Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Beating the Undefeated Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

Well, the NCAA Selection committee proved two things by the bracket this year: 1) They knew very little about the basketball that was played this season, and 2) they cared only about making match-ups made for tv. #2 has come true for them in the mid-west bracket and they must be jumping for joy when they saw UK vs. Wichita State in the third round with the chance for UK and Louisville in the Sweet Sixteen. I will never be convinced this was not the consideration, especially when you consider Duke being (they thought) the Elite Eight opponent. Although, that one didn't really work out. This will be a huge test for UK, but as I have said since the bracket was revealed, I love UK's path to the Final Four. Teams that have played easy schedules during the season never bother me as much as teams who lost a lot of games but played a difficult schedule (like MSU). With that, let's get to the things to watch for:

*Punch back.....hard

I have a feeling Wichita is going to come out of this game much like they did their first game: on fire. They desperately want to prove everyone wrong who says they are only undefeated because of their cupcake schedule. I fully expect them to take the early lead and Calipari need an early timeout or two. However, here is where not playing someone the caliber of UK can hurt them because they may not be ready for UK to storm back. If UK withstands the initial punch and then punches back to take the lead or gets a decent lead, then we will see how good Wichita State really is, because they have not faced that situation this season from a good team. I think it will stun them that once they get the lead, they do not just continue to add to it, and if it turns into a slugfest, advantage UK. I do think Wichita is a really good team that has actually been hurt by their schedule, however, human nature suggests you just will not handle your first experience with a push back very well. I am looking for UK to have the lead at halftime.

*Make shots

The game was brutal against Kansas State on offense. It could be even more brutal today. Wichita State plays great defense and likes to rough up the opponent. While the latter isn't happening in this game, the former could cause UK to rely on hitting some open shots; and that has been a problem lately. UK has to be able to get open shots, from mid-range and from three, to go in throughout this game. If UK goes on a 6 or 7 minute drought again today, it will be their last game. They have to hit open shots and find ways to get some easy transition buckets whenever they can. I am looking for 45% or better from the field.

*Young gunner

The fact, in my humble opinion, is simple: James Young has to shoot well this game or he will shoot UK out of the game. This is not meant as a knock, just that he is the best scorer on the team. He can hit shots from anywhere but has been streaky at best this season. He also has the ultimate green light from Calipari. He was 3-13 in the first round and there cannot be many players at UK under Calipari that have as many double digit miss games as Young. The point is, he will get his shots. Having said that, he needs to be on today to beat this team. He has to be a factor because he IS such a dynamic scorer. He also feeds off of his offense, so him hitting shots will fire him up on defense. Some will say he just needs to not shoot as much, I disagree. He is a great scorer and has to be a factor: plain and simple.

That is all for today. This should be a great game. As always, go big blue.

For the record, my Final Four picks are UK, Iowa State, Florida and Creighton. Although, Niang being hurt I think will knock out my ISU pick. What were yours?
  • KSR Twitter Feed