Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Conversation with Aaron Harrison

By: LARRY VAUGHT

When he took a hard fall trying to put up a shot against LSU Saturday and banged his head on the Rupp Arena floor, Kentucky freshman guard Aaron Harrison wasn’t sure what to expect.

“I was scared at first because you can’t see how you’re falling but I knew I had to get up fast. The longer I laid there, the more it would hurt so I knew I had to get myself up,” said Harrison. “I think I was more scared than anything. It just a scary feeling, falling and you don’t know where you’re falling or what you’re going to hit and I hit the ground pretty hard so I just tried to pop up as fast as possible.”

Not only did he get up and make free throws, but on LSU’s next possession he dove on the floor for a loose ball and slid into seats on the Rupp Arena sideline.

“My head was hurt. I hit my head, and my back and my neck was hurting so I think I just had to get up for my teammates,” he said. “You can’t really think about it, you can’t feel sorry for yourself or nothing like that. That’s not what we’re about. I just had to fight through something that, some pain. Not a big deal.”

His twin brother, Andrew Harrison, seemed more concerned than Aaron when his brother hit the floor.
    “He’s my brother. If your brother looks like that and gets hit like that, you’re going to be concerned too,” Aaron Harrison said.

Of course, he got into another pile-up when UK won the game in overtime thanks to Julius Randle’s game-winning shot with 3.9 seconds left. He was part of the group that piled on top of Randle after the game ended.

“It was a really tough win. They played really well. We just grinded it out,” Harrison said. “It was really fun (piling on Randle). I think it’s going to bring us closer together. I think it helped us a lot, become more of a team. We had another overtime game (at Arkansas) and we lost it and we didn’t want to lose another one.”
    He admitted players probably were relieved as they celebrated after avoiding a home-court loss that would have been damaging to UK’s NCAA Tournament seeding.

“I think that was a big thing, too, that was just fun. We enjoyed that. We were all happy for Julius that he hit the shot and we just all wanted to win. Whatever it takes to win,” he said.
    He says having fun at this level is not easy for any player or team.

“But you can’t really enjoy basketball, you can’t play as many games as we play or practice as much as can if it’s not fun so we have to find fun in it. I think we make it fun for each other,” he said. “I think we definitely needed it because it was fun. We just make sure playing basketball as serious as we do, we still have to make it fun or you won’t really play that long.

“We (are) still just going to keep working hard, just keep fighting, doing little things. I think that’s why we won. We scratched and crawled to get the win. So I think we’re going to build off of this game and keep getting better.”
    Comments 15 Comments
      Genuine Realist -
      I get the impression Aaron is the more vocal of the two.
      TonyRay -
      I was in the man cave when that happened and yelled out oh, ooh! She didn't know what happened but I was scared for Aaron at that moment?
      kingcat -
      Impressive young man. Thanks Larry
      dan_bgblue -
      He took a pretty nasty whack to the back of his head and the whiplash to the neck had to have made it sore after a while. I figured he would be pulled from the game to check him out for a concussion. His head has probably stopped hurting except for the immediate impact area. He is a tough young man and I hope there are no lingering after effects.
      Krank -
      JOB3 should have had his ass kicked for that tackle (which was NOT incidental contact, just smoothly sold intentional contact, i.e. O'B be dir-TY). I immediately noticed how maturely, and with a definitive display of toughness, Aaron handled the entire incident, popping back up and calmly sinking both FT's.
      Genuine Realist -
      It wasn't incidental, but it also wasn't intentional. Aaron was on JOB's blind side. He went for the ball, never saw AA H., who went flying.

So the foul was called, as it had to be, but it wasn't a flagrant foul.
      Krank -
      Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post
      It wasn't incidental, but it also wasn't intentional. Aaron was on JOB's blind side. He went for the ball, never saw AA H., who went flying.

So the foul was called, as it had to be, but it wasn't a flagrant foul.

I understand that to be the "story". I simply do not believe it.

I believe JOB knew EXACTLY where Aaron was, from how the play was forming in the seconds before and right on through the whole play. He shifted his entire big body's weight over into him with strong intent to knock him completely out of the play and he did it with precise timing. Just because JOB doesn't look directly at Aaron immediately prior to contact is there a reason to just take for granted that JOB had no idea he was there.

That is my take from watching the whole thing closely, which includes, I admit, my personal view on JOB's body and eye language before, during, and after what I opine to have been a not-called flagrant ONE.

Again, he sold it well. I just ain't buyin'. JMO.
      Genuine Realist -
      It's not a story. It's the way it looks on TV. He actually reaches for the ball.

Stuff happens.
      dan_bgblue -
      Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Realist View Post
      It's not a story. It's the way it looks on TV. He actually reaches for the ball.

Stuff happens.
      I agree, and the real time view, plus the replays show that the contact was not intentional by JOB and if anything it was caused by Harrison veering into him on the way to the hoop. jmho As I said in another thread, I do not have a recording of the game to go back and review so I am working on what I saw yesterday during the broadcast and that was what I thought then.
      Krank -
      Agree to disagree, GR.

Opinion happens.
      KeithKSR -
      O'Bryant knew he was there. That doesn't mean it was intentional.
      UKHistory -
      I screamed when I saw it. It hurt to watch and I prayed he was ok. That is the kind of head and neck injury that can result in a person being paralyzed.

I was at Freedom Hall when the cheerleader Dale Baldwin broke his neck. I saw it. And I was really scared for Aaron. The young man showed a lot of heart to go back out there and play.

I don't know if O'Bryant tried to hurt Aaron. I would like to think not.
      kingcat -
      O'Bryant was just running to the water fountain with his back to the play I think.

Seriously, it seems strange that he was facing the basket while still moving fast five feet from the end line.
      CitizenBBN -
      With the new rules it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not if it was excessive. I don't think Bryant intended to foul him that hard but he absolutely knew where he was, he was defending Aaron on the break trying to cut him off on the lob pass, which means the contact was initiated by him trying to block Aaron out.

Per the rulebook:

Flagrant 1 personal foul. A flagrant 1 personal foul is a personal foul that
      is deemed excessive in nature and/or unnecessary, but is not based solely
      on the severity of the act. Examples include, but are not limited to:
      1. Causing excessive contact with an opponent;
      2. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player,
      specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting;
      3. Pushing or holding a player from behind to prevent a score;
      48 Rule 4 / Definitions
      4. Fouling a player clearly away from the ball who is not directly
      involved with the play, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock
      from starting; and
      5. Contact with a player making a throw-in.
      6. Illegal contact caused by swinging of an elbow which is deemed
      excessive or unnecessary but does not rise to the level of a flagrant 2
      personal foul (see Rule 4-18.7)

Doesn't have to be intentional or having anything to do with making a play on the ball IF it was "excessive".

the refs have allowed that to mean if the contact itself was excessive, not the outcome IMO. I disagree with them and think either one should qualify for flagrant 1. In the NBA that's how they do it in general, to protect the players, and I like that philosophy.

Intent wont' mean crap to the kid in a wheelchair the rest of his life. If you're beat on a play like that and the option is to foul a guy who is up in midair and will have no way to control his fall, that's a Flagrant 1. Period. It's just too dangerous a play to be allowed in the game. If you take out a guy flying to the basket it's Flagrant 1. Simple, clear, prevents a lot of dangerous plays. Sorry you got beat on the break, take the ball out of bounds and go play offense.

It won't solve it all, but it will stop a lot of dangerous contact.

Hanging on the rim was another one that was dumber than hell, no other way to put it nicely. For the price of a kid showboating we risk their life? Fortunately that was changed, players can now hold on if they don't chin up.
      Darrell KSR -
      No injuries, please.
  • KSR Twitter Feed