Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Changing the Culture is the Theme of the Day

By: LONNY DEMAREE

How do you go about changing the culture of a program that hasn't the feel of a big time program since the fifties? Mark Stoops and staff have that awesome task to accomplish but they bring with them the attitude of winning. They have to recruit athletes that walk like a winner across campus, when you talk like winners, and when you win. To do that you've got to have players good enough to win and this staff has taken huge steps in that direction. Athletes that know what winning is all about and are hungry to keep winning in their athletic life

Coach Mark Stoops was asked to compare the temperature around this building (Nutter Practice Facility) right now to last year. "I feel good where we are right now," the coach said. "A lot more energy, a lot more confidence. We've worked hard in the off season developing some leadership and some comraderie." While interviewing Stoops - "You hear them coming into the building right now" as they were whooping it up.

We addressed the benefit of early enrollment something the BBN hasn't seen much of before especially of this magnitude - five freshmen and two juco's. Stoops said it helps in getting to play early - having a spring practice under your belt - and being that much ahead going into the off summer.

Coach Chad Scott has the deepest and most talented group of running backs that's been at UK since the eighties. "I've got a stable," with a sly smile on his face Scott said. "I've got a lot of talent." He especially mentioned the home run threat of Nebraska transfer Braylon Heard. Scott said - "Raw speed. He still has some things to work on to be that home run hitter but he has that break away speed something we didn't have last year. He has the speed to score from anywhere on the field."

Scott too was asked about the football culture just from his playing days at UK to now around the program and how it is different? "Oh, it's changed tremendously," Scott said. "These guys are breathing football right now. They're here all the time. Even over the course of the last couple of month's or so it's amazing how many guy have been in and out of the building studying football, studying tape, and that's something we haven't seen even last year. They're talking about it; they're calling us late at night asking about certain plays; they go home and they wonder why we haven't call them about certain things; they want to be around. We even got guys that go home for a break and come back early. We've had that happen several times. We really feeling like we can come here and be successful at Kentucky."
    Comments 8 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      In case Terry missed this one! Lonny is bringing it!
      ShoesSwayedBlue -
      I think Jojo will be a step or two faster as well with his knee being cleaned up this winter. Add in Heard, Williams and Demetrious Davis and UK will have several guys who can break off a fifty yarder in a hiccup.
      suncat05 -
      As a lifelong fan, I like what I am seeing, love what CMS & staff are doing. And it will be even better when we finally start winning.
      Darrell KSR -
      Definitely a process, Suncat. You're right, when UK finally starts winning, it is going to be unbelievable. Get some winning under the belt, continue recruiting at this high level, and the sky is the limit.
      suncat05 -
      Agreed, Darrell. Patience is the key, and I honestly believe our almost never-ending patience will finally be rewarded.

I swear, Darrell, Kentucky football fans have to be the most understanding, patient, and sometimes stoic, along with being some of the longest suffering fans to ever exist. At least that is how it seems, anyway.
      CGWildcat -
      VERY excited for this coming Fall!
      Jimcats -
      Quote Originally Posted by suncat05 View Post
      Agreed, Darrell. Patience is the key, and I honestly believe our almost never-ending patience will finally be rewarded.

I swear, Darrell, Kentucky football fans have to be the most understanding, patient, and sometimes stoic, along with being some of the longest suffering fans to ever exist. At least that is how it seems, anyway.
      As Job said, "How long, oh Lord?" My problem is that I've got so many years under my belt that I'm not sure I can wait long enough. I do have the luxury of remembering the days of those great Bryant teams, the late '70's and Roger Bird, Mumme's fun teams, etc., but I'd like some more. And with the SEC network coming on, having some more fine teams will be more fun than ever.

I've been neither understanding, patient nor stoic I fear. I sometimes feel that our devout faithfulness, come hell or high water works against us. UK admin has known over the years that we'd stay supportive regardless of the quality of our program. They haven't insisted on fielding a winner over the years. I support our new staff, but would a Florida, Bama, etc. go out and hire an assistant with no history of head coaching?

We have perhaps our best recruiting class of the last 60+ years! yet it comes in at 11th or 12th in our conference. Not complaining, just pointing out how it's been. However, in all my years of following UK ball, I don't recall a time when the university and state brass seemed as committed to football as they do right now.

I do believe we're on the right track; I don't believe we're going to see immediate significant change. "Patience" may really be the key word for now.
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimcats View Post
      As Job said, "How long, oh Lord?" My problem is that I've got so many years under my belt that I'm not sure I can wait long enough. I do have the luxury of remembering the days of those great Bryant teams, the late '70's and Roger Bird, Mumme's fun teams, etc., but I'd like some more. And with the SEC network coming on, having some more fine teams will be more fun than ever.

I've been neither understanding, patient nor stoic I fear. I sometimes feel that our devout faithfulness, come hell or high water works against us. UK admin has known over the years that we'd stay supportive regardless of the quality of our program. They haven't insisted on fielding a winner over the years. I support our new staff, but would a Florida, Bama, etc. go out and hire an assistant with no history of head coaching? .
      Florida did just that with their last football hire. Muschamp was a career assistant. Bama may have done that with Mike Shula. Not sure if he had been more than a coordinator.

Your point is well taken. Bama rectified their situation and Florida may have to after next season.
  • KSR Twitter Feed