Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Texas A&M coach Billy Kennedy on Julius Randle

By: LARRY VAUGHT

ATLANTA — Texas A&M coach Billy Kennedy watched Julius Randle play often during his prep career in Texas and tried to recruit him before Randle picked Kentucky.

That’s why he said it was no surprise to him when Randle was named Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Year.

“I was looking at some of the other leagues and he could have been Freshman of the Year I think in any of the leagues, in my opinion,” said Kennedy Wednesday. “He's a dominating player and just what (Texas A&M guard) Alex (Caruso) talked about, playing for 40 minutes, and understanding a sense of urgency, Julius Randle understands sense of urgency. He's wired that way and that's what makes him a special player.”

Randle was the only freshman named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches All-District 21 team Wednesday. He’s now eligible for the NABC Coaches’ Division I All-America teams.

He led UK in points (477) and rebounds (324) during the regular season and shot 52 percent from the field and 72.2 percent at the foul line. Randle led the SEC with 18 double-doubles and averaged 10.5 rebounds per game going into Friday’s SEC Tournament game.

Randle put up those numbers even though teams have often crowded the inside against UK and normally double-teamed him.

“He played that way in high school. I had chance to see him quite a bit. That's how people played him his whole career, so he's ready for that,” Kennedy said. “But to do it at this level, coaches always talk about motor and high energy guys and how special of a talent that is. He's separated himself in this league of having that probably as well as anybody.”

Kennedy said it is hard to teach a player how to become “wired” like Randle is.

“Every coach that you will ask that question to is frustrated today because we have got a number of guys on our team that are wired the other way,” Kennedy said. “So it's a special gift. Playing hard and I think that's a special talent in itself and it is hard to get guys to do that on their own.

“But when have you a guy like that, he can pull people with him, and it's not all on the coach to pull them with him. And I think that's what is special about him and that as they mature, he'll be able to pull them further along, I think.”
    Comments 7 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Good stuff.
      kingcat -
      Yes it is..thanks again Larry.

Keep'em coming!
      CitizenBBN -
      Great piece Larry. Interesting to get other perspectives on our players. We dont' see him being the "pull the team" guy we expected sometimes, but I'm betting Kennedy is closer to the truth than we are. It's just hard to herd cats, or freshmen.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by CitizenBBN View Post
      Great piece Larry. Interesting to get other perspectives on our players. We dont' see him being the "pull the team" guy we expected sometimes, but I'm betting Kennedy is closer to the truth than we are. It's just hard to herd cats, or freshmen.
      Did you see the Mythbusters episode on herding cats?
      UKFlounder -
      I did

Maybe they can try one with herding freshmen next...

Quote Originally Posted by dan_bgblue View Post
      Did you see the Mythbusters episode on herding cats?
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
      I did

Maybe they can try one with herding freshmen next...
      You think they would be any more successful?
      UKFlounder -
      Nope.
  • KSR Twitter Feed