Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: Kansas St Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

There has already been plenty of Madness this March so far and UK has yet to play a game. If there was ever a year for a high seed to win the NCAA Tournament, you have to believe it is this year. UK has plenty of momentum and it now is faced with a 6 game season. UK first plays Kansas State tonight in a battle of 8 and 9 seeds. Kansas State is a good team and UK will have its hands full tonight. With that, let's get to the things to watch for:

*Intensity

UK came out in the SEC Tournament and I thought played with an intensity on offense that we had not witnessed all year. Every drive was going to the basket. Every player seemed to drive through bumps and they were even hitting open shots for the most part. The team needs a good start offensively. When they start well offensively, it seems to feed everything else. We all wish they would just feed off of their defense, but that just isn't the case with this team and now is not the time for changes. This team has to start hot on offense in order to feed everything else. I am looking for UK to have the lead at the first TV timeout.

*Perimeter defense

I believe no team can beat UK inside now that they have had their "football pads practices" lately. I think the only way for a team to beat UK is to get their points from the free throw line and from the perimeter. UK has to lock up the perimeter tonight and force Kansas State to beat them inside and in the mid-range playing over the UK bigs. Kansas State is a meaty team and can cause problems inside, but I believe UK's bigs are better in every way. I also think if UK shuts down Foster, who shoots 40% from three and is their leading scorer, that UK will have an excellent shot at getting the win.

*Believe in the dream

Let's face it: No one thought UK would be an 8 seed this year. This team has a lot of talent but has not lived up to them yet. However, in the SEC tournament they won two games and lost to the #1 team in America by one point. They clearly can beat anyone when they play well. This team believed they could win the SEC Tournament. Now it is time for them to believe they can win the NCAA Tournament and go out and do it.

If you notice, I did not list much about Kansas State. The reason is if UK does what it needs to do, I think they will win.

That is all for tonight but hopefully not the season. I will see you again next game. As always, go big blue.
    Comments 2 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Great, thanks, Tyler!
      UKFlounder -
      Make shots. They look much better when they hitting a reasonable percentage. If they hit 30% again! hey are in trouble.

I know that's an oversimplification, but the shooting slump late in the season really hurt this team's record and seeding
  • KSR Twitter Feed