Having trouble getting registered or subscribing? Email us at info@kysportsreport.com or Private Message CitizenBBN and we'll get you set up!

• NBA draft analyst Ed Isaacson on Cats

By: LARRY VAUGHT

Kentucky freshman Aaron Harrison admitted Monday it was not easy knowing NBA scouts are monitoring every game to evaluate players while also trying to make sure players keep a team-first attitude.

“I think that’s the biggest question for all of us. We all, all of our lives, have just been worrying about ourselves. When you put that group of people all together, it’s really hard,” said Harrison. “Coach (John Calipari) said it’s impossible, really. So, I mean, we’re just trying to do the impossible and see where it goes. We’re really getting better at it.”

Ed Isaacson (@nbadraftblog on Twitter) evaluates players nationally for NBADraftBlog.com. He predicted early this season that UK’s highly-touted freshmen might struggle more than some projected and wasn’t as high on Kentucky having as many 2014 NBA draft first-round picks as many anticipated.
    With the start of NCAA Tournament play only four weeks away, Isaacson offered these insights on the Wildcats from a NBA analyst’s perspective.

Question: Since you noted two months ago that UK's freshmen lacked many fundamental basketball skills, are you surprised at all that UK has not developed into a dominant team?
    Isaacson: “Not surprised at all. It's a process that takes time and there's a lot of catching up to do. When you add to it that the sophomores, Willie Cauley-Stein and Alex Poythress, are also still working on developing the fundamentals, it was bound to be a longer growing process than many would have hoped.”

Question: Even though many still project Willie Cauley-Stein as a possible lottery pick, has his recent demise made that possible? What must he do to put himself back in the lottery, or maybe the first round?
    Isaacson: “Cauley-Stein's play certainly wasn't great recently, but any team that was possibly picking him this year certainly wasn't doing it with the idea of playing him a lot quickly. What appeals to NBA teams is his length, ability to block shots, and run the floor. Many teams will take a player with that base and hope to work on the other parts of the game over the first two years. If he was to come out, I still wouldn't be wholly surprised if he was taken near the end of the lottery, and almost certainly think he is in the first round. Though, for the rest of this season, and if he does declare, through pre-draft workouts, teams want to see the effort. No one expects him to be polished, but they want to see him out there working hard.”

Question: What do you think of the recent speculation that the Harrison twins, Andrew and Aaron, will be back at UK for another season?
    Isaacson: “I'm not really surprised because this kind of speculation by the media is what gets page views. Obviously not a scientific stat, but it really seems that three out of every four college basketball stories this year has to do with freshmen. It starts with all the stories hyping them, then come the stories that they aren't playing well. Now the next hope will be that they will play well again so those writing the stories can put new stories up saying that they may just be first round picks again. There's a reason that you give freshmen a whole year before you really evaluate them. Things change quickly, especially once February and March come around. So don't read too much into any speculation.”

Question: In spite of the criticism the Harrison twins have received, are they still legitimate future first-round picks and solid NBA players?
    Isaacson: “In terms of talent, both twins can certainly be future first round picks, even though both showed fundamental flaws in their games so far this season. Andrew really hasn't shown that he can be a high-level point guard and Aaron hasn't been a consistent enough shooter for a high-level shooting guard. Those two things are critical for them in terms of their pro futures. The attitude issue is another thin entirely and that is what ends up being what NBA teams see when they watch them play this year. They don't seem like bad kids at all, but sometimes when you get called for a foul or make a bad play, you just put it aside and keep playing. No need for the ‘shocked’ looks and complaining to the refs and coach Calipari, even if they are right.”

Question: What do you think of James Young's play and has he helped his NBA stock?
    Isaacson: “There's no denying Young's athleticism, and he's a good shooter when makes sure to get set, but I don't think as highly of him as many do. It's nothing against Young, but the reality is there are plenty of James Young-type players on NBA benches and the D-League is full of them, so I wouldn't see a real need to take him too high. I do think Young has impressed teams with his ability to defend well when he tries to and along with Randle, Young's effort seems to be the most consistent of the Kentucky rotation. Young's biggest problem is he spends too much time trying to be a player he's not, or at least not yet. Focus on being the consistent shooter the team needs and don't worry about creating scoring opportunities that just aren't there.”

Question: Have teams found weaknesses in Julius Randle's play and could he still be a top five pick? Where do you see him needing the most work to be ready for the NBA?
    Isaacson: “I think I addressed early in the season that teams were going to figure out Randle's go-to moves and his weak right hand, and teams also saw the same thing. Now some teams just don't have the strength to stop Randle, even knowing what he is going to do, but even so, I have seen Randle try to do different things, like going to his right and looking for teammates off the dribble. He's still not very good at it, but you really shouldn't expect him to be. The fact that he is not shying away from working on his expanding his game is a very good thing. I see no reason why Randle couldn't be a Top 5 pick, and if he wasn't, it's likely because a team had a different kind of player in mind and not a knock on Randle's game. The biggest areas he still needs to work on, along with what I mentioned already, are his defense and being able to knock down mid-range jumpers. Randle has the raw tools to be a good defender, he's just not very good at it yet and it's really about getting him to focus on the basics of playing defense. The shooting will be vital down the road as he's going to be up against many more players who are as strong as him and he needs to add the versatility to his game.”

Question: What are your thoughts on Alex Poythress? Has his improved play shown you he is NBA ready yet or not?
    Isaacson: “I like that Poythress has finally seemed to embrace his role on this team, and being the guy who crashes the boards and runs the floor suits his strengths perfectly. He's certainly not NBA-ready, and it's tough to find any college player with such a narrow role who is. As many have said all along, the raw tools are there for Poythress to be a complete player, though not what was envisioned of him two years ago.”

Question: What potential do you see in Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee?
    Isaacson: “I've said it before, but how Dakari Johnson was ever considered a five-star prospect is beyond me. It's great that he seems to be hustling more than many when he's out there and he has good size, but he is just very awkward on both ends of the floor. Still, with his size and the fact that he seems to want to work to improve, he may turn out to be a serviceable post player next year. But he is in the group with the Harrisons in that he just needs to stop with the whining every time he commits a foul or makes a mistake.
    “Lee seems to me like he could be an interesting player, but he's in a tough situation where he just isn't getting enough court time to really improve. That really puts it on him to do double the work during the off-season to put him in position to compete with the new players next year. But long and athletic players are always valuable, and if coached correctly, he can be turned into a player.”
    Comments 50 Comments
      LakeCat -
      Ouch, the truth stings sometimes, doesn't it. Sounds like the Twins and & Young need to be coming back which would be nice. Not ever buying the second coming hype again.
      KeithKSR -
      Quote Originally Posted by LakeCat View Post
      Ouch, the truth stings sometimes, doesn't it. Sounds like the Twins and & Young need to be coming back which would be nice. Not ever buying the second coming hype again.
      Randle is the only guy who should consider going. Will he be? Nope.
      kingcat -
      Thanks Larry.

I hope Ed is wrong because he almost has me wishing we had some talent on this team

The statement about Dakari is a little offbase and out of place imho.
      catmanjack -
      It's not the players that are at fault it's the system the NBA.
      How can you fault a kid when all they here is how great they are
      and where they are going to be drafted before they play a game
      plus the amount of money they will be paid for not playing.
      Teague and Lamb are great examples, they barely play but make
      great money on their job.
      Kacat -
      They all need to come back. None are really ready for the NBA but the problem is that somebody in the NBA will pay them a lot of money to come out this year. It is a flawed system but it is what it is.
      dan_bgblue -
      kingcat, I love Johnson, and he is improving, maybe more than any player on the team since day one, but his skill set is very limited. He is very good within that set of skills, but I do view him as awkward. He is still growing into his frame and doing things he never had to do in high school. He has the ability to be a very good player by year 3 and will be a high first round pick by then. jmho
      Darryl -
      It should be remembered that Dakari did not turn 18 till September, 1995 and James Young did not
      turn 18 till August, 1995.

Both are nearly a full year younger than the other 5* guys, both at UK and nationally.

Darryl
      catmanjack -
      I see big Nazi in Johnson and really enjoy his play, could careless what
      an NBA scout says about his game.
      UKFlounder -
      So that would make both about 36 years old now, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
      It should be remembered that Dakari did not turn 18 till September, 1995 and James Young did not
      turn 18 till August, 1995.

Both are nearly a full year younger than the other 5* guys, both at UK and nationally.

Darryl
      LarryVaught1 -
      I like Ed because he has no ties to Calipari and is not afraid to be blunt honest where some other analysts have ties to UK, Calipari and will never ever be critical/honest
      kingcat -
      To say,

“I've said it before, but how Dakari Johnson was ever considered a five-star prospect is beyond me.

..just very awkward on both ends of the floor.

Still, with his size and the fact that he seems to want to work to improve, he may turn out to be a serviceable post player next year.

He just needs to stop with the whining every time he commits a foul or makes a mistake

..is much less than a compliment of any kind. Dakari is most certainly a "servicable center" at present as I see it and has been starting for this UK team over WCS.
      Frosh Big men are hard pressed to make an instant impact at this level.
      Servicable college centers are playing at the mid major level.

Still, I enjoy reading what guys like this have to say and I'm sure he has some valuable insights on some things prospect related.
      catmanjack -
      Need more NBA guys like him to stop this trend and help push the age limit.
      The NBA product is bad and that is dropping down to college.
      KentuckyWildcat -
      I thought he was hard on Dakari but over all I agree with him.
      StuBleedsBlue2 -
      Pretty much the same thing I and several others have been saying.

So, here's a scenario to consider, let's say that everybody but Randle, and maybe Willie, comes back. With the depth on the front line coming in next season, in addition to the returnees, do we consider a redshirt for Lee and/or Willis?
      UKFlounder -
      If that many come back, I expect we have at least one transfer out, probably Lee, but that's just a guess on my part
      catmanjack -
      I would but Cal wont.
      catmanjack -
      We all want great players at UK but we also want great players
      that will stay more then one year.
      KeithKSR -
      Isaacson lobbying for a team to waste a pick on Renardo Sydney:

The Verdict – Saying this surprises me as much as anyone, but I really believe that a NBA team needs to take a legitimate chance on Sidney. The raw talent is still there, and you can see flashes in almost every game, but there is some kind of disconnect which is preventing him from putting the mental and physical aspects of the game together. But, if a team was going to make a legitimate commitment to trying to salvage what is left of his potential, I think they are going to have to go and find a way to bring him into their system immediately. Now, this certainly doesn’t mean using a draft pick on him, though if I am a team with few needs and a late 2nd round pick. The risk/reward potential with Sidney could be worth it. Remember, he wasn’t exactly surrounded with quality coaching in Starkville either. It is certainly worth more than stashing another international player who will never come over, or if they do, leave quickly because they can’t adjust. So, as of now, I don’t think Sidney will be drafted, but I know that if he at least handles his team workouts with maturity, there will be a team that sees what I do, and may even use that end of the 2nd round pick on him. Even if it doesn’t pan out, it is certainly a better pick than that Majok pick was last year.
      Padukacat -
      Interesting, pretty accurate. What i do think is that these guys are just better college type guys. The harrions and dakari will make good college players if they just dont jump too soon. Theyll make their money someday, enjoy this ride at uk it just happens once. Theyll never be high lotto but they will have nice careers.
      CitizenBBN -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kacat View Post
      They all need to come back. None are really ready for the NBA but the problem is that somebody in the NBA will pay them a lot of money to come out this year. It is a flawed system but it is what it is.
      This. None of them are ready to defend or run a pro offense, not even close. But more than one will go for sure.

That very fact is why the NBA owners want to raise the age limit, so they can stop taking kids who aren't ready to play for at least 2 years into their 3 year deal and diluting the product quality.

Compare any of these guys to Mash as a junior, when it was still a question if he'd "go early" and tell me the NBA product hasn't been diluted massively by the CBA allowing such an early entry process.

I have to agree with him on Young. I like the guy, see lots of potential there, but 6'5"-6'7" guys who are solid shooters and athletic are pretty common. He needs to do something to differentiate himself and I don't see it, other than that he came to UK and that seems to add 20 or so spots to your draft stock.
  • KSR Twitter Feed