Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Matthews' decision will not impact Kennard

By: LARRY VAUGHT

f five-star Chicago guard Charles Thomas verbally commits to Kentucky Wednesday morning as expected, it will have no impact on what UK target Luke Kennard does about where he’ll play his college basketball.

The 6-6 Matthews has Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State and Marquette as his final five schools. He is a combo guard who is ranked the No. 12 junior and No. 1 shooting guard nationally by 247Sports.com in the 2015 recruiting class.

Kennard is a 6-5 junior combo guard from Franklin, Ohio, who plans to make his college choice sometime late this spring. Kentucky, Duke, Louisville and Ohio State are some of the schools he’s still considering.

“Matthews’ decision will not impact Luke at all,” said Kennard’s father, Mark. “He wants to play with great players in college. He wants to play with great teammates. He will not be impacted by what any particular player does.

“Matthews is a shooting guard, but he can play more than one spot. Luke can play more than one spot. You want to win and get better in college, so you want great players with you.”

Franklin won its first postseason game 66-68 over Dayton Alter Monday when Kennard had 26 points against a box-and-one defense that allowed his teammates to get and hit open shots. Franklin plays again Saturday at 6 p.m. in Dayton against Thurgood Marshall.

“We beat a good team in the tournament and Luke was able to pass and rebound and let some teammates step up,” Mark Kennard said. “It was a great win for our community.

“Right now he is just trying to get wins for our team. He’s had a fun year and a great time with his teammates. We’re just continuing to look at improving and not really worrying about recruiting right here at tournament time.”
    Comments 7 Comments
      UKHistory -
      Late Spring, Kennard's decison is right around the corner. I am glad to hear the family say Matthews' decision won't impact Luke's college choice.

Have to take a player of Matthews' calibre. As much as we want Luke and as much as it sounds like Luke has great interest in UK, there are no guarantees. And Duke is a really choice school to attend.
      KeithKSR -
      I can see the two playing the two and three together.
      brianw508 -
      2 completely different players. i am just hoping newman doesn't decide to go elsewhere. or could this be the MKG effect, of getting a great one early and recruit and build relationships early?
      Crazy4Blue -
      How does it effect Newman?
      jazyd -
      He is a combo right now in hs but wants to be only a pg in college and Ul will still be here but he would definitely be behind Malik. The other two above would be behind Booker but Booker could also play the 3 if necessary so if we got all, we would have two for sure pg's, and 3 others that could play the 2 and 3. Not sure about Mathews but Booker and Kennard are both great shooters,

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4Blue View Post
      How does it effect Newman?
      Kacat -
      I still believe that Cal can sell just about anything. I can see him selling Mathews, Kennard and Newman on the court at the same time. Just don't see him being able to sell those three along with Booker and Ulis who I think return for their SO season.
      Doc -
      In a perfect world, I could see Newman as a PG, Matthews as a SG and Kennard as a 3 in much the same way UK currently uses Harrison/Harrison/Young
  • KSR Twitter Feed