Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Dad Said Harrison Twins are Focused on the Present

By: LONNY DEMAREE

Mister Aaron Andrew Harrison lives in Richmond, Texas a Houston suburb and he is constantly in attendance at the UK basketball games cheering his son’s on. Over the last three days the elder Harrison can be heard by yours truly in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia.

For the Florida game the Mr. Harrison echoed the atmosphere seen and heard at little league and middle school games mostly in baseball. There’s a steady stream of exhortation of their child and constant berating of the officials coming from the stands. In the Florida game his positioning happened to be directly behind me shouting out instructions.

“Aaron bend your knees (on defense),” Mister Harrison shouted. “Andrew attack his middle (the hips) to turn the corner toward the basket.” Such was the instruction stream that I thought was sound direction.
    What does he think made this team start to play better in Atlanta? “Coach (Calipari) has kind of change his methods a little bit,” Mr. Harrison said, “which help them drastically.” He said that after the Florida game in Florida he came up and talked to his sons. “We had a real long talk. We worked out a little like we normally do and we had a talk about there being no pressure. You know at Kentucky they stay one year and go and our situation is a little different than most situations. They kind of grew up in an upper middle class and they don’t know financial responsibilities like other kids had to. So they don’t have that type of responsibility.”

We ask the elder Harrison about the mindset that has been established by Calipari and surrounds practically every recruit he brings into the program? And if they don’t presently fit into that mode like previously thought when they were recruited? What kind of effect mentally does that have on his kids? He said – “If you’ve met them about five or six time you would know that’s not the most important thing to them. To them it’s all about winning that day, in life.”

Harrison said prior to the Sunday Florida game “today it's all about winning.” And his steady stream of shouting exhortations coming from the stand said to anyone listening that if he could go and sat on the bench in a coaching capacity he would.

So having said all the aforementioned we assumed he was not about to say what would happen at the end of the season as far as the future of his son or sons? He said – “I can tell you exactly what’s going to happen. At the end of the year we’ll sit down and pray about it – if it is it is, if it ain’t it ain’t. That’s exactly what’ll happen.”

For the most part the twins have played more free and easy with the only mindset, in concert with the rest of the team, and that’s winning the game.
    Comments 8 Comments
      CitizenBBN -
      Thanks Lonny. Funny about him shouting instructions and berating refs. Sounds like every other fan I know.

I'm not worried about postseason decisions. They'll be responsible and mature and make the right one based on what they feel and find out from the NBA, and that's all that really matters. I THINK that means they return but if we sweep tot the title or the NBA sees something in them that lands them a good seed that's fine too. They won't go "no matter what" and end up trying to get on a NBDL roster as a late 2nd round pick, so they'll be fine.
      GhettoBird -
      Thanks for sharing. Obviously Cal stopping acting like a nut job the sidelines has helped. Do suppose he has been like that in practice this year?

He sounds like a great dad. Great that he came up to spend some time with his sons the way he did. It really made a difference for them in Atlanta.
      CatQuick -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      They won't go "no matter what" and end up trying to get on a NBDL roster as a late 2nd round pick, so they'll be fine.
      Even if we win the title they would still end up on D league roster. That's not dis-respect they aren't ready and I think they know and now can accept that.
      kingcat -
      They have really matured as young men. Perhaps more than any other players yet the added focus on point guard play and the super high expectation placed on them causes us to overlook that maturation process.
      catmanjack -
      The Harrisons along with Ulis and Booker will be nice
      and help build depth.
      catmanjack -
      Now can UK just get Young back to go with them and
      that team will be stacked.
      Kacat -
      On a side note every time I hear the word potential now I think of the Geico commercial with Pinocchio. I can see an agent pointing at every UK player including Polson and saying "I see in you great potential" all along his nose growing. Lots of guys with their own selfish interest in on these kids but the Harrison's have a strong mother and father to help them make the right decision. Either way these kids will go far. I've seen a lot of shots taken at these kids but when we lose it's always Andrew stepping up and saying that is on me. Lot of leadership for such an young player.
      jazyd -
      I would prefer he leave the coaching to the staff, they came in so fundamentally weak and still are in many ways
  • KSR Twitter Feed