Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Pitino and Calipari insist they are friends

INDIANAPOLIS — Ask almost anyone in Kentucky and they’ll agree that coaches John Calipari of Kentucky and Rick Pitino of Louisville are not friend and don’t get along well.

However, both coaches did their best to refute that perception here Thursday as their teams get set to meet in the NCAA Midwest Region semifinals Friday night. Both are on eight-game NCAA win streaks — Kentucky with six from its 2012 championship season and two this year and Louisville six from last year’s title season and two this year. Louisville’s last tourney loss was to UK in the 2012 Final Four.

“I don't care about perception because perception is not reality. We're friends. We respect each other's programs very much and we're friends in this business,” said Pitino.

“And I certainly have great respect for what they're accomplishing right now. But it really doesn't matter what perception is because perception is not reality in this world.”

Calipari said they were “friends” also and keep in “touch throughout the year back and forth” with each other, which probably surprises both UK and Louisville fans.

“He'd throw something at me, I'd throw something at him. Different things about our teams,” Calipari said. But, one, we're getting older, both of us, and I think I'm not on his mind and he's not on my mind, so to speak. We all got tough jobs, what we're doing.

“I know that he's a great coach. He's done it at different programs. His kids play with great energy and they play with confidence, and it's every year. And so the stuff about they're at each other's throats, it's just not accurate. I'd be stunned if he thinks of me in a week, like my ... both of us have tough jobs that we have to be engulfed in what we do.”

Pitino agreed coaching at rival schools could impact their relationship.

“I think it hurts a little bit because you all (in the media) bait and try to get certain answers out of us. And if John says, ‘I like a certain thing,’ some people think he's taking a shot at me, vice versa. It's not that we've talked about it together about that. He's the total opposite with me with social media. And I know he believes in it and he knows I don't believe in it. So we're not taking sides on that. (Michigan State coach) Tom Izzo doesn't believe in it, maybe somebody else does.

“We understand what takes place between the lines. We understand the fans' intensity, but we don't personalize our battles. We understand what it's all about. The best team's going to win.”

Pitino told again how he first met Calipari when the current UK coach was a teenager at the Five-Star Camp and Pitino was a camp coach. He then defended the year Calipari has had (26-10) with a team that starts five freshmen.

“Two weeks ago I was asked by the Louisville media what do I think of the rumors of John going back to the pros. I said why would you say something like that? Because they lost a game,” Pitino said. “He's one of the premier coaches in our game. Has always been. The thing that I remember most about John, because I've known him since he was 15, is he always didn't have one‑and‑dones. He had a team at Massachusetts, and I knew where he took them.

“And he had the least amount of talent on the court when he went out there. And he didn't play an easy schedule. He had to take a lot of people on to get Massachusetts in the limelight. I've seen all stages of John's career.

“And so it doesn't surprise me that they're playing well at this time. It was a great game the other night by both teams.

I know how good Wichita (State) is. Now they're a much better offensive time this year than last year, much better defensive team. Wichita is a great basketball team. Kentucky beat a great basketball team (to advance).”

Because Pitino coached at Kentucky — and won a national title — before coming to Louisville and winning another title, he knows the significance this game has for the state.

“We've gotten used to the noise, so we don't ... we understand what's at stake,” Pitino said. “I've said it many times. I've been in the state 20 years, and the game to me has really only had difficult consequences for the loser twice. Once was two years ago when they stopped our run in the Final Four, and the next game we play (here).”
    Comments 28 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      Hehehe
      dtalbersjr -
      If true, I think a lot less of Cal.

So I choose to believe it's not true.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by dtalbersjr View Post

Why? Because Cal is a bigger person than 95% (could be low figure) of the UK fan base. I don't hate anyone, it's against my nature. For me it is the UL fan base that gets under my skin and many are good friends. I enjoyed Pitino speaking at Mr. Bill's funeral, I thought he was truthful and sincere. Interesting how Tubby couldn't make it and a hated coach shows up for Mr. Bill, a man he respected and I believe loved. Now do I respect him as a person, not really, I know to much about him, things I wouldn't put on this board, it's his life,that's how I look at it. He is simply a great coach and because of Cal IMO he is showing it again. I think before Cal he was coasting somewhat. I really don't dislike UL players, they seem to get along fine with UK players, I see each team helping the other player up off the floor. Now to put it in simple words, because of the UL fan base I enjoy when they lose, just like Duke, UNC and Indiana.
      Darryl -
      Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Why? Because Cal is a bigger person than 95% (could be low figure) of the UK fan base. I don't hate anyone, it's against my nature. For me it is the UL fan base that gets under my skin and many are good friends. I enjoyed Pitino speaking at Mr. Bill's funeral, I thought he was truthful and sincere. Interesting how Tubby couldn't make it and a hated coach shows up for Mr. Bill, a man he respected and I believe loved. Now do I respect him as a person, not really, I know to much about him, things I wouldn't put on this board, it's his life,that's how I look at it. He is simply a great coach and because of Cal IMO he is showing it again. I think before Cal he was coasting somewhat. I really don't dislike UL players, they seem to get along fine with UK players, I see each team helping the other player up off the floor. Now to put it in simple words, because of the UL fan base I enjoy when they lose, just like Duke, UNC and Indiana.
      Very similar to my thoughts.

Darryl
      badrose -
      Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post

Darryl
      Mine too.
      cattails -
      Very similar to my thoughts. And badrose.

Darryl
      Wow!! I'm not alone!!
      catmanjack -
      Rick just stated less then two weeks ago that they were not friends or friendly and I believe tha was during the lyles comments about OAD, could be wrong about the timing.
      kingcat -

Hehe!

I will say this. It's a wise decision to downplay the animosity thing by both coaches. There's bigger fish to fry for both.

Notice that UNC and Duke are sitting at home while our rivalry, one which includes the two champions from the last two seasons, is about to take center stage.
      Three or four years ago that would have been unheard of and taboo for the national media to contemplate. Now, by virtue of what the State of Kentucky is doing in basketball...and yes, U of L is a huge part of that, it's time to take the national media to task.

Downplay all their negative talking points, and make it about the game and not the rabid, uncultivated, and unruly fanbase or childish coaching staffs. In the long run it (the two programs respective success) benefits each of us and breaks a barrier which has gone unchallenged for many many years.

Hopefully the media will begin to have a hard time trying to divide and conquer with their commentary, and will instead question, what of the mighty ACC's kings??

I actually hope U of L beats up on Duke and UNC in the ACC
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      I have no problem with the coaches being "friends". I can't stand Pitino but I thought he was a prick at UK. He's the biggest reason I despise UL. I could actually root for UL when Denny coached. Denny Crum is a good man.
      Krank -
      Love and agree with your regional points, king, but must add ONE crucial point, which is that UL gets WAY more out of the rivalry than does UK. Otherwise, spot on. The heart of basketball history runs along the Ohio River, which just happens to touch the Commonwealth of Kentucky more than any other state. Tobacco Road? Second place forever.
      catmanjack -
      With that roster next year UL wont beat up on anyone!
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
      Love and agree with your regional points, king, but must add ONE crucial point, which is that UL gets WAY more out of the rivalry than does UK. Otherwise, spot on. The heart of basketball history runs along the Ohio River, which just happens to touch the Commonwealth of Kentucky more than any other state. Tobacco Road? Second place forever.
      I agree Krank, but you know what? They have nipped at our heels for nearly a hundred years, and have played the role of UK's little brother with angst as motivation for all that time.
      It's not going to change.

It's a power program whether we acknowledge it or not.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      I agree Krank, but you know what? They have nipped at our heels for nearly a hundred years, and have played the role of UK's little brother with angst as motivation for all that time.
      It's not going to change.

It's a power program whether we acknowledge it or not.
      Oh I agree with that. I never denigrate their program believe it or not, in terms of historical merit.

I just don't like Pitino... or how BOTH the local and national media shove the UK/UL game down our ever-lovin' throats.
      kingcat -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krank View Post
      Oh I agree with that. I never denigrate their program believe it or not, in terms of historical merit.

I just don't like Pitino... or how BOTH the local and national media shove the UK/UL game down our ever-lovin' throats.
      Yeah.

But under Cal we have really enjoyed chewing them up and spitting the mutilated, charred carcass back at them haven't we?

Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by kingcat View Post
      Yeah.

But under Cal we have really enjoyed chewing them up and spitting the mutilated, charred carcass back at them haven't we?

Indeed. More to come tomorrow night!
      Kacat -
      Yea it's nice we all get along and all the other liberal crap. Sorry but I still HATE UL.
      GhettoBird -

Darryl
      Mine to. Pitino talking at Mr. Bills funeral changed my thoughts on him, and brought the good memories he and his teams provided me as a college student. Now ethically I agree with nothing he does, but beneath all those layers I believe he loved Mr Bill dearly, and regrets everyday that he left UK. Jmo.
      GhettoBird -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      Yea it's nice we all get along and all the other liberal crap. Sorry but I still HATE UL.
      I Aldo echo this setiment. I loathe their fans. Interesting some of the players they have had recently are really like able.
      CitizenBBN -

Don't worry it's not true. Bill Keightley acted like he liked Pitino too. So have a lot of other people. They absolutely don't like each other and haven't pretty much since Rick tried to take credit for Cal's UMass hiring and success.
      KSRBEvans -
      John Calipari and Rick Pitino are not friends. Those who’d like to parse their mutual contempt in advance of Saturday’s Final Four matchup between Louisville and Kentucky should consult S.L. Price’s indispensible 2011 Sports Illustrated profile of Calipari. According to Price, Pitino has long claimed that he kickstarted his rival’s career, recommending him for the head coaching job at UMass (Pitino is an alum) and writing a $5,000 check so the school could afford Calipari’s salary. Others say that version of events is a “myth,” and Paul Evans—Calipari’s boss at the University of Pittsburgh—tells SI that Pitino brought up a pernicious rumor at a 1986 Big East coaches meeting: that Calipari told recruits that St. John’s coach Lou Carnesecca was deathly ill with cancer. (Carnesecca was not sick, and Pitino now says he never believed the rumor.)

This brief passage from the SI piece distills their relationship today:

[W]hen first approached to talk about Calipari, Pitino says, "I really don't know him, so I'd prefer not to."

Asked why Pitino would say that, Calipari nearly chokes and says, "I would just tell you: I respect him, respect what he's done over his career." Then he yells in a voice thick with sarcasm, "And thank him for all the help he's given me over my career!"

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...root_for_.html

Almost every time I've gone on a radio show this week somebody has asked exactly where and when the Calipari-Pitino relationship turned south, and the truth is that it's impossible to identify because this is something that happened over time. There are lots of little stories but no really big ones.

They've just basically irritated each other to death for more than a decade.

"And I think it's more John than Rick," said one coach who considers both men friends. "John just likes to [bleep] with Rick. He loves it. He can't help himself."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...aripitino-fire

I tend to think both coaches want to play down the in-state rivalry and animus between the 2 because their players are under enough pressure already.
  • KSR Twitter Feed