did not play the last three tourney games, had more to say than his teammates about what the future might hold.

“I have no idea. I haven’t thought about it like that,” Cauley-Stein said when asked what it was like to be together with so many teammates for the final time. “I am just tring to relish the moment with my brothers and see what some of them are doing. That is kind of how I based my decision last year (to come back to UK rather than going to the NBA.)

Two NBA scouts at the Final Four said Cauley-Stein was UK’s most intriguing prospect after Randle. His size and athleticism have scouts contemplating what his potential could be once he fully commits to improving his offensive game. Both said his injury — Cauley-Stein said after the game he had a “cracked bone, stress fracture” in his ankle — would not be an issue unless it was more severe than it appeared.

“I can see coming back. I feel this emptiness in me like I've still got something to prove and I've still got so much stuff to work on in my game,” he said. “I went up from last year and now I want to make another jump in my game. Could I come back to school and make that step and be safe or do I make the jump to the league and mess everything up? What if I go there and don’t do what I thought and I’m stuck and can’t come back to school?

“I love school. I love being at Kentucky. I love the fan base. I love the community. So why not stay until they make you leave? IYou just get better as you get older. There are so many things that go through my head.”

That would be what he called “millions of dollars” and being able to work only on his game without balancing school, which he called a full-time job.

“That kind of weighs in. My family weighs in. I will talk to my family and coaches and then decide what is best for my future and my game and if I could be happy either way.”

Kentucky coach John Calipari does not discourage players from leaving if he feels they are ready to make the jump. The question becomes how many of these players are truly ready — and NBA scouts warn that what happens in March won’t wipe out a season’s worth of observations.

“Well, I'll sit down with each young man individually, probably have their family either with us or on a speaker phone and get them information and say, ‘If I can help you with anything, let me know. Tell me what you want to do, what do I need to do to help you?’ Calipari said after Monday’s loss.

“I kind of stay out of the decision making. I just get them information. So we'll see. I have no idea because I haven't talked to them and none of us have talked about that. We were playing to win the national championship. But now that the season's over, it is about the players. It's no longer about the program. It's no longer about the team.

“It's about each individual player on this team now. They sacrificed. They surrendered to each other now, for our team and our program and our school. Season's over. Now it's about them. And we'll sit down with each of them and they will make decisions for themselves.”
    Comments 12 Comments
      Carolinawildcats -
      There is one that is actually NBA "ready" and that's only because of his "Body"....Randle. It's going to take him a few years to mature into the league. The rest of these guys are not ready physically, and their skill sets are just not there yet. That is not just my opinion, but the NBA of the 1 NBA scout that I talk to frequently. I really hope they do the right thing!

Peace

Richard (CW)
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      If WCS gets a 1st round or even late lottery projection, he should go. With Dakari, Towns, and Lee, minutes may be hard to come by. If Young is projected late 1st round , he should come back. He could play his way into the lottery as a soph. The Harrison's need to come back. Neither one would last past their first contract as of now and I'm not sure either one would have a 1st round guaranteed deal. Randle needs more polishing but he's physically ready and should go so that he can earn big and take care of his Mom.

That's how I see it. Guess we'll see how it turns out.
      KeithKSR -
      WCS could make money by returning and working himself into a high lottery selection. Randle can't improve his draft stock much more, looks like a top 5 selection. Young could return and work his way up into the lottery and land with a team in need of his talents.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by KeithKSR View Post
      WCS could make money by returning and working himself into a high lottery selection. Randle can't improve his draft stock much more, looks like a top 5 selection. Young could return and work his way up into the lottery and land with a team in need of his talents.
      WCS will have to fight for minutes if he returns. He lost some minutes to Dakari as the season went on this year. Towns will get minutes. Playing time will be harder to come by.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      I could see us going huge if WCS came back with ability to guard several positions.
      Thedonnie123 -
      Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWildcat View Post
      I could see us going huge if WCS came back with ability to guard several positions.
      Can you imagine this lineup?

1 Harrison
      2 Harrison
      3 WCS
      4 Townes
      5 D. Johnson

Good luck getting a rebound.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Thedonnie123 View Post
      Can you imagine this lineup?

1 Harrison
      2 Harrison
      3 WCS
      4 Townes
      5 D. Johnson

Good luck getting a rebound.
      Well I was thinking Lyles but hey I won't complain. Lot of interesting combinations next year if WCS returns. With his defensive versatility and Towns offensive versatility it could be fun. Selfishly I hope to see it.
      kingcat -
      If Young were to return, he would be the dominant Cat and potentially the best player in the country. That's even if Parker returns.

Young could be a college super star
      bigsky -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      If Young were to return, he would be the dominant Cat and potentially the best player in the country. That's even if Parker returns. Young could be a college super star
      if he puts in the summer work
      catmanjack -
      Willie is never getting drafted for his offense so him staying 3 or 4
      years would not hurt his draft position.
      I think he will always be in the 12-20 range.
      So in my mind he should enjoy his time and
      come back.
      Bakert -
      Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKERCATFAN View Post
      WCS will have to fight for minutes if he returns. He lost some minutes to Dakari as the season went on this year. Towns will get minutes. Playing time will be harder to come by.
      Does anyone else find it interesting that WCS may have to leave for the NBA due to the possibility of lack of playing time at UK next year?
      catmanjack -
      Stated the when he lost his starting spot this year.
      Stein is very up and down and just not very consistent.
  • KSR Twitter Feed