Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Early Impressions of the Deepest Position on the Team

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Josh Clemons

Given the numbers and the perceived talent among the numbers you would have to say that the running back position is the deepest and of potentially great quality. This group of Mikel Horton, Jojo Kemp, Braylon Heard, Josh Clemons, and with Stanley “Boom” Williams coming in the fall, it rivals the group of the mid to late eighties. That mid eighties group was George Adams eight years in the NFL, Mark Higgs eight years in the NFL, Marc Logan twelve years in the NFL, and Ivy Joe Hunter three years in the NFL. Bringing up the rear of the late eighties was Al Baker and Alfred Rawls both very quality SEC backs. Kentucky has had a running back of this quality on sporadic occasions but except for the eighties, never a stable like the one they have now. As insufficient as the offense of UK has been over the last two seasons the backs ran the football effectively. Here is what you thought you knew about UK’s stable of backs.

Braylon Heard

Running backs Chad Scott said Heard is a home run hitter that can score from anywhere on the football field. It’s commonly thought what brought the Nebraska transfer to the Wildcats was the Youngstown, Ohio connection. “Everybody thinks I came to UK because that’s where I’m from and Coach (Mark) Stoops and coach (Vince) Marrow,” Heard corrected. “I didn’t come because of the connection but I did my research and compared other schools. I thought this was a great opportunity for me. It didn’t hurt that they were here.” From the eye-popping look of the sleeveless Heard future back prospects can’t help but take a look at what Performance Team leader Erik Korem and nutritionist Monica Fowler are doing for these players.

Mikel Horton

Scott said he would like Horton to run more North/South rather than East/West. That is the problem with all backs coming out of high school. They have to learn that they can’t turn the corner on SEC defenses. “He’s so skilled at so many things but we want him to be best a running the ball North and South,” The coach said. “He has the skill set of a smaller back but we want him to run the ball north and south. Then also do all of the other things like catching the ball out the backfield.” Horton 6-foot-1, 236-pounds is a George Adams look alike.

Josh Clemons

Clemons has been through a lot injury-wise since his arrival at UK. He still holds the Commonwealth Stadium record for the longest run of 87-yards by a freshman back. He sounded elated to be back out there on the field and one-hundred percent healthy. “It helped being in this offense already for a year,” Clemons said. “Things just clicked out there for the first day.” Scott with his stable the competition is intense. Clemons said he welcomes the competition. “That’s what you come to UK for,” Clemons said. “I’m a fighter.”

Jojo Kemp

He had some off season surgery to clean up some things in his ankle and now he is ready to go. “I’m ready for my sophomore season” Kemp said. He is another running back that looks to be a strong benefactor of the strength and conditioning as well as the nutrition guidance from Monica Fowler.
    What I didn’t know. Chad said he didn’t have a homerun hitter on the squad last season was a surprise to this writer. He’s talking a running back that could score from anywhere on the field.
    Comments 4 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Yessir! Good stuff, Lonny.

Bringing that football strength.
      Terry Blue -
      We need this football talk, second spring practice today
      dan_bgblue -
      Nicely done. I look forward to some eyewitness reports of the early practices. Lonny, I hope you can sneak into viewing distance during the closed practices
      Padukacat -
      Thanks lonny
  • KSR Twitter Feed