Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• Things to watch for: LSU Rematch Edition

By: Tyler Adkins

With the Cats coming off of a road win in Oxford that may have included the best play of the year for long-stretches, the Cats will look to continue that play with LSU coming to town for a rematch game. As you may painfully recall, LSU took it to UK down in Baton Rouge and caused a mini-firestorm across the Big Blue Nation and in the national media. Today, UK gets a chance to get revenge on the team that caused them to drop an unheard of 7 spots in the polls after a single loss. With that, let's get to the things to watch for:

*Here's Johnny

There really could only be one thing to watch for but I wouldn't do that to you. However, Johnny O'Bryant was that good against UK the first time around scoring 29 points and grabbing 9 rebounds. He simply embarrassed Julius Randle and Cauley-Stein. Randle was held to his worst game of the year and often looked as though he did not want to fight with O'Bryant to get the win. That is not meant as a knock on Randle, it is simply to show how dominating O'Bryant was in that game. The key to stopping him is to have someone be physical with him and not allow him to push guys around down low to get rebounds. That is his main calling card and if UK can find someone willing to accept the challenge of matching up with him, then UK should be able to get this win. I am looking for O'Bryant to have less than 7 rebounds and 14 points.

*Leaving a Hickey

Anthony Hickey was not recruited by UK and was barely recruited by many SEC powers when he chose LSU. During the last game, Hickey proved to be, dare I say, a pain in the neck for UK in the second half. UK has no one who is as quick as him and he simply ran up the court with the ball and either scored or dropped an assist on what seemed to be every second half play. Hickey had 6 assists and 11 points but it felt like he controlled the game late. I expect UK to use a lot of zone today to attempt to keep Hickey from blowing by guys on the dribble drive and not letting him get in transition. UK will look to use length and strength to slow down Hickey and if the defense gets back in transition, it will make life difficult for the pint-sized speedster. I am looking for Hickey to have less than 6 points.

*Finishing Kick

UK has been a second half team all season long and it was beyond surprising in the last two games to see them struggle late in the game. They have started to come out strong but then have a tendency to fade away toward the end of the games. I am not sure if it is fatigue or a lack of focus, but either way they better get it fixed soon. UK needs to outscore LSU by four points or more in the final 10 minutes of the second half and I think it will prove to be a good night for BBN.

That is all for today. Go Big Blue.
    Comments 6 Comments
      Darrell KSR -
      Thanks, Tyler. Enjoy reading this before the game.
      Jimcats -
      Bottom line: doesn't matter which, finish strong/start strong, we're to the point in the season where the Cats will soon have to play well and strong for 40 minutes. The big question is will they do it in March. They could help their stock tremendously for NCAA tournament seeding with a win at Florida and then again in the SEC tournament. That's asking a lot but if the Cats can't do it, there's little reason to expect them to go deep at the Big Show.
      KSRBEvans -
      LSU gives up 41% from 3 in SEC games, last in the conference. UK made 9/20 in the first game. UK doesn't normally take a lot of 3s, but an exception is called for today, IMHO.
      kingcat -
      Let loose the Beast!!
      dan_bgblue -
      Tyler, I think this is truly amazing that none of the things you/we thought would need to happen happened, but that is also reflected in a 1 point overtime win
      KSRBEvans -
      Quote Originally Posted by KSRBEvans View Post
      LSU gives up 41% from 3 in SEC games, last in the conference. UK made 9/20 in the first game. UK doesn't normally take a lot of 3s, but an exception is called for today, IMHO.
      Boy, that guy's suggestion sucked!
  • KSR Twitter Feed