Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• James Young not familiar with Wichita State players

By: LARRY VAUGHT

ST. LOUIS — Perhaps nothing says more about the Kentucky-Wichita State matchup than UK freshman James Young admitting he could not name one player on Wichita State.

Not one player off a team that went to the Final Four last year. Not one player off the nation’s only unbeaten team. Not one player on the Midwest Region’s No. 1 team. He didn’t even know that Andrew Wiggins’ brother, Nick, played there after playing with and against Andrew Wiggins in all-star games last year when Wiggins was also being recruited at UK.

“I’ve seen clips of them every now and then on ESPN, but it feels like just another game that we just have to keep playing,” said Young.

But he doesn’t know even one Wichita State player?

“I have not really heard of anybody,” Young said.

Obviously, CBS-TV has a different approach to Sunday’s Kentucky-Wichita State game here. That’s why it is the marquee game in CBS’ Sunday schedule and will tip off about 2:45 p.m. EST. The network understands the drama of having the nation’s only unbeaten team going against a historic program like Kentucky that came into the season No. 1 and was projected by some as possibly going unbeaten.

Now UK goes into the game as an underdog because it has already lost 10 games this season.

“We have a chip on our shoulder. We are the underdogs right now. We use that as motivation and know we have to come in the game and fight,” Kentucky freshman guard Andrew Harrison said.

Harrison is no more used to being an underdog than Kentucky fans are.

“No, not really. That’s not how it has been for me. But it is making me become a better man to be honest. Just have to come every game to fight no matter what the outcome is. You just have to fight out there on the court and show that even though you are the underdog, you can still win,” Harrison said. “We want to show we are a great team, play together and love each other. This is a chance to do that.”

Maybe. But it’s also a chance for a veteran, relatively unknown Wichita State team to make a case for experience over highly-publicized talent as it did on its Final Four march last year or as Mercer did when it stunned Duke in this year’s NCAA.

Calipari can related to Wichita State. Remember he took UMass and Memphis both to the Final Four when his teams were not household names and had to beat bigger, more established name teams. He knows how dangerous Wichita State’s lack of notoriety can be and how that can motivate a team.

“I have been in a few of those. I only got a BCS job five years ago. I was at UMass and Memphis trying to take on the big dogs. So you have a chip on your shoulder,” Calipari said. “It's us against the world and no one thinks we're going to do this, and now you're going against Kentucky who had a good season, but not a great season. And, you know, I've been there. I've been on the other side. I haven't been on this side going against it.

“Believe me when I tell you folks, I had three or four teams start the season with 20 wins or more to start a season and I can't begin to tell you how much you try to push it off as nothing, and you say it's nothing. Oh, it's something.”

He marvels at the way Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall has made it a “blessing, not a burden” for the unbeaten Shockers.

“We had some teams who had a chance, 38‑2 a couple of teams and 35‑2. I mean we had a chance on a couple of different teams, but I'll tell you, I felt it as the head coach, which I knew my team had felt it,” Calipari said about the pressure of being unbeaten.

Marshall gets almost giddy talking about his unbeaten team.

“I think it is really fun. It has been a great season,” he said.

But he said his team’s only goal is to “get out of the weekend” and keep advancing by beating Kentucky.

Sophomore Alex Poythress thinks the Shockers, who will have a huge edge in fan support based on attendance Friday when they routed Cal Poly 64-37, will feel the pressure just as the Cats have many times during his two seasons.

“They have veteran players and a lot of talent,” Poythress, who had watched Wichita State play, said. “But the record doesn’t mean anything to us at this point. It’s going to be a big test for us and we’ll be pumped up to play. I feel like the target is on their back, not ours. They have all the pressure on them to keep winning every game. The pressure is off us.

“We just have to go play. We can show all those doubting us what we can do. I am sure there are plenty of doubters, but people doubt everybody. But we don’t doubt ourselves and we know we can do this.”
    Comments 16 Comments
      TNWildcat -
      I'm sure he will know a few after the game tomorrow, win or lose.
      Padukacat -
      Well I take my comment back about them not knowing randle...smh James young
      MTcatfan -
      Why would any player know another player of a team outside of his conference and not on his ooc schedule? I mean really they are busy going to school, practicing, and going over scouting reports of teams they actually play, so why would they know a Wichita State player.

Hell, I watch tons of college basketball and I don't know a single player off their team. I don't follow teams in their conference, regardless of wins/losses or being undefeated.
      Philly Cat -
      He's an idiot. Honestly, even if that's true, WHY would you give them bulletin board material? Just immaturity showing yet again.

And he SHOULD know them. They were in the Final Four last year, and they have had a great season. There's this little show called "SportsCenter" where you could pick up some of their names.
      truecatsfan -
      He will soon find out when he reads the name on the back of the jersey he is guarding.
      Crazy4Blue -
      I love LV but I wish that he wouldn't even write the ignorant comments of some of our guys make. That was a bulletin board comment from Young. What a dumb thing for him to say. If he feels that this is just another game then maybe he shouldn't even play.

Sorry for the rant
      Padukacat -
      He should know them, they are doing what we were supposed to do, 40-0 baby! Man college bball is these guys lives, I think James prob spends more time lookin at James....but I ain't hatin' let's shock the shockers! Whoever they are.
      Darrell KSR -
      Not the same, but it reminds me of DeMarcus' comment that "it wasn't a spelling bee" we were playing.
      MTcatfan -
      Man the vitriol towards Young for not knowing a player on Wichita is appalling to me. I would be more concerned about it if it were Creighton and McDermott as they have a superstar leading their team. Tell me who is the superstar that gets all the pub for Wichita? I don't know one. They are a damn good TEAM, but rarely do I see a focus consistently on one or two players. So I guess we will just have to agree to disagree big deal to some of you, not to me, who also still can't name one Wichita State player.
      Krank -
      Oh look. Somebody found a reason to put down another one of our 18 year old Wildcats. I hope James never hears the end of it. Then he can become a big fat loser and be in such a cool and hateful club. Hooray for fans who have ZERO life!
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Blue View Post
      I love LV but I wish that he wouldn't even write the ignorant comments of some of our guys make. That was a bulletin board comment from Young. What a dumb thing for him to say. If he feels that this is just another game then maybe he shouldn't even play.

Sorry for the rant
      I really don't know why you would say that? Before we hit the floor they will know names and who does what. There is no reason to know any of the players names before we play them and this IS just another game, just happens to be the next one. I am more concerned with what we do and the team should as well.
      bigsky -
      Yes it's too bad but I'd guess he answered the question, which is the meme of the tourney and why we are an 8 seed. This is the white hats vs the black hats and another chance to give Cal and UK their comeuppance.

He doesn't know the team. Why would he? Cal said Friday night he hadn't watched film on WSU. And the players are echoing the coach.

I don't know a single player on WSU either. So I'm tossing no rocks at the players.

And I deal with the press and public all the time; that's where the issue lies in this scenario. The meme is furthered by the question and gets the intended reaction from the predictable PT Barnum victims.
      CitizenBBN -
      The WSU coach didn't know Randle's first name or which twin was which, not sure why we'd expect a player to know much about a team not on their schedule.

It is potential bulletin board material, but IMO it's a false flag one. Other than Randle I bet most of their guys can't name our guys and I'm betting it's true of most players on most teams that aren't on their schedule.
      Darrell KSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      The WSU coach didn't know Randle's first name

James? Or Jamal?
      UKFlounder -
      Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell KSR View Post
      James? Or Jamal?
      UKHistory -
      It sounds bad. But Cal focuses on his own team's preparation as opposed to zealously scouting his opponent. And that philosophy worked pretty good in the 2010, 2011, and 2012 tournaments.
  • KSR Twitter Feed