Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with Mark Kennard on Calipari being classy

By LARRY VAUGHT

Before his son took an official visit to Duke, Mark Kennard was sure that he would either pick Kentucky or Ohio State to play his college basketball. Instead, Luke Kennard liked everything about his trip to Duke — it reminded him of the smalltown intimacy of Franklin, Ohio — and the 6-6 junior guard announced this week he would sign with Duke.

“He was adamant about where he wanted to do. He sent me a text at work even,” Mark Kennard said. “I asked him what about taking official visits to Kentucky and Ohio State just to make sure, but he said that would just be a waste of their time and unfair to them. I really liked John Calipari and Thad Matta, but Luke had to be selfish picking a school. It’s his life and he has to do what he likes.”

Still, Kennard was a player that seemed destined to play at Kentucky. There are numerous UK fans in Franklin. His parents are Kentucky fans. His grandfather has had UK basketball season tickets. He grew up a Kentucky fan and in his room there is a frame photo of him when he was young getting his shirt signed at a Kentucky game by players with him wearing a UK uniform.

“Duke is on a big stage, but he felt comfortable with the small town setting,” Mark Kennard said. “I was always a huge Kentucky fan. Luke was, too. Kentucky has great people and that’s what makes this tough.

“Those are tough calls to make to coaches at Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan and North Carolina. We actually waited three or four days to make sure what Luke wanted to do and then I wasn’t going to call those coaches right as they started NCAA play. I waited until they were through playing last weekend.

“Coach Cal was on a plane when (assistant) Orlando (Antigua) called me. They were great about it. I think they were disappointed, but they understood. It’s part of the business but it was tough on Jennifer (Luke’s mom), Luke and I because we had built relationships with these people.  Jennifer cried all day and had to leave the house when we were making the calls. The guys at Kentucky were great to us. They didn’t holler at us or cuss us when we told them. They were classy and understood. They were disappointed, but they wished Luke well. I really liked coach Cal, and our whole family did. That’s what made it tough.”

Local Kentucky fans were disappointed, too.

“Some UK fans were very happy for us, some probably hate us now,” Mark Kennard said. “But they all know Luke had to go where he felt most comfortable. I am proud of Luke for making a decision and knowing what he wants. He wants us to see him play, but I told him never to let that be a roadblock to where he went. The UK fans here who know him feel the same way even though I know how much they were all hoping he would go to Kentucky.”
    Comments 17 Comments
      GhettoBird -
      Do you suppose some of the losing coaches cussed at them? Interesting he made that statement. LV thanks for the follow up.
      GhettoBird -
      This confirms what I have thought. While Luke likely wanted to play at UK, but he wanted no part of the monster that Cal has created. It is much easier to play at Duke, and kudos to him for making the decision that is best for him. As cal says, UK is not for everyone.
      Terry Blue -
      Duke beat us out for a recruit, we don't need to make any excuses or somehow demean Kennard for choosing someone else. He chose them because of the small town atmosphere and probably smaller campus just like his Dad said, Geez. He didn't say anything about the monster Cal created, how do you dream something like that up. Duke is a top 5 program in the country also
      CatQuick -
      Another great interview Larry. Sounds like Luke has some great parents.
      GhettoBird -
      Quote Originally Posted by Terry Blue View Post
      Duke beat us out for a recruit, we don't need to make any excuses or somehow demean Kennard for choosing someone else. He chose them because of the small town atmosphere and probably smaller campus just like his Dad said, Geez. He didn't say anything about the monster Cal created, how do you dream something like that up. Duke is a top 5 program in the country also
      I was not trying to demean the young man in anyway. I was simply stating fact. It is much easier to play at Duke than it is as UK. Media darlings vs. what our kids went through this year. The kid has been to 5-6 games this year and saw it all up close and personal and he made the decision that was best for him. How did you take that as me demeaning him? IMO he did not want to play at UK for all that comes when you play here.
      catmanjack -
      Cal wanted Mathews, Cal got Mathews that ended it for Kennard.
      catmanjack -
      I don't think Duke beat UK either so I wouldn't try and spin that either.
      UKHistory -
      I am disappointed that UK was not the place that Kennard felt the most comfortable. That to me is a weakness, as good a job as Cal does.

I would like some guys of a high level that will stay 3 to 4 years and be good. Losing a player like Wiltjer for example is similar. On the good side we have been able to keep Alex and Willie 2 year. I hope at least one of them for three.

thanks for shaing Larry. No animosity and I do appreciate the fact that Kennard did not drag this out. Unlike Perry Ellis, though, Kennard is going to Duke. Can't root for him. No ill will of course but anybody that wants to play there is not someone I would need to talk much to.
      Padukacat -
      Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
      I was not trying to demean the young man in anyway. I was simply stating fact. It is much easier to play at Duke than it is as UK. Media darlings vs. what our kids went through this year. The kid has been to 5-6 games this year and saw it all up close and personal and he made the decision that was best for him. How did you take that as me demeaning him? IMO he did not want to play at UK for all that comes when you play here.
      You are 100% correct based on the tone of the interview.
      bigsky -
      Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBird View Post
      I read your comment, GB , exactly how you explained it here. I'm sure most of us did.

But I'm rooting for Duke to lose every game and therefore for him to have a miserable college basketball career. So I can't say " I'm wishing him the best".
      jazyd -
      Can I have grandpas tickets, he won't need them. ,kid is going where he wants, no ill will but like every year I hope they lose every game
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by bigsky View Post
      I read your comment, GB , exactly how you explained it here. I'm sure most of us did.

But I'm rooting for Duke to lose every game and therefore for him to have a miserable college basketball career. So I can't say " I'm wishing him the best".
      sky I wouldn't mind if he averaged 40+ a game and lost every game, just can't pull for Duke.
      Genuine Realist -
      People make all sorts of choices for all sorts of reasons. De nada.
      ukpumacat -
      As I said before he chose Duke…Duke was simply the better choice for him. Their style of play really fit his game better.
      Edward100 -
      The decision has been made and all have to live with it. If he feels comfortable being inside the box rather than out, he has to do what he feels is best. We have “Missed” on several players in the past and found they made the right choice for them and Kentucky. Only time will tell if he made the right decision.
      Rock Hard Ten -
      I compare the nature of the Kennard recruitment and likely outcome of his college career to Perry Ellis……great kid….great 3-4 year player….part of an 8 man rotation……not a 1st Round NBA draft pick

Need these kind of players……but there are others out there……not a recruitment to anguish over any longer

As for the subject of the post - Cal is the epitome of class on a personal basis…..Ander's recent anecdote is one more testimony to this notion
      TRUCKERCATFAN -
      Maybe he is a Dukes Of Hazzard fan and just wants to be called Luke Duke.
  • KSR Twitter Feed

• Recent Forum Posts

Harlow

Re: Oakland v UK hall of fame

See ya next guys with a new coach

Harlow 03-22-2024, 08:36 AM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

I'll grade the first point. I wonder who had Oakland winning?

I kid, kid. Since I made the post, I guess the least I can do is go ahead and

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 09:18 PM Go to last post
    DanISSELisdaman

UK by 19
    Reeves 26
    41%

DanISSELisdaman 03-21-2024, 06:25 PM Go to last post
    Harlow

No problem buddy

Harlow 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM Go to last post
    Darrell KSR

Thanks, Harlow--I corrected it to 22. No idea, of course, and watch 18 be the right answer lol. Anyway, I appreciate the heads up.

Darrell KSR 03-21-2024, 04:30 PM Go to last post