Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with Patrick Towles' dad

George Whitfield Jr. is known as a “quarterback guru” and has worked with Andrew Luck and Cam Newton, both former No. 1 picks in the NFL draft. He’s been working with Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, another potential No. 1 pick, recently.

Soon he’ll be spending a week with Kentucky sophomore quarterback Patrick Towles, too, to help him work on his game before UK starts spring practice March 28. Towles is going to spend his upcoming spring break in California working with Whitfield and renew a relationship that started when Towles, then a quarterback at Highlands High School, met him at an Elite 11 camp in Los Angeles.

“Andrew Luck and Cam Newton swear by him. He is their guy and he’s working with a lot of guys now getting them ready for their Pro Day,” said Terry Towles, Patrick’s father. “He’s agreed to take Patrick on during spring break and Patrick is really excited. They had a good relationship before and Patrick knows it is time to get moving before spring football starts.”

Towles has already been working out some on his own with Donnie Walker, who has worked with current California offensive coordinator Tony Franklin. Walker conducts clinics in the same offense that UK offensive coordinator Neal Brown played in and now uses with his own tweaks.

“Patrick just wants to go out with Whitfield and have an extra eye look at him and see if he notices anything or has any suggestions,” Terry Towles said. “It will be good for him to get in a real good workout before spring practice starts. He’s throwing about three days a week now, but there’s not a whole lot the (UK) coaches can do. People don’t realize how little time the coaches are actually allowed to spend with them. The strength coach can be there, but the offensive coaches are there for spring practice and then again Aug. 1.

“If you are not out there working and doing a little extra, it’s hard to improve, and Patrick wants to get better. That’s why he has been doing some extra work with Donnie Walker, too. He (Walker) understands the Kentucky offense and has a really good grasp of it and can just point out things to Patrick.”

Towles was the premier player in UK’s 2012 recruiting class under then coach Joker Phillips. He was Kentucky’s Mr. Football and led Highlands to three straight state titles with a 44-1 record. He threw for 3,820 yards and 42 touchdowns with just one interception as a senior and threw for 7,429 yards and 73 scores in his career while also rushing for 1,718 yards and 38 scores. He was ranked as one of the top-10 pro-style quarterbacks in the country by Rivals.com and 24/7 Sports.

He played in five games in 2012 and completed 19 of 40 passes for 233 yards and a score. His first appearance against Mississippi State he led UK to a 71-yard scoring drive capped by a 32-yard touchdown pass, but he hurt his ankle in the win and was limited the rest of the season. Last year he was redshirted.

Towles goes into spring practice battling for playing time with Jalen Whitlow, Maxwell Smith, Reese Phillips and Drew Barker.

“The offseason has gone pretty good. He’s done a lot of agility and strength stuff and has done well,” Terry Towles said. “He just wants to be as ready as possible.”

Many speculated he would not stay at Kentucky after playing in only five games in two years. But his dad says the speculation never bothered his son.

“He is a very upbeat kid. He is excited about the opportunity he has to compete in the spring,” Terry Towles said. “His spirits are really good. He has had a lot of accomplishments in his life, but the thing I am most proud of is how he has conducted himself through this process. He has remained upbeat. He cheered for his team. He never ducked his head and hid.

“Just in general you see people face adversity and learn a lot about them. I think he has handled it well and it will make him a better quarterback one day. I am really proud of him. He just wants to get better and that’s truly the way he feels. He’s just like that. Unlike his father, he is very patient. He understands, and I agree, that it is all about timing. His time has not been there yet, but we all think it is going to come eventually, and hopefully that will be in the fall. If not, he will continue the same way about his business in the future.”

Terry Towles is not worried about his son placing too much pressure on himself this spring knowing Barker and Phillips are only freshmen and that Whitlow and Smith both have starting experience.

“He likes that. The more pressure, the better he plays. I don’t think that will be a factor in whether he’s successful or not,” Terry Towles said. “He likes that. He will feel the pressure obviously when he’s playing, but he has had that discussion with coach Brown and he says when he plays best is when there’s the most pressure. What stress is to some is not stress to others.

“He always wanted to go to UK to play and that will happen when the time is right. There are a lot of quarterbacks that have gone on to be a success that endured adversity during their careers. It’s just part of the learning curve and he understands that. He has kept a very positive attitude. I would not say there was never a down time, but he never showed it. He is confident in himself and that allows him to keep a positive attitude.”
    Comments 14 Comments
      dan_bgblue -
      The battle for @1 on the depth chart at QB is going to be a fun one to watch and read about.

Good read Larry V. Thanks!
      cattails -
      Barker is a true freshman, we learned a little about freshman on this years basketball team didn't we. Not saying Barker won't be the guy but it's easier said than done. Myself I think it is a 3 man race with Barker, Towles and Phillips. JMO but Smiths arm is gone and Whitlow is just not a QB (but he can be used at another position and that is best for him as well). Remember Mr. Cobb was also a QB that found another position and is now a star in the NFL, not just a player, a star. It should be interesting and I'm sure other have their favorite but this is what I see.
      jazyd -
      This and I think it is wide open if Towles does a good job of learning from these gurus

Quote Originally Posted by cattails View Post
      Barker is a true freshman, we learned a little about freshman on this years basketball team didn't we. Not saying Barker won't be the guy but it's easier said than done. Myself I think it is a 3 man race with Barker, Towles and Phillips. JMO but Smiths arm is gone and Whitlow is just not a QB (but he can be used at another position and that is best for him as well). Remember Mr. Cobb was also a QB that found another position and is now a star in the NFL, not just a player, a star. It should be interesting and I'm sure other have their favorite but this is what I see.
      CitizenBBN -
      Great piece Larry, very interesting.

Hope it clicks for him, having a guy with some time in the program to step up and take the spot would be great.
      ETWNAPPEL -
      If his twitter is any indication, Towles is just a really great kid. Big family guy who often praises his mother and sister. Loves Harry Potter and never says anything to embarrass himself. He always praises his teammates. I like him and hope he gives it his best.
      LarryVaught1 -
      You will not find a better kid than him
      catmanjack -
      Will be pulling for him.
      Padukacat -
      Awesome piece larry! Count me as a towles fan!
      MickintheHam -
      It is make or break time for Towles. Good to see him working on agility. If he gets a quicker release, he could be the guy.
      cattails -
      Quote Originally Posted by jazyd View Post
      This and I think it is wide open if Towles does a good job of learning from these gurus
      Yep wide open between the 3.
      BigBlue92 -
      Great article Larry. I am glad to see people more open to Towles. I thought a lot of people had written him off.

I am rooting for Pat, and for Barker to RS. If it works that way we can build a great pipeline of great QBs and let them develop. And hopefully win us a lot of ball games.
      catmanjack -
      Hard to write off a kid that is willing to put in the
      work to get better.
      MickintheHam -
      Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue92 View Post
      Great article Larry. I am glad to see people more open to Towles. I thought a lot of people had written him off.

I am rooting for Pat, and for Barker to RS. If it works that way we can build a great pipeline of great QBs and let them develop. And hopefully win us a lot of ball games.
      Towles still needs a lot of work, most of it in the lower half of his body. Quickness and agility would go a long way toward making him the guy. but, to date he has been a slow moving target. In our offense and with last year's OLine it wasn't a recipe for success. His advantage going into spring SHOULD be knowing the offense and quickly moving through the progressions.
      Jimcats -
      I only know about Towles what I've read here on the internet sites. I had high hopes for him and fully expected him to step directly into the starting role. When others passed him in the QB race, I started to think he was a spoiled kid who wasn't willing to put in the work it takes to play at the D-1 level. This article makes it sound as though he and his family are very serious (and willing to spend money) about trying their best to help Patrick get as good as he can be. And that makes my assumption dead wrong, which I am glad to see.

I'd be very happy to see him upgrade the QB race by giving the others, including Barker, a run for their money.
  • KSR Twitter Feed