Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Father hopes UK fans in Indy come watch Trey Lyles play Saturday night

By LARRY VAUGHT

The way Tom Lyles sees it, destiny brought Kentucky to Indianapolis to play in the NCAA Tournament the same weekend his son, Trey, will be playing for a state championship in downtown Indianapolis also.

“If you look at from day one to now, on day one everybody gave Kentucky a chance to win the national title and by day 45 nobody believed. With us, nobody believed on day one and day 45 everybody believes,” Tom Lyles said. “It was just meant for these two to align. You have got an 8 seed playing in the NCAA Sweet 16 and then you have Arsenal Tech going for a state championship, something that has not been done in 34 years right across the street from Lucas Oil Stadium. Not a car drive, but just a short walk. It was meant to line up that way. Now both programs have to get it done.”

Trey Lyles signed with Kentucky in November. The 6-10 Lyles is averaging 24 points, 12.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 2.4 blocked shots per game going into Saturday night’s 4A title game at Bankers LIfe Fieldhouse against Lake Central, a team Tech beat by 19 points in  January. He’s made 209 of 353 shots, a 59 percent mark, and is 208 of 281, 74 percent, at the foul line. He’s even hit 22 3-pointers.

Central (22-3) has 6-7 Butler recruit Tyler Wideman (15.7 points, 7.1 rebounds) and 6-5 senior Tyler Ross (8.8 points, 5.5 rebounds). Senior Tye Wilburn (12.3 points, 4.5 assists) ranks as one of state’s best point guards and senior Matt Meneghetti is a 44 percent shooter from 3 for Lake Central.

“We know it is going to be a great game. We are doing our best to prepared. We have to be ready to show up and win, not just show up and play,” Tom Lyles said.

Tom Lyles, a Tech assistant coach, says playing in the same arena where the Indiana Pacers play — and beat Miami Wednesday — doesn’t matter as much to his son and his teammates as a chance to win a state title.

“In four years with the talent we’ve had, we’ve only been here once. They know the struggle to get here,” Tom Lyles said.

That’s why Trey Lyles won’t be at Friday’s UK-Louisville game — and remember he picked UK over Louisville.

“We would love to go, but we will be focused on what we have to do Saturday,” Tom Lyles sad. “I am not saying Kentucky winning is not important to us because it is, but we want that state championship. But we certainly will be watching the game.”

Tickets remain for Saturday’s state title game and Tom Lyles is counting on UK fans in Indianapolis this weekend to be at the game.

“It would be great for UK fans to see us and I will be disappointed in anything less,” Tom Lyles said. “This is one of their own who will be suiting up in a few months in the blue and white to represent them.”
    Comments 7 Comments
      blueboss -
      Well, they will now...Spread the news to those who are going to Indy
      Krank -
      Tech is set to tip for the title @ 8:15 pm for those who are in town. BL Fieldhouse is a nice venue for a game FWIW. Too bad it's happening smack in the middle of the two Elite Eight games, yet it's only 15 bucks per session, so if you don't care as much about missing the later E8 game, I say check it out.

I will be watching locally on the tube (Fox Sports Indiana, if you are in town), switching back and forth between high school and college. I love this time of year!
      GhettoBird -
      Hope we show up in force!
      CitizenBBN -
      Wonder if Cal could tweet something to get the word out. If fans knew I have no doubt many would turn out for that game. Heck we turn out at the SEC tourney 2 days early and watch the bottom 4 teams in the league play. With a UK kid playing they'll really turn out.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Wonder if Cal could tweet something to get the word out. If fans knew I have no doubt many would turn out for that game. Heck we turn out at the SEC tourney 2 days early and watch the bottom 4 teams in the league play. With a UK kid playing they'll really turn out.

Click the link below and, once there, click the "State Finals" line for a drop down of info:

http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/Bas...6/Default.aspx
      UKFlounder -
      It will depend at least somewhat on the result Friday night
      Edward100 -
      That would be something to see. The BBN descend on a high school game. I couldn’t imagine the effect that would have on him, his family, the school and the game. I hope it happens and would like to see some pictures of it on here.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post